Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Direct Debit Nightmare

Direct Debit Nightmare

Old Dec 11th 2003, 9:12 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Direct Debit Nightmare

Word of warning. Mrs BP has not used her egg card for over a year. Full payment was available from her current account but it bounced because the bank cancels direct debits not used over a year and a day.

Nearly sorted but still some arguing to go. BTW the Egg call centre staff were clueless and someone in Bangalore would have probably sorted it out much quicker. Women on the other end said "well you only have to pay 6GBP(the min payment)" When DD was setup for full payment. Bastards are encouraging expensive debt.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Direct Debit Nightmare

Originally posted by bondipom
Word of warning. Mrs BP has not used her egg card for over a year. Full payment was available from her current account but it bounced because the bank cancels direct debits not used over a year and a day.

Nearly sorted but still some arguing to go. BTW the Egg call centre staff were clueless and someone in Bangalore would have probably sorted it out much quicker. Women on the other end said "well you only have to pay 6GBP(the min payment)" When DD was setup for full payment. Bastards are encouraging expensive debt.
I'm sure egg was on the list of those who had outsourced so you might have got the ubiquitous Amit from Bangalore.

Seriously though thanks for the word of warning because I'm sure I will probably keep up my UK cards after the move.

OzTennis
Old Dec 11th 2003, 9:29 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by OzTennis
I'm sure egg was on the list of those who had outsourced so you might have got the ubiquitous Amit from Bangalore.

Seriously though thanks for the word of warning because I'm sure I will probably keep up my UK cards after the move.

OzTennis
It was more like tracy from Birmingham. I don't think they do speak great brum in Banga.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

It was more like tracy from Birmingham. I don't think they do speak great brum in Banga.

OzTennis
Old Dec 11th 2003, 12:28 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

i wish hsbc did this - we had been away for 5 years and had'nt really used their uk credit card during this period. when we got back to the uk not surprisingly it took a bashing but we forgot we had ticked the full repayment option. accordingly the full balance was debited to our current account causing overdraft and worst of all bank fees. first time i have ever payed them in the uk although having been in oz for 5 years now very familar with fees.

all my fault of course and got to say though that first direct and hsbc are a pleasure to deal with after using aussie banks - it still