Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do the states mean anything to you identitywise?

Do the states mean anything to you identitywise?

Old Jan 15th 2011, 4:39 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do the states mean anything to you identitywise?

Many Australians have said that the states should be abolished altogether and have one big Australia. I don't think those people are being very realistic or are not familiar with some geographic basic facts. Unlike, New Zealand, which can function as a unitary state, Australia is far too vast to be one.

Besides, Australia is a classic federal country where the parts of the federation, ie. the states, predate the federation itself.

Having said all this, do the states mean anything at all to an average Australian? I'm sure that given the huge size of Australia your local community means very much to you but I just don't believe the states have anything endearing about them. I'm sure that every Aussie is proud to be an Aussie and proud of his home town or village but that intermediate level surely can't mean that much to anyone? I may be wrong on this one though. I won't be ashamed to admit I'm wrong if someone comes along and tells me how proud he is to live in a state x which is so much better than state y.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 6:20 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Do the states mean anything to you identitywise?

Originally Posted by THR
do the states mean anything at all to an average Australian?
I'm not an average Australian (in fact I'm not Australian at all yet) but....

Originally Posted by THR
I'm sure that given the huge size of Australia your local community means very much to you but I just don't believe the states have anything endearing about them. I'm sure that every Aussie is proud to be an Aussie and proud of his home town or village but that intermediate level surely can't mean that much to anyone? I may be wrong on this one though. I won't be ashamed to admit I'm wrong if someone comes along and tells me how proud he is to live in a state x which is so much better than state y.
yes the states are pretty important. When I arrived I immediately considered myself a Victorian, for which you need no formal documentation! Many Aussies identify with their state, in fact people are still considered products of their state long after they have moved interstate.

There are also several stereotypes associated with each state just like there are with countries in Europe, which people happily use to rib each other.

BB
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do the states mean anything to you identitywise?

I like being a Victorian. As well as having the coolest nickname the state is one of the better managed ones (although I guess may not have always been the case).

When I come back from other states I always feel pleased to be back in Victoria. It feels like home. As said above you can feel Victorian without necessarily being an Aussie.

As for getting rid of the states. Bad idea. Centralised government will favour Sydney and the rest of the country will lose out. The much touted duplication will still exist after centralisation except it'll be worse as there will be an additional level of management and it'll be unelected.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by THR

Having said all this, do the states mean anything at all to an average Australian?
It certainly means something to the average Australian, but to me, as a Brit, it means bugger all.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, would always put the fact we live in Queensland before Australia. Don't really know why.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:45 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I like being a Victorian. As well as having the coolest nickname
What

I don't think being called mexicans is very cool
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

As for getting rid of the states. Bad idea. Centralised government will favour Sydney and the rest of the country will lose out. The much touted duplication will still exist after centralisation except it'll be worse as there will be an additional level of management and it'll be unelected.
I think this is an excellent point. Even if it was made by a Victorian.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by THR
Many Australians have said that the states should be abolished altogether and have one big Australia. I don't think those people are being very realistic or are not familiar with some geographic basic facts. Unlike, New Zealand, which can function as a unitary state, Australia is far too vast to be one.

Besides, Australia is a classic federal country where the parts of the federation, ie. the states, predate the federation itself.

Having said all this, do the states mean anything at all to an average Australian? I'm sure that given the huge size of Australia your local community means very much to you but I just don't believe the states have anything endearing about them. I'm sure that every Aussie is proud to be an Aussie and proud of his home town or village but that intermediate level surely can't mean that much to anyone? I may be wrong on this one though. I won't be ashamed to admit I'm wrong if someone comes along and tells me how proud he is to live in a state x which is so much better than state y.
I cant imagine being anything but a marone. How would we decide the state of origin?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

This is my 2nd time living in Australia, I spent 5 years in QLD in the early 90's and have only just returned. This time I'm in NSW due to the right job coming up at the right time, but I'll always have an affinity to QLD, back them in sports (especially State of Origin, which they hardly ever won when I lived there), and if I retire in Aus, I hope it will be in SE QLD.

I also have friends in QLD, but so far only colleges (mostly migrants) in NSW.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:48 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
What

I don't think being called mexicans is very cool
Better than banana-bender, cockroach, crow-muncher, sand-groper.

Apple-muncher or Taswegian is okay though.

Mexican, much more exotic and hence cool.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I've noticed how patriotic each state is about their beer.

In Vic it's VB, in Queensland it's XXXX, in NSW it's Tooheys, in Tassie it's either Boags or Cascade depending whether you're in the North or South.

I was in a pub near Toowoomba asking what beers did they have. Woman says 'what would you like', I asked for a Coopers, she says 'sorry we only have xxxx bitter or xxxx gold' - in that case why ask me what beer did I want? I also got into a discussion with a couple of Queenslanders which is better - XXXX or VB. I had to agree with them, XXXX is better than VB
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster

In Vic it's VB, in Queensland it's XXXX, in NSW it's Tooheys, in Tassie it's either Boags or Cascade depending whether you're in the North or South.
SA - Coopers and WA is Swan.

One thing I've noticed since living here in the 90's is the number of overseas beers which have become popular, in some ways its a shame, anyway I'm off for a Corona
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
I've noticed how patriotic each state is about their beer.

I was in a pub near Toowoomba asking what beers did they have. Woman says 'what would you like', I asked for a Coopers, she says 'sorry we only have xxxx bitter or xxxx gold' - in that case why ask me what beer did I want? I also got into a discussion with a couple of Queenslanders which is better - XXXX or VB. I had to agree with them, XXXX is better than VB
Cause you might be driving of course

Not sure about regional areas, but I find a lot of the patriotism has died in the big cities over the last 10-20 years. You are often more likely to find a died in the wool VB drinker in Brisbane than a XXXX drinker. Or a belgium beer or whatever.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I like being a Victorian..
Although of course you do get asked by the folks back home whether you drive to work in a traction engine and enjoy brass bands
Old Jan 16th 2011, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
SA - Coopers and WA is Swan.

One thing I've noticed since living here in the 90's is the number of overseas beers which have become popular, in some ways its a shame, anyway I'm off for a Corona
Just for info..

Corona I beleive is imported from Mexico. Its a marketing man's dream...in Mexico its normally considered the cheap stuff that they give you in all inclusive hotels, over here through marketing they are knocking it out for $8+ a bottle in pubs! And the reason for the lemon/line in the top - to try to keep the flies away from the top in Mexico, nothing to do with taste.

Heinieken and Becks are made in Sydney by Tooheys as is XXXX Gold and Hahn.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.