Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you think of Australia as 'home' yet?

Do you think of Australia as 'home' yet?

Old May 18th 2006, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all
Default Re: Do you think of Australia as 'home' yet?

Nope, never will, neither.

A absoultely great place to live, but never my home.

Just like I cant call my MIL "mum" just not happening, and its weak to do so.....

I love England too much and have an England Heart.... Aussie is great , unfortunately just NOT that great I am afraid...
Old May 18th 2006, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
My husband is the Australian, I am the one on the spouse visa, but it was me who suggested and drove the move to it's final completion. My hub had left as a disgruntled 19 year old who didn't like Australia and preferred the UK due to work being better for him.
We met in the UK at a party in london, and we married a year later. We've had three children in our 12 yr marriage, and he has built up an excellent reputation within his industry in the UK.
What he never really thought of was how Australia would be better for his children until I started to mention it.
Our business collapsed after the 9/11 tragedy and we lost many US friends who worked at the WTC. Our clients went bust owing us thousands, and the bottom dropped out of the market. I found I was pregnant and with an undiagnosed thyroid problem, I nearly lost the baby twice, then I nearly died having our son and three weeks later, he developed viral meningitis and we were back in hospital.

Through all this, our stress levels were huge, my husband was trying to work and look after us all, I had no family who even turned up when our lives were so close to the line, and some days we went without food so that the children could eat .... It was a nightmare of extreme insanity and I never ever want to be there again.

Eventually my hub got a job and got his confidence back. The industry started to recover, we remortgaged to pay off our debts we'd accumulated whilst trying to survive... and then it hit me.....

What the heck were we doing in the UK, struggling with a mortgage, a family who didn't want to know and the weather?
So we came here to Australia... and when people ask where I think of as home, I think of how 'home' really is the love of a good family and keeping those family members nurtured enough so that they grow into great human beings ... and if it means moving your home to another country to get that, then so be it.
Home for me isn't about 'stuff' or possessions, it's about life, and living and quality of that life.
So yes, Australia is home and I'm proud to call it so. It's fabulous and I don't regret one single moment of my decision to bring us here... apart from the cockroaches.
You have had a rough time of it. But you got through it and i think it makes you stronger.
We also went through some difficult times, and my family where there always for us, hubby his family was nowhere to be seen, he does not miss them or UK.
For me it is a struggle sometimes because my family is very close and miss them terribly, but having web cam helps.
Mum and dad being here for 3 months has set me back , so i am not coping too well at the moment, they go back Monday, and i just cant talk to anyone without bursting into tears. I also miss my oldest son .
Its so nice to read stories like yours, good luck to you, Denise
Old May 18th 2006, 3:56 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by finsbury
I still don't. I guess there does come a point in time when you do think of it as home. Or maybe not? I thought it would have something to do with being settled but I don't think it does. I have no desire to live in England but I do still think of it as home. Maybe that's just one of the things you never get over with having your heart in two different places.

Geez I'm procrastinating today. Oh well....back to work.....
Finsbury...sorry cannot be arsed to read through the pages of replies already.

Your details still state London as your "location"...does that give you a clue?

and to answer your question, nope after four years this place is still not home, I hear it every time I never think and talk about home!

I have always had my heart in two places after growing up in Belfast and then spending my married life in the South East of England. I still like where I am and will make an effort....but .....when will I win the lottery so I can live 6 months in each!!!!
Old May 18th 2006, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

finsbury will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Sandra]Finsbury...sorry cannot be arsed to read through the pages of replies already.

Your details still state London as your "location"...does that give you a clue?
QUOTE]

It's funny, I noticed I hadn't changed that the other day and it was the first time I'd seen it since moving to Australia. I love London but I think I've gone past London life. Which is why I was happy to leave for Australia. Though London was my home in one sense given that I'd spent the vast majority of my adult life there. But when I think of 'home' now I think of my childhood/teenage home in the NE. A place where I haven't lived for 20 years! I was desperate to get out of sunny South Shields as an 18 year old but I guess part of me never left there despite all my attempts to do so.

And that's not surprising given that's where my family are and some of the best friends that anyone could ever ask for. I think what the last few days has shown me is that its probably time to move on but that moving on isn't as easy as I thought it would be. But that's alright
Old May 19th 2006, 4:35 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Do you think of Australia as 'home' yet?

Originally Posted by iPom
My husband is the Australian, I am the one on the spouse visa, but it was me who suggested and drove the move to it's final completion. My hub had left as a disgruntled 19 year old who didn't like Australia and preferred the UK due to work being better for him.

We met in the UK at a party in london, and we married a year later. We've had three children in our 12 yr marriage, and he has built up an excellent reputation within his industry in the UK.

What he never really thought of was how Australia would be better for his children until I started to mention it.

Our business collapsed after the 9/11 tragedy and we lost many US friends who worked at the WTC. Our clients went bust owing us thousands, and the bottom dropped out of the market. I found I was pregnant and with an undiagnosed thyroid problem, I nearly lost the baby twice, then I nearly died having our son and three weeks later, he developed viral meningitis and we were back in hospital.

Through all this, our stress levels were huge, my husband was trying to work and look after us all, I had no family who even turned up when our lives were so close to the line, and some days we went without food so that the children could eat .... It was a nightmare of extreme insanity and I never ever want to be there again.

Eventually my hub got a job and got his confidence back. The industry started to recover, we remortgaged to pay off our debts we'd accumulated whilst trying to survive... and then it hit me.....

What the heck were we doing in the UK, struggling with a mortgage, a family who didn't want to know and the weather?

So we came here to Australia... and when people ask where I think of as home, I think of how 'home' really is the love of a good family and keeping those family members nurtured enough so that they grow into great human beings ... and if it means moving your home to another country to get that, then so be it.

Home for me isn't about 'stuff' or possessions, it's about life, and living and quality of that life.

So yes, Australia is home and I'm proud to call it so. It's fabulous and I don't regret one single moment of my decision to bring us here... apart from the cockroaches.
What a truly inspirational post.

Respect! Karma sent!