Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do people want an informative website?

Do people want an informative website?

Old Aug 29th 2002, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do people want an informative website?

Good luck and wise words said. Even Altrincham (where i live) is not worth the money (even though the footie players loive nearby- not that we ever see them.) I am also of the opinion that 'quality' of life far outweighs the money issue. I earn less money now than i did befoe having my child (and am much happier) and will earn even less than that when i reach Oz however- how much money do you need to get a slab of ale and some snags for the bbq (compared to a rainy day in uk- £20 cinema, £25 pizza hut, arcades- another £15). You can have all your mates round for a full day and night knees up for about $100 (less if they BYO) + you can slip off for a romantic soiree with your old fella for around £20 b & B by the coast!! Yipee!

So that little blabber over with- GOOD LUCK WITH THE WEDDING- it's a wicked day, and if you are going to Perth then dont forget to email your details to the list on [email protected] (got about 20 families now)

Nibbles
xxx
Originally posted by nixstuff:
Dotty

Grass is greener, rose tinted glasses etc works both ways. I'm sure there aren't thousands of aussies queueing up to migrate to Stoke-on-Trent, Bolton, Middlesborough, Rhyl..(no offence meant AT ALL to anyone there, and I'm in Stoke before you bicker). But I too would love to be able to afford to 'migrate' to leafy Surrey, only I'm not a stockbroker, PR consultant or pharmaceutical sales god. Not that I do bad at all, I'm a director of a graphics house, but any further south for us would mean a serious comparative drop in income. And don't think I'm on a downer altogether, I actually really like where we live, but I've seen something more appealing, something a little different. If we're going to have a life change we're going to have a big one, and I'd rather invest my efforts in Oz, rediscover myself, whether it works or not. If it fails, we tried. So what.

There seems to be a certain element talking about certain benefits of certain places...folks unhappy with career progress, not achieving enough (compared to Hong Kong or wherever) that are talking about migrating back to London or the South East. FIne. Do it. You belong there. If money's your thing, go chase it. I have no problem with that, the country needs it's economic output generating from somewhere...and it isn't around here. Some of us just want to leave our jaded, miserable, grey, decaying provincial towns in search of a little sunshine, a little positivity. It's really nice to live somewhere that your entire manufacturing heritage is being demolished to build yet another Tesco, Saindbury's, Safeway, it really is.

In our specific case, I'm getting married tomorrow, and most of my fiancée's family have gradually migrated down under over the past 25 years. And all of them have made a better life for themselves. And I'm talking quality of life NOT (just) standard of living.

Come over Dotty, please. You're welcome. In fact, you're wanted. You fit right in with our booming misery industry...there's a permanent seasonally affected disorder for so many. And those that aren't fed up are by and large wrapped up their own achievements. Just look at our own PM, no offense Mr Spin. Come and buy a condemned terrace in Middleport for £4k, enjoy. Come and sit in the traffic on the M6 for hours and hours to travel just a few miles. Come and wake up each morning Sept to April in the fog, drizzle, mist, cold, damp. England awaits. It's got a great future behind it.

Rant over, I've got a wedding to attend. Wish me luck.
Old Aug 29th 2002, 2:57 pm
Rob

In <[email protected]> nixstuff wrote:
    > Rant over, I've got a wedding to attend. Wish me luck.

Well put, and good luck.

Old Aug 29th 2002, 11:44 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Alan Collett:
Do you think you wouldn't have moved to Australia then PB if you'd seen views such as those you are expressing?

Or would you have read them and thought - nah, I'm going to find out for myself?

Regards.
I was encouraged to come by a good friend , also checked the place out on holiday but never looked at employment or realy was told the truth .
So to answer your question I was blinded by one side of the story and wish a sad bastard like me was around to put the other side of Australia.
My friend met us at airport after we had emiagrated and first words were, you will wish you had not bothered how right he was.
Old Aug 30th 2002, 12:34 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

[standard of living.

Come over Dotty, please. You're welcome. In fact, you're wanted. You fit right in with our booming misery industry...there's a permanent seasonally affected disorder for so many. And those that aren't fed up are by and large wrapped up their own achievements. Just look at our own PM, no offense Mr Spin. Come and buy a condemned terrace in Middleport for £4k, enjoy. Come and sit in the traffic on the M6 for hours and hours to travel just a few miles. Come and wake up each morning Sept to April in the fog, drizzle, mist, cold, damp. England awaits. It's got a great future behind it.

