Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do CDs get damaged by heat in transport?

Do CDs get damaged by heat in transport?

Old Mar 9th 2005, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Sungold is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do CDs get damaged by heat in transport?

Just a quick question - I've heard that the containers get very hot on the boats as they are generally stuck on top of the heavier freight so I was just wondering if they get hot enough to warp CDs?

Steve
Old Mar 9th 2005, 6:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do CDs get damaged by heat in transport?

Could do.....they warp in the boot of the car out in the states...
Old Mar 9th 2005, 6:10 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sungold
Just a quick question - I've heard that the containers get very hot on the boats as they are generally stuck on top of the heavier freight so I was just wondering if they get hot enough to warp CDs?

Steve
I dunno but why not take them with you on the plane. You could just ship all the CD holders but stack all the actual cds into a suitcase. Cant take up too much room
Old Mar 9th 2005, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Fletchismint is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope they don't. I have 800 of them so it wouldn't be practical to carry them out of the cases and I've spent 10 grand on them over the years so losing my babies would kill me.

A seperate insurance policy is definately needed.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:03 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fletchismint
I hope they don't. I have 800 of them so it wouldn't be practical to carry them out of the cases and I've spent 10 grand on them over the years so losing my babies would kill me.

A seperate insurance policy is definately needed.
You not my hubby in disguise are you?
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:37 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Steve
In short- NO, that is unless they are directly exposed to the sun on the outside of the container. If you pack them in cartons the CD's will travel perfectly. My wife brought all of hers plus videos no problem and we leave some CD's in the console of our car and they are perfctly ok so a closed container won't be a problem.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 12:54 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Bloke.

Ours all made it safely. CD / DVD / minidisks.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 1:14 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

I had all of my CDs and DVDs transported to the southern US without any damage. I had them in packing cartons, which had a weight limit, so I divided the CDs amongst clothing, bedding etc. If you manage to pack other items around them it gives them more protection, and mine didn't suffer as much as a cracked case!
Old Mar 10th 2005, 2:27 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbark
I had all of my CDs and DVDs transported to the southern US without any damage. I had them in packing cartons, which had a weight limit, so I divided the CDs amongst clothing, bedding etc. If you manage to pack other items around them it gives them more protection, and mine didn't suffer as much as a cracked case!

Hi mine made it here no problem but we also coppied everyone onto the computer and then coppied them from the computer to a dvd as an mp3 file you can fit oads of cd's onto a DVD, it meant that whilst they were in the container we could still play the music on our dvd player over here and once the computer and cd's turned up we ended up with 3 versions of the music, In the office I play misic direct from computer, in the bedroom I play them from the DVD's in the DVD player and in the CD player downstairs I use the original cd's

Probably gonna get arrested for copying CD's now though

Kala
Old Mar 10th 2005, 3:32 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Hi mine made it here no problem but we also coppied everyone onto the computer and then coppied them from the computer to a dvd as an mp3 file you can fit oads of cd's onto a DVD, it meant that whilst they were in the container we could still play the music on our dvd player over here and once the computer and cd's turned up we ended up with 3 versions of the music, In the office I play misic direct from computer, in the bedroom I play them from the DVD's in the DVD player and in the CD player downstairs I use the original cd's

Probably gonna get arrested for copying CD's now though

Kala
I don't see why. Something I do routinely when I buy a new CD is copy it, to use in my car. I've had quite a few get ruined as others have said in the heat, or else through bad handling. Some people have told me that it's illegal, but why? It's not as if I hadn't bought the CD in the first place, I'm not making copies and selling them, it's just for my own use so ......?
Old Mar 10th 2005, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

Steve
Packing them in a container with styrofoam on all sides might be a good idea. Just for peace of mind. Also steer clear of ships named "Queen Elizabeth"
Old Mar 10th 2005, 4:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbark
I don't see why. Something I do routinely when I buy a new CD is copy it, to use in my car. I've had quite a few get ruined as others have said in the heat, or else through bad handling. Some people have told me that it's illegal, but why? It's not as if I hadn't bought the CD in the first place, I'm not making copies and selling them, it's just for my own use so ......?
The US doesn't really have fair use laws...so in the US, technically, it is illegal...stupid ain't it...