Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do people want an informative website?

Do people want an informative website?

Old Aug 30th 2002, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do people want an informative website?

Hi Pommie Sheila, I am sorry to hear that my advice about not selling up lock stock and barrel reached you a bit late. Which area are you in? Have you thought about setting up your own business instead of buying established, it worked for us although it took many years to get steady contacts, it was worth it.

I know the racist thing here is really off, we sat in McDonalds tonight, Brisbane, and 4 little girls were the recipients of happy meals which contained a Diva Doll. However it was Black, the kids were saying how pretty it would be if it had white skin and the parents piped up saying how disgusting it was to be gving out 'abbo' toys, as if anybody would want them!, They were deadly serious. I actually leant over to them and said , "well we are living in a Black Persons Country", the big fat father nearly choked on his big Mac.

I had to laugh at somebody mentioning what do people do here at night, friends of ours too came to Brisbane 4 months ago, their first question to us was just that, they noticed all the neighbours lights were out by 9pm, they thought it was really weird, till they came over to us and saw all our neighbs are in bed by 8.30. When I first came here I thought I was in a flashback to the 60,s, everyone smoked Pot, now I know why, it dulls them out to deal with the boredom. Really sad so many Pot heads here. Friends other main gripe is the wages, cant believe how low they are, they got quite a shock, and houses are a bit dearer than expected, somebody just quoted Bris, 170-240, which I think is very low, unless you want to live in a pretty rough suburb. Brisbane has boomed the past year, some suburbs up 50%. Be careful what you could buy for that money.

Does everyone also realise when buying (house) in Oz, you need to have a Termite/Pest inspection report done not just a building inspection. Termites basically chew up a house from the inside out, and the latest english friends we met actually bought a house in Bris outskirts without knowing this info, and guess what they are now up for tens of thousands of repairs, and a house they will find almost impossible to resell. I bet the tourist books never tipped you off on that one.

l
Old Aug 30th 2002, 12:36 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nicky.

NG => NewsGroup
BTW => By The Way

Hope this helps!

Originally posted by NickyTurner:
OK- maybe i am thick (no comments please Baldbutts!) but 2 things keep coming up:

what does NG and BTW stand for???? Am i the only person not privvy to these elusive meanings....Big Thick Willy....nob growing..?? Please help me!

Cheers

Nic
Old Aug 30th 2002, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

As always- thanks Alan! I wont bother replying to Dotty's posting as it is too depressing. Need a bit of cheer for a Friday afternoon. I love Australia byt the way and i wont have anyone changing my views. Anyhow- how come people like Dotty only mention the miserable people there. I travelled 10,000 km in Oz and found most people to be friendly and coutreous (the odd roughneck in the less well known towns!).

So cheer up one and all- it's not all doom and gloom! and i am sure with this webiste, we will be wise to the various 'inconveniences' that we must watch out for in our new land

Have a great weekend, I will!
Love
Nic
xx

Originally posted by Alan Collett:
Hi Nicky.

NG => NewsGroup
BTW => By The Way

Hope this helps!

Old Aug 30th 2002, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

As always- thanks Alan! I wont bother replying to Dotty's posting as it is too depressing. Need a bit of cheer for a Friday afternoon. I love Australia byt the way and i wont have anyone changing my views. Anyhow- how come people like Dotty only mention the miserable people there. I travelled 10,000 km in Oz and found most people to be friendly and coutreous (the odd roughneck in the less well known towns!).

So cheer up one and all- it's not all doom and gloom! and i am sure with this webiste, we will be wise to the various 'inconveniences' that we must watch out for in our new land

Have a great weekend, I will!
Love
Nic
xx
Old Aug 30th 2002, 1:03 pm
Andy Davis

Ok then, PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE MOUTH IS!!!!!!

I say Australia will win the up and comming Cricket Ashes series in Oz this year,
England will NOT win the Cricket World Cup next year and England will NOT win next
years Rugby world cup.

Come on Boy! what you afraid of?

I bet you were the fat little runt at school who was useless at sport, 'cause you
sure don't know anthing about it.