Rant over, I've got a wedding to attend. Wish me luck. [/QUOTE]

All good reasons to move away from UK what does surprise me is most IT people here see their path being Sidney.London then top of the tree New York.
Could it be the case that Australia only attracts under achievers which would explain alot.I do look at prices of things in UK and a lot are cheaper apart from fuel and housing even that depends on where you live , the cost of living here is not cheap compared to average earnings .
There are as many unhappy people here as UK ,everwhere looks good when you are elsewhere , in fact never kown so many people on anti depressants as here.
The type of people that come here are thoose who do not value friends or family says alot about them to , please come to Aussie , a country with no society will suit you
Old Aug 30th 2002, 1:40 am
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by James West:
Thought it might be appropriate to mention here the reason's why we want to migrate
to Oz from the UK!

Read this and learn ,By the way Hopitals here have same problems as UK too.

By Mark Mallabone

CANBERRA

WA HAS the second highest rate of illegal drug use in Australia.

National research figures to be released today reveal more than one in five West Australians - 22 per cent - used illegal drugs in the past year. Only the Northern Territory with 29.2 per cent had a higher rate. The national average was 16.9 per cent.

WA also emerged as having the biggest population of intravenous drug users, 19,300, in the nation. Among this group, injection of the designer drug ecstasy, 20 per cent, was found to be almost as prevalent as heroin, 21 per cent. The most commonly injected drug group was amphetamines.

In comparison, New South Wales had 18,000 intravenous drug users and Victoria 17,700.

The Australian Institute of Health and Welfare report confirmed that marijuana was the State's top illegal drug, with 31.9 per cent, or almost one in three, of young West Australians admitting smoking it in the past year.

The State average, based on people aged 14 and older, was 17.5 per cent - significantly higher than the national average of 12.9 per cent.

Use of other drugs, including ecstasy and amphetamines, also was more prevalent in WA than most other States and Territories.

Almost 6 per cent of West Australians admitted to using amphetamines and 4 per cent had used ecstasy and other designer drugs in the past year.

WA also recorded high rates of alcohol abuse, with almost 11 per cent of the population sinking more than 29 standard drinks every week. Despite the State's poor record on illicit drug and alcohol abuse, West Australians appear to have greater success in giving up cigarettes.

WA's smoking rate, 20.1 per cent, was higher than the national average of 19.5 per cent but lower than that recorded in South Australia, Queensland, Tasmania and the Northern Territory. Curtin University's National Research Drug Institute director Tim Stockwell said yesterday WA's high rate of illicit drug use was relatively recent but heavy drinking had existed for decades.

He said the popularity of amphetamines, usually administered intravenously, had risen in the wake of the so-called heroin drought.

The prevalence of amphetamine laboratories in WA probably was also a factor.

There was a clear north-south divide in alcohol consumption, with significantly higher rates found in northern Australia.

This was probably due to hotter weather, a younger population and the presence of more fly in, fly out mine workers with few recreational options. Northern Australia also had more Aboriginal communities, which often recorded high rates of excessive drinking.

Rape of senior sickens police

By Cian Manton

A RIVERTON grandmother was subjected to a rape so horrific it traumatised even experienced police officers working on the case yesterday.

The frail 68-year-old woman was attacked at knifepoint by a man who broke into her Nurdi Way home - where she lives alone - in the early hours of yesterday.

After raping her, the man stole her handbag and car.

Police are now scouring the suburbs of Perth for the silver 2001 Toyota Corolla hatchback, with the registration number 1AYJ 621.

They have appealed to the public for help.

Cannington Det-Sgt Jack Lee said sexual assault did not appear to be the motive for the home invasion.

He said it was horrific that this could happen to somebody in their home. He said officers were unnerved by the events.

"The indignities this lady suffered were horrendous to the point where even experienced police officers were traumatised by this event," Sgt Lee said.

"I don't think a 68-year-old woman who is woken in bed can defend herself against anybody."

The man broke into the house about 2am and sexually assaulted the woman, then cut the telephone cable before leaving.

She went to neighbours for help and they alerted police.

