Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you think of Australia as 'home' yet?

Do you think of Australia as 'home' yet?

Old May 17th 2006, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think of Australia as 'home' yet?

yes
Old May 17th 2006, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pasquill
I have been here almost 2 years now and Australia is home.
I absolutely love it here and would not want to live anywhere else.

Sharon

I 2nd that - 20 months and has started to feel like home - wouldn't even want to consider moving.
Old May 17th 2006, 7:15 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Been here 16 months, and defiantly feel that Australia is my home.
Feel totally comfortable here.
Why so defiantly? <g>
Old May 17th 2006, 7:15 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by finsbury
I still don't. I guess there does come a point in time when you do think of it as home. Or maybe not? I thought it would have something to do with being settled but I don't think it does. I have no desire to live in England but I do still think of it as home. Maybe that's just one of the things you never get over with having your heart in two different places.

Geez I'm procrastinating today. Oh well....back to work.....
As soon as we made the decision to come back here and pack up in the UK, Perth felt like home. It still does.
Doesnt mean I dont miss aspects of the UK, and for all its faults im still able to appreciate it for what it is and how its influenced me.
Old May 17th 2006, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

finsbury will become famous soon enough

I think that really gets close to hitting the nail on the head for me. I don't really think of 'home' that much in the normal course of events and then something will just come along and make me ponder. Think it had a lot to do with the FA Cup final over the weekend which used to be a day out with the lads in days gone by. Guess I just miss my old friends. Which brings back memories of places that I've once called home.

Well back to the present, I'm off 'home' to cook tea. Have a good evening or day in your various parts of the world and enjoy your home wherever that maybe.

Originally Posted by Ozzy dog
Hi,

This is something that I keep saying and being corrected on. I refer constantly to the 'UK' as home. My eldest will correct me by saying you are home. When I wright to my old boss and say I'm homesick - he comes back with, you are home.

At the moment I have absolutely no desire to return to the UK (home), we've been here 16 months, but clearly at the moment I consider it a home that I've had and still refer to in that way. When I use the term home here I mean our house, not Australia yet. I think it can take time, I feel that we are still very much settling in and I'm very much missing my family which has probably got alot to do with how I view things.

Tracey
Old May 17th 2006, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Toryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond repute

I think that really gets close to hitting the nail on the head for me. I don't really think of 'home' that much in the normal course of events and then something will just come along and make me ponder. Think it had a lot to do with the FA Cup final over the weekend which used to be a day out with the lads in days gone by. Guess I just miss my old friends. Which brings back memories of places that I've once called home.

Well back to the present, I'm off 'home' to cook tea. Have a good evening or day in your various parts of the world and enjoy your home wherever that maybe.

isnt Tea something you drink ?

Old May 17th 2006, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toryglen-Boy
isnt Tea something you drink ?

Not if you are from the north it is your evening meal

I call home where ever i am with my family, when im on holiday i refer to my caravan/hotel as home

when i do get to oz i will call that home as my hubby and kids will be there.
as a song line goes where ever i lay my hat ,thats my home
Mandy

Last edited by geordie mandy; May 17th 2006 at 9:30 am.
Old May 17th 2006, 10:00 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
Why so defiantly? <g>
Because we never felt 'at home' in England for the last few years of living there - we were always scooting off to somewhere else to find a 'home' and place to find roots.

Here we just feel totally immersed in the way of life, and the people we have had the pleasure to make friends with and work for.

Difficult to explain...just such a strong gut feeling - a place I belong to.
Old May 17th 2006, 10:03 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Because we never felt 'at home' in England for the last few years of living there - we were always scooting off to somewhere else to find a 'home' and place to find roots.

Here we just feel totally immersed in the way of life, and the people we have had the pleasure to make friends with and work for.

Difficult to explain...just such a strong gut feeling - a place I belong to.
Yes but why defiantly
Old May 17th 2006, 10:13 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraser
Yes but why defiantly
Because I said so
Old May 17th 2006, 10:17 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I made a conscious decision as soon as we arrived not to refer to the UK as home - it was the UK, home was where I was with my immediate family.
Me too. But on the other hand, I do feel at home here anyway. Have done since early on. I can't explain why, I just felt as if I slotted right in here and wouldn't be anywhere else now
Old May 17th 2006, 10:31 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe that's just one of the things you never get over with having your heart in two different places.
I had no such problems....my heart wasn't in England
Old May 17th 2006, 10:33 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Not if you are from the north it is your evening meal
Yep - breakfast, dinner, tea and supper
Old May 17th 2006, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
Yep - breakfast, dinner, tea and supper

a man after my own heart cant beat 4 meals a day
Mandy
Old May 17th 2006, 10:37 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

I too made a conscious decision not to refer to the UK as home once I arrived in Aus; mainly because I plan to settle here permanently and wanted to think of Adelaide as home from day one.

Interestingly I don't really find at the moment I have any reason to talk about home in that sense (only in the sense of coming back to my house after work etc) but I think it'll crop up when I go back to the UK next month for my daughter's wedding.

I think I'll realise then that Adelaide really is home, and although I'm really looking forward to catching up with everyone while in back in the UK, I'm expecting to also look forward to coming back home at the end of my trip.

That's my take on the question anyway.

Elaine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.