"pommie bastard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Andy Davis:
    > >
    > > I have relatives in the States who have a far better standard of living than I
    > > do, yet they don't get anywhere near the wages I do. I have friends in Australia
    > > who's kids have had far more opportunities to excel than any kid would get in the
    > > UK. There is hardly any competitive sport in UK schools, all the playing fields
    > > have been sold and built on. Then we wonder why the Aussies kick our butts at
    > > Rugby, Cricket, get more medals at commonwealth games etc...
    > >
    > > Just a small point England have the best Ruby union side in the world right now
    > > , have beaten Australia last 2 years runing also the Lions have only lost one
    > > test in 102 years to Australia. Add that to the fact England won more track and
    > > field medals in both games(Sidney as well) , and if all UK teams medals were put
    > > together at commonweath games its more than Australia.Where were Australia at
    > > the World Cup ? the biggest sportting event in the world.Not forgeting that a
    > > lot of Australia sports men and women where not born or trained here and they
    > > are only here because they are good at sport. Sorry to quote facts I know some
    > > do not like them.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 30th 2002, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by dotty:
Hi Nicky, have you thought that some people may find the information on House Buying may save them thousands of dollars and perhaps years of battles over a termite ridden house. Perhaps some might appreciate being told about that "little inconvenience".? Will you now have this check done on your purchase in Oz?.
Old Aug 30th 2002, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

susmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nicky, have you thought that some people may find the information on House Buying may save them thousands of dollars and perhaps years of battles over a termite ridden house. Perhaps some might appreciate being told about that "little inconvenience".? Will you now have this check done on your purchase in Oz?.

I totally disagree that 170to240k will only get you a house in a`rough` suburb there are plenty of nice suburbs where you can still get a decent 4 bedroom for that price
Susan
Old Aug 30th 2002, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Do people want an informative website?

I think i am not alone Dotty in thinking that it is not what you say it the way that you say it ie 'you bloody bunch of prats'. May i ask one question- i dare you to answer- why are you on this site? This is for people 'emigrating', not coming back.

Please continue to advise, but lets have some constructive comments please.

And yes, I would consider this survey. I am sure that the real estate agents would strongly recomend it- just a we have surveys done on our property here. We just have the 'damp' problem here instead of the 'termite' one.

Have a nice day!

Nic
xxx

Old Aug 30th 2002, 3:10 pm
Tony Bryer

In article <[email protected]>, Dean wrote:
    > In the total list Aus came 4th overall simply on a medal count whereas Britain came
    > 10th. Frankly astounding for such a small population.

Not if you've been on a coach tour of Canberra including the Sports Academy: the
facilities there (and this was in 1986) were way of anything we had (or probably
have) in the UK.

But of course all the best facilities can only bring out what is already in the
individuals so kudos to them.

--
Tony Bryer

Old Aug 31st 2002, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Crikey, Real estate Agents in the UK must be an honest bunch! UK Friends here landed with the termite house, were never told of any inspections they needed, they, now wiser feel they actually may have been so keen, green and gullible (their words not mine) that they were an easy target for Keen Agents keen to dump the 'cant sell' stuff on.

'Pratts' is not a word I would use, naive, gullible I have used as I find it very sad that people have so many unrealistic ideas of life here. Which answeres your other Question, why am I here, probably because I once believed some of the stuff written here (I was very young tho) and wish that somebody had told me the other side. I think it is really sad that people are putting lives on hold in the Uk and waiting with baited breath for a dream that is just that, dreaming.

I have been back to the UK, despite all our families promises they would come and see us here, it is very common to discover that once you have gone, they can and do find much better things to do with thousands of pounds than spending it to see rellies who 'split'. Most English we know here have found this, and many dont enjoy or feel up to the 24 hour flights either.

Why havn't we gone back yet, daughters in final years of education, Business built up now and it took so long to do that we need to reap some rewards, financial issues have been well documented here before.

People can and will make a life here, but not if they come with heads full of such rubbish. As for constructive comments, I think I have posted much info here that people may never have found out otherwise.

I know you enjoyed you holiday here, but day to day life can be very different to a holiday, and things have become a lot more expensive that 4 years ago. There are lots of people posting here that will admit that.

I actually think people will settle better if they expect a bit of reality too. You think they will be better off if they only know the good, but that is up to them to decide.

I think i am not alone Dotty in thinking that it is not what you say it the way that you say it ie 'you bloody bunch of prats'. May i ask one question- i dare you to answer- why are you on this site? This is for people 'emigrating', not coming back.

Please continue to advise, but lets have some constructive comments please.

And yes, I would consider this survey. I am sure that the real estate agents would strongly recomend it- just a we have surveys done on our property here. We just have the 'damp' problem here instead of the 'termite' one.

Have a nice day!

Nic
xxx
Old Sep 2nd 2002, 12:00 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Excuse me PB- i have one thing to say- do not assume that all the genuinely positive people on this website (myself included) are stupid and ignorant. I lived in Australia for 3 years earlier on in my life, and i spent 9 months in 98 travelling (including 4 months working and renting in Brisbane). I am fully aware of the prices and you obviously have very expesnive tastes as i remember styaing in many gorgeus (modest) resorts for less than $30 a night (on the east coast). I also know how surprised i was that you could eat out for 2 people for less than £20 max (in Sydney as well). You can take your own booze to most places due to the difficulty in getting liecenses for most places so that reduces the cost significantly. Last weekend we took my mum out for a pizza and we were in the restaurant for an hour (due to impateient child!) and managed to spend £55 ( 2 drinks each and no puddings and 2 starters to share)- that, at current exchange rate is approximately $150 for 1 hour. Personally i would prefer to eat out on Australia as at least they give good quality, well presented food which is also excellent value. My uncle, who has lived, worked and raised a family in Perth for 30 years now, recently spent 5 months in the Uk and said he couldnt believe how expensive/ cold etc it is.