The woman was taken to hospital and is being cared for by her family.

Police believe only one man went into the house.

They are looking at other crimes in the area to determine if they are linked.

The crime has shocked residents in the quiet street and Sgt Lee said some of the woman's neighbours were afraid to stay in the area.

He has urged community members who know anything about the assault to come forward.

"I think any normal member of the public would be horrified by what has happened here," Sgt Lee said.

"I think if you were friends with the perpetrator of this crime, you should come forward to the police and assist us to take this person off the streets."

Anyone finding the car is asked not to touch the vehicle, call police immediately and stay with it until officers arrive.

Any information to Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

© 2002 West Australian Newspapers Limited

© 2002 West Australian Newspapers Limited
All Rights Reserved.
Top Home

Last edited by pommie bastard; Aug 30th 2002 at 1:48 am.
Old Aug 30th 2002, 4:33 am
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NickyTurner:
Good luck and wise words said. Even Altrincham (where i live) is not worth the money (even though the footie players loive nearby- not that we ever see them.) I am also of the opinion that 'quality' of life far outweighs the money issue. I earn less money now than i did befoe having my child (and am much happier) and will earn even less than that when i reach Oz however- how much money do you need to get a slab of ale and some snags for the bbq (compared to a rainy day in uk- £20 cinema, £25 pizza hut, arcades- another £15). You can have all your mates round for a full day and night knees up for about $100 (less if they BYO) + you can slip off for a romantic soiree with your old fella for around £20 b & B by the coast!! Yipee!

Please keep to facts , Cinema ticket UK is about 4.50 pounds in Australia $14. so you will not save there.Fast food is cheaper in UK but anybody with any sense would not eat it,Arcades here are big business kids like them here to ,will see off $50 no problem.Slab of beer $35-$60 , bottles and cans 330ml not 440ml like UK, I spend over $200 on barbi if I invite a few round and to be honest can do with out the mess and it becomes routine , rather go to pub that will see off $100 at lest when with friends and about $70 without.
Last hoilday here in South West WA cost me $640 for 3 days at cabin by lake not 5 star.By the way it rains here and summer can be baking hot , the best weather is spring and Aurtumn when you get temps in mid 20s it also can feel cold at higher temps because we get strong winds .People here can feel isolated because lack of family and it will take years to build up a good group of friends, So good luck to you keep your head clear about what you want.
Old Aug 30th 2002, 4:46 am
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andy Davis:

I have relatives in the States who have a far better standard of living than I do,
yet they don't get anywhere near the wages I do. I have friends in Australia who's
kids have had far more opportunities to excel than any kid would get in the UK. There
is hardly any competitive sport in UK schools, all the playing fields have been sold
and built on. Then we wonder why the Aussies kick our butts at Rugby, Cricket, get
more medals at commonwealth games etc...

Just a small point England have the best Ruby union side in the world right now , have beaten Australia last 2 years runing also the Lions have only lost one test in 102 years to Australia.
Add that to the fact England won more track and field medals in both games(Sidney as well) , and if all UK teams medals were put together at commonweath games its more than Australia.Where were Australia at the World Cup ? the biggest sportting event in the world.Not forgeting that a lot of Australia sports men and women where not born or trained here and they are only here because they are good at sport. What I do like about the Aussies is they have pride in being that not like some on this board , no wonder they call us whingers , moan , moan you will never cope in Australia they eat you up and spit you out.
Sorry to quote facts I know some do not like them.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Aug 30th 2002 at 6:34 am.
Old Aug 30th 2002, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dotty:
After a few days away I see that the war continues on this site. Please tell me what use would a website be to potential immigrants if the "red curtain style" you can only say it is good approach continues? I try to present my posts without abusive language or insults to others, but they have honestly been how I have found Australia. One of my posts explained that despite the many english worrying about beasties, they should really be more concerned with drowning, it was of course shot down in flames. Well Sunday Mail Queensland . August 25, "On Queensland beaches, 17 Deaths from drowning and 4732 rescued from drowning last summer alone. See what I mean, people learn here.

Somebody wrote about Welfare problems "Dole Bludgers", even I was shocked to learn that 90% of Aussie familes claim some sort of Welfare payments. (Sky news, ABC News), it is so bad the government is considering Parenting Courses to Discourage them. Once again we learn.

