British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Do CDs get damaged by heat in transport? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/do-cds-get-damaged-heat-transport-289011/)

Sungold Mar 9th 2005 5:38 pm

Do CDs get damaged by heat in transport?

Just a quick question - I've heard that the containers get very hot on the boats as they are generally stuck on top of the heavier freight so I was just wondering if they get hot enough to warp CDs?

Steve

Bob Mar 9th 2005 6:05 pm

Re: Do CDs get damaged by heat in transport?

Could do.....they warp in the boot of the car out in the states...

Siren & Brian Mar 9th 2005 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Sungold
Just a quick question - I've heard that the containers get very hot on the boats as they are generally stuck on top of the heavier freight so I was just wondering if they get hot enough to warp CDs?

Steve

I dunno but why not take them with you on the plane. You could just ship all the CD holders but stack all the actual cds into a suitcase. Cant take up too much room

Fletchismint Mar 9th 2005 6:35 pm

I hope they don't. I have 800 of them so it wouldn't be practical to carry them out of the cases and I've spent 10 grand on them over the years so losing my babies would kill me.

A seperate insurance policy is definately needed.

Anastasia Beaverhausen Mar 9th 2005 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Fletchismint
I hope they don't. I have 800 of them so it wouldn't be practical to carry them out of the cases and I've spent 10 grand on them over the years so losing my babies would kill me.

A seperate insurance policy is definately needed.

You not my hubby in disguise are you? :p

The Bloke Mar 9th 2005 7:37 pm

Steve

In short- NO, that is unless they are directly exposed to the sun on the outside of the container. If you pack them in cartons the CD's will travel perfectly. My wife brought all of hers plus videos no problem and we leave some CD's in the console of our car and they are perfctly ok so a closed container won't be a problem.

Bix Mar 10th 2005 12:54 pm

Agree with Bloke.

Ours all made it safely. CD / DVD / minidisks.

dbark Mar 10th 2005 1:14 pm

I had all of my CDs and DVDs transported to the southern US without any damage. I had them in packing cartons, which had a weight limit, so I divided the CDs amongst clothing, bedding etc. If you manage to pack other items around them it gives them more protection, and mine didn't suffer as much as a cracked case!

JayDeee Mar 10th 2005 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by dbark
I had all of my CDs and DVDs transported to the southern US without any damage. I had them in packing cartons, which had a weight limit, so I divided the CDs amongst clothing, bedding etc. If you manage to pack other items around them it gives them more protection, and mine didn't suffer as much as a cracked case!

Hi mine made it here no problem but we also coppied everyone onto the computer and then coppied them from the computer to a dvd as an mp3 file you can fit oads of cd's onto a DVD, it meant that whilst they were in the container we could still play the music on our dvd player over here and once the computer and cd's turned up we ended up with 3 versions of the music, In the office I play misic direct from computer, in the bedroom I play them from the DVD's in the DVD player and in the CD player downstairs I use the original cd's

Probably gonna get arrested for copying CD's now though

Kala

dbark Mar 10th 2005 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Hi mine made it here no problem but we also coppied everyone onto the computer and then coppied them from the computer to a dvd as an mp3 file you can fit oads of cd's onto a DVD, it meant that whilst they were in the container we could still play the music on our dvd player over here and once the computer and cd's turned up we ended up with 3 versions of the music, In the office I play misic direct from computer, in the bedroom I play them from the DVD's in the DVD player and in the CD player downstairs I use the original cd's

Probably gonna get arrested for copying CD's now though

Kala

I don't see why. Something I do routinely when I buy a new CD is copy it, to use in my car. I've had quite a few get ruined as others have said in the heat, or else through bad handling. Some people have told me that it's illegal, but why? It's not as if I hadn't bought the CD in the first place, I'm not making copies and selling them, it's just for my own use so ......?

bionomique Mar 10th 2005 4:01 pm

Steve

Packing them in a container with styrofoam on all sides might be a good idea. Just for peace of mind. Also steer clear of ships named "Queen Elizabeth" :)

Bob Mar 10th 2005 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by dbark
I don't see why. Something I do routinely when I buy a new CD is copy it, to use in my car. I've had quite a few get ruined as others have said in the heat, or else through bad handling. Some people have told me that it's illegal, but why? It's not as if I hadn't bought the CD in the first place, I'm not making copies and selling them, it's just for my own use so ......?

The US doesn't really have fair use laws...so in the US, technically, it is illegal...stupid ain't it...