I

I have no idea about the east coast , in WA avarage cabin would be $150 a night , Burswood $300 a night. You can get very poor chinese meals for about $30 for 2 , a good meal about $100 for 2 ,a top class nearer $200.
There are not many people here earn 3 times exchange rate in fact mine works out at 1.6 , the micky mouse dollar has lost 50% of its value over the last 7 years so most countrys seem expensive.
This weekend it was gale force winds and driving rain to go with it , homes here have no heating and are bloody cold in winter it can get down to 1 deg at night.
A lot of people who come here from UK are cashed up then with in a couple of years end up with a bigger mortgage then they had in UK.
Most of friends I had in UK have at lest 2 holidays abroad a year , not the case here and a trip into the waste lands that is called the country side here is not worth the wear and tare on the car.
Just spent Saturday night being told by Aussie friend just back from UK how much they loved the British country side and cant wait to save up so they can go back again, also they both got sun burnt while there.
I think most people on this site are looking for a holiday in the med , and being stuck at the arse end of the world will not suit them .
You still have to find a decent job and cope with day to day living there is no land of plenty.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Sep 2nd 2002 at 12:31 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2002, 1:42 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dotty:

'Pratts' is not a word I would use, naive, gullible I have used as I find it very sad that people have so many unrealistic ideas of life here. Which answeres your other Question, why am I here, probably because I once believed some of the stuff written here (I was very young tho) and wish that somebody had told me the other side. I think it is really sad that people are putting lives on hold in the Uk and waiting with baited breath for a dream that is just that, dreaming.

Dotty this not what people on this site want to hear , Having myself been called a sad bastard I fear you also will be name called.
Honesty is not what the dreamers care for,they are looking for long holiday on the Greek islands not Australia as it is.
I also think that if people woke up the fact that there is a down side here also maybe they stop dreaming and make ago of they have.
Right now we are like a few more we know , are going back to UK ,I just hope the whingers and moaners on this site, who are still there have made their way down here by the time we return .
There are things wrong with the UK ,mainly the anywhere has to be better than here losers who will not fit in where ever they go .God bless you Dotty.
Old Sep 2nd 2002, 2:39 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Dean:
    > > Add that to the fact England won more track and field medals in both games(Sidney
    > > as well) , and if all UK teams medals were put together at commonweath games its
    > > more than Australia.Where were Australia at the World Cup ? the biggest sportting
    > > event in the world.Not forgeting that a lot of Australia sports men and women
    > > where not born or trained here and they are only here because they are good at
    > > sport. Sorry to quote facts I know some do not like them.

Facts! maybe you should read some.

Olympic medals per 1 million population in the 2000 games. Taking the USA as 250
million (they had 97 medals) then they scored 0.388 medals per million. Aus had 58
medals which is 2.9 per million. Britain scored 28 medals which equates to 0.4 per
million people.

In the total list Aus came 4th overall simply on a medal count whereas Britain came
10th. Frankly astounding for such a small population. They beat the likes of Italy,
Germany, France Britain and the Netherlands with a fraction of the population of
these countries. They were only beaten by the USA, Russia and China for pities sake.

As for golds per 1 million population they make just as poor reading for Britain. USA
40 golds (0.16 per million), Aus 16 golds (0.8 per million), Not so Great Britain 11
golds (0.15 per million)

This also follows if you take the 1992 Barcelona games. USA had 108 medals then they
scored 0.432 medals per million. Aus had 27 medals which is 1.35 per million. Britain
scored 15 medals which equates to .28 per million people.

To compare Aus and Britain the way you do is hardly the facts is it. 70 million
people or so versus 20 million. A country who's national pastime is football versus a
country that hardly plays it. Not an overly objective analysis I think you'd agree.
How would we do at Aussie Rules football. Not great I'm thinking.

BTW the way, I'm English and I'm not overly proud of my countries sporting record
against Australia but these are the facts.

Dean
You're forgetting some other facts - Australia had the biggest team/entrants in the Sydney Games (the Aussies far out numbered the British team in entrants)

Australia like America puts hell of a lot more money into Sport - a lot more than the UK. Sport in the Uk has been underfunded for years - it has not got an "Institute of sport" . Only this year at the Manchester commonwealth games did they have any decent funding thanks to the lottery.