Its not hot in Aus is it, perhaps all the Queensland migrants would like to tell me that in January, it is the most stupid comment I have ever heard. Remember all the lovely weather comments the last 4 months have been winter, just wait for summer, Countries that self ignite are hot very hot.....

Police, want to Strike, nurses have striked, Doctors pulling out due to massive litigation, teachers yes they went out too, where the heck is this perfect place you are coming too.

No crime, we have sick horrible crimes just like anywhere.

Why on earth do people want to emmigrate with only half the facts, is the Uk so sad now that you need to clutch at some fantasy land that does not exist?

Thank you to the many that have found my posts useful, you will probably make it here because you are being realistic not desperately hoping for something that does not exist.

Why dont people stop arguing and accept that like anywhere, there is some good and some very bad points, everybody is entitled to hear both sides, we do not have the right to Brainwash people, but we can all listen and learn from what people are saying.

Good luck to you all and lets hope that this site can become a useful information service not some fawning fanclub of fantasy. Dotty
Yes, surely they do. Having now been here 4 months I have 1 very, very big regret. That we sold up everything in the UK (house, cars etc.) and moved lock, stock and barrel to Oz. Having never been here, and relying on quotes from father in law (who had only been here a few times as a tourist visiting his relatives) it was VERY STUPID.

My husband's response when I asked if we could rent out our UK house for 6 months and rent over here first was "that's not giving Oz 100% commitment, it'll be too easy to just come back". To that I now say "balls".

Please dont get me wrong, I'm not totally negative about Australia. There are some wonderfully positive things about it which we didn't get in the UK, i.e.

1. Great school which the children love
2. Fantastic weather (at the moment, anyway)
3. Big house, pool, 1.5 acres in lovely area in exchange
for our very modest semi in the south of england
4. Feeling much "safer" - less crime (at least in the area
of Oz we are living in I think)

BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, there are also rather too many downsides, which no one can foresee without coming here and actually trying to live here for a few months.

For example, there IS a great deal of "ANTI POM" feeling here, despite what some might say.

Secondly, we have found that many Aussies have a "couldn't give a XXXX" attitude to everything, including other people

Thirdly, it is very boring here in the evenings. Everyone tends to keep to themselves in their own homes (although we have made some good friends and often meet up at the weekends for BBQs etc.). There are no "English pub" equivalents that we have found, and to be honest, the TV really does suck (and I thought UK TV was bad...)

All I am saying here, is that I wish I had listened to those people who advised me to rent out our house in the UK and rent over here, in other words come, try it out, but keep your options open.

It may not be all you hoped it was, but I hope it is, for all of you who are still in the process of emigrating.

We don't know whether we will stay here permanently yet, but as we have not been able to find any business yet (we had a good business in the UK) it is looking increasingly likely that we may have to return and start the whole process of house-hunting etc. again. Not a pleasant prospect, bearing in mind all the stress that is caused moving over here in the first place...
Old Aug 30th 2002, 6:10 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Re finding a business - if you are looking for a business to buy feel able to mail me directly, and I can mail you details of the business brokers that I have on my database.

Hope this is of interest and best regards.

Originally posted by pommiesheila:

Yes, surely they do. Having now been here 4 months I have 1 very, very big regret. That we sold up everything in the UK (house, cars etc.) and moved lock, stock and barrel to Oz. Having never been here, and relying on quotes from father in law (who had only been here a few times as a tourist visiting his relatives) it was VERY STUPID.

My husband's response when I asked if we could rent out our UK house for 6 months and rent over here first was "that's not giving Oz 100% commitment, it'll be too easy to just come back". To that I now say "balls".

Please dont get me wrong, I'm not totally negative about Australia. There are some wonderfully positive things about it which we didn't get in the UK, i.e.

BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, there are also rather too many downsides, which no one can foresee without coming here and actually trying to live here for a few months.

For example, there IS a great deal of "ANTI POM" feeling here, despite what some might say.

Secondly, we have found that many Aussies have a "couldn't give a XXXX" attitude to everything, including other people

Thirdly, it is very boring here in the evenings. Everyone tends to keep to themselves in their own homes (although we have made some good friends and often meet up at the weekends for BBQs etc.). There are no "English pub" equivalents that we have found, and to be honest, the TV really does suck (and I thought UK TV was bad...)

All I am saying here, is that I wish I had listened to those people who advised me to rent out our house in the UK and rent over here, in other words come, try it out, but keep your options open.

It may not be all you hoped it was, but I hope it is, for all of you who are still in the process of emigrating.

We don't know whether we will stay here permanently yet, but as we have not been able to find any business yet (we had a good business in the UK) it is looking increasingly likely that we may have to return and start the whole process of house-hunting etc. again. Not a pleasant prospect, bearing in mind all the stress that is caused moving over here in the first place...
Old Aug 30th 2002, 6:26 am
Banned

Originally posted by pommiesheila:

Sorry to hear that things are not what you exspected ,I think you are doing some here a service by telling the truth even if they do not like it.Hope things do work out for you , best of luck.
Old Aug 30th 2002, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Exclamation Re: Do people want an informative website?

Excuse me PB- i have one thing to say- do not assume that all the genuinely positive people on this website (myself included) are stupid and ignorant. I lived in Australia for 3 years earlier on in my life, and i spent 9 months in 98 travelling (including 4 months working and renting in Brisbane). I am fully aware of the prices and you obviously have very expesnive tastes as i remember styaing in many gorgeus (modest) resorts for less than $30 a night (on the east coast). I also know how surprised i was that you could eat out for 2 people for less than £20 max (in Sydney as well). You can take your own booze to most places due to the difficulty in getting liecenses for most places so that reduces the cost significantly. Last weekend we took my mum out for a pizza and we were in the restaurant for an hour (due to impateient child!) and managed to spend £55 ( 2 drinks each and no puddings and 2 starters to share)- that, at current exchange rate is approximately $150 for 1 hour. Personally i would prefer to eat out on Australia as at least they give good quality, well presented food which is also excellent value. My uncle, who has lived, worked and raised a family in Perth for 30 years now, recently spent 5 months in the Uk and said he couldnt believe how expensive/ cold etc it is.

I would welcome you to challnge this email PB, as you really are starting to irritate the s**t out of me and other people. None of us are doing this without serious thought and research. We are investing our time, money and livelihoods in this move. If you have something constructive to say then please go ahead, be our guest, however if all you can do is inject negative vibes into a useful and informative site, then i shoulf sit and have a really long think about your motives. You really upset people like me who have spent the last 20 months treading water with my life.

I think i have got that off my chest now.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pommie bastard:
Originally posted by NickyTurner:

Please keep to facts , Cinema ticket UK is about 4.50 pounds in Australia $14. so you will not save there.Fast food is cheaper in UK but anybody with any sense would not eat it,Arcades here are big business kids like them here to ,will see off $50 no problem.Slab of beer $35-$60 , bottles and cans 330ml not 440ml like UK, I spend over $200 on barbi if I invite a few round and to be honest can do with out the mess and it becomes routine , rather go to pub that will see off $100 at lest when with friends and about $70 without.
Last hoilday here in South West WA cost me $640 for 3 days at cabin by lake not 5 star.By the way it rains here and summer can be baking hot , the best weather is spring and Aurtumn when you get temps in mid 20s it also can feel cold at higher temps because we get strong winds .People here can feel isolated because lack of family and it will take years to build up a good group of friends, So good luck to you keep your head clear about what you want.
Old Aug 30th 2002, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh and just one other thing. What the hell do you guys do in the UK of an evening which is so great. Most of us (especially those who work and have children) get in, do the tea, watch the rain (in the dark), get kids to bed, watch rubbish on tea, go to bed.
I cant think of anything i would like better then sitting with a few friends (or just my child and husband), on our verrandah, sipping cool wine/. beer, and looking out on a lovely garden.

I thank you.

Originally posted by pommie bastard:

Sorry to hear that things are not what you exspected ,I think you are doing some here a service by telling the truth even if they do not like it.Hope things do work out for you , best of luck.
Old Aug 30th 2002, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

jasmin is an unknown quantity at this point

I cant think of anything i would like better then sitting with a few friends (or just my child and husband), on our verrandah, sipping cool wine/. beer, and looking out on a lovely garden.

Can I join you that sounds great!!

It makes my stomach churn when I read all that stuff, I just can't see why people think p!ssing on other peoples bonfires is a good idea.
I come on here to read constructive comments and glean help and encouragement from others, who are in the same boat as us
No matter how bad you say it is, we are going, we have made the decision and don't know you from Adam so are hardly likely to change our life on some cr@p that a negative nellie spouts.
aarghhhhhh
Nicki.
so there!
Old Aug 30th 2002, 11:31 am
Dean

> > Add that to the fact England won more track and field medals in both games(Sidney
    > > as well) , and if all UK teams medals were put together at commonweath games its
    > > more than Australia.Where were Australia at the World Cup ? the biggest sportting
    > > event in the world.Not forgeting that a lot of Australia sports men and women
    > > where not born or trained here and they are only here because they are good at
    > > sport. Sorry to quote facts I know some do not like them.

Facts! maybe you should read some.

Olympic medals per 1 million population in the 2000 games. Taking the USA as 250
million (they had 97 medals) then they scored 0.388 medals per million. Aus had 58
medals which is 2.9 per million. Britain scored 28 medals which equates to 0.4 per
million people.

In the total list Aus came 4th overall simply on a medal count whereas Britain came
10th. Frankly astounding for such a small population. They beat the likes of Italy,
Germany, France Britain and the Netherlands with a fraction of the population of
these countries. They were only beaten by the USA, Russia and China for pities sake.

As for golds per 1 million population they make just as poor reading for Britain. USA
40 golds (0.16 per million), Aus 16 golds (0.8 per million), Not so Great Britain 11
golds (0.15 per million)

This also follows if you take the 1992 Barcelona games. USA had 108 medals then they
scored 0.432 medals per million. Aus had 27 medals which is 1.35 per million. Britain
scored 15 medals which equates to .28 per million people.

To compare Aus and Britain the way you do is hardly the facts is it. 70 million
people or so versus 20 million. A country who's national pastime is football versus a
country that hardly plays it. Not an overly objective analysis I think you'd agree.
How would we do at Aussie Rules football. Not great I'm thinking.

BTW the way, I'm English and I'm not overly proud of my countries sporting record
against Australia but these are the facts.

Dean

Old Aug 30th 2002, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Question Re: Do people want an informative website?

OK- maybe i am thick (no comments please Baldbutts!) but 2 things keep coming up:

what does NG and BTW stand for???? Am i the only person not privvy to these elusive meanings....Big Thick Willy....nob growing..?? Please help me!

Cheers

Nic

Originally posted by Dean:
    > > Add that to the fact England won more track and field medals in both games(Sidney
    > > as well) , and if all UK teams medals were put together at commonweath games its
    > > more than Australia.Where were Australia at the World Cup ? the biggest sportting
    > > event in the world.Not forgeting that a lot of Australia sports men and women
    > > where not born or trained here and they are only here because they are good at
    > > sport. Sorry to quote facts I know some do not like them.

Facts! maybe you should read some.

Olympic medals per 1 million population in the 2000 games. Taking the USA as 250
million (they had 97 medals) then they scored 0.388 medals per million. Aus had 58
medals which is 2.9 per million. Britain scored 28 medals which equates to 0.4 per
million people.

In the total list Aus came 4th overall simply on a medal count whereas Britain came
10th. Frankly astounding for such a small population. They beat the likes of Italy,
Germany, France Britain and the Netherlands with a fraction of the population of
these countries. They were only beaten by the USA, Russia and China for pities sake.

As for golds per 1 million population they make just as poor reading for Britain. USA
40 golds (0.16 per million), Aus 16 golds (0.8 per million), Not so Great Britain 11
golds (0.15 per million)

This also follows if you take the 1992 Barcelona games. USA had 108 medals then they
scored 0.432 medals per million. Aus had 27 medals which is 1.35 per million. Britain
scored 15 medals which equates to .28 per million people.

To compare Aus and Britain the way you do is hardly the facts is it. 70 million
people or so versus 20 million. A country who's national pastime is football versus a
country that hardly plays it. Not an overly objective analysis I think you'd agree.
How would we do at Aussie Rules football. Not great I'm thinking.

BTW the way, I'm English and I'm not overly proud of my countries sporting record
against Australia but these are the facts.

Dean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.