Going on population , Indonesia and India should do well, but they don't, simply because they have not got the funding and entrants like Australia.
Population of countries have got bog all to do with it - it's the number of entrants which has everything to do with it, which comes from funding. Take a look at the number of entrants of the countries teams to quote figures, or you'll miss quote the facts on the medal tally.

Australia buys in athletes in sports which it is poor on - Pole vaulting (Australia rushed in citizenship for Anna Russian whats'her'name and her husband 2 days before the Sydney Games, boxing, weightlifting, gymnastics, to name but a few which Australia "buys in" - Australia buys athletes from other countries (mostly eastern Europe) to win at any cost eh. It's getting to the point that you're lucky if you hear an aussie accent in the Aussie team .

Same goes for the Wallabies - how many foreign players are there? Samoans, Kiwi's.

One thing that you can say for the British Olympic team - they have all got British accents

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 2nd 2002 at 3:38 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2002, 3:04 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Hi Pommie Sheila, I am sorry to hear that my advice about not selling up lock stock and barrel reached you a bit late. Which area are you in? Have you thought about setting up your own business instead of buying established, it worked for us although it took many years to get steady contacts, it was worth it.

I know the racist thing here is really off, we sat in McDonalds tonight, Brisbane, and 4 little girls were the recipients of happy meals which contained a Diva Doll. However it was Black, the kids were saying how pretty it would be if it had white skin and the parents piped up saying how disgusting it was to be gving out 'abbo' toys, as if anybody would want them!, They were deadly serious. I actually leant over to them and said , "well we are living in a Black Persons Country", the big fat father nearly choked on his big Mac.

I had to laugh at somebody mentioning what do people do here at night, friends of ours too came to Brisbane 4 months ago, their first question to us was just that, they noticed all the neighbours lights were out by 9pm, they thought it was really weird, till they came over to us and saw all our neighbs are in bed by 8.30. When I first came here I thought I was in a flashback to the 60,s, everyone smoked Pot, now I know why, it dulls them out to deal with the boredom. Really sad so many Pot heads here. Friends other main gripe is the wages, cant believe how low they are, they got quite a shock, and houses are a bit dearer than expected, somebody just quoted Bris, 170-240, which I think is very low, unless you want to live in a pretty rough suburb. Brisbane has boomed the past year, some suburbs up 50%. Be careful what you could buy for that money.

Does everyone also realise when buying (house) in Oz, you need to have a Termite/Pest inspection report done not just a building inspection. Termites basically chew up a house from the inside out, and the latest english friends we met actually bought a house in Bris outskirts without knowing this info, and guess what they are now up for tens of thousands of repairs, and a house they will find almost impossible to resell. I bet the tourist books never tipped you off on that one.

l

It was me who quoted 170/240 - it is in Redcliffe anyway, around about 165 you can buy a brick house, as long as it's not on the water. I'm also building in the Pine area (4 Bedroom/ brick house - pretty large area) and it's setting me back about $120 - that's the house without the cost of the land - but still total cost will be under 200 (I hope ).

I know it depends on the area of Brisbane, like Bulimba - really expensive!. But places like cannon hill (South side) say is around 240 - and that's not too far from everything.

I've got to laugh about the " lights out at 9" - so true!!! - try eating out after 8pm here in Redcliffe (good luck to you!).

What I find funny is Pubs etc advertise their opening times as "5 until late" - they never will tell you what time they close. This is because if they have not many customers they'll shut up the pub early. Try shutting a pub at 9 pm in Britain, lol - you'll have a riot, even if there's only one customer in the joint!
cheers

P.S - I hope it wasn't your friends who bought my last rental house! Some couple bought it before I moved out, and a termite outbreak. it was southside, near cannon hill - full of termites! - they chewed through the window frames and floorboards. Horrible things - it was like something out of a horror movie.
Old Sep 2nd 2002, 4:24 am
Banned

Oh and just one other thing. What the hell do you guys do in the UK of an evening which is so great. Most of us (especially those who work and have children) get in, do the tea, watch the rain (in the dark), get kids to bed, watch rubbish on tea, go to bed.
I cant think of anything i would like better then sitting with a few friends (or just my child and husband), on our verrandah, sipping cool wine/. beer, and looking out on a lovely garden.

I thank you.
Oh dear oh dear ,so in summer it takes you up to 9.30pm to put the kids to bed . I dream of sitting in the beer garden of some of the country pubs we ued to go out to , and looking out at some of the most beauiful country side on the planet.
Yes it does rain and believe or not its does here too,but never been in a pub here that has atmosphere we had in country pubs back home.
If looking at brown waste lands turns you on go for it , sea views are great in summer (we did have beach house),but the maintance was a killer and was blown off the planet in winter kept up half the night with windows rattling all good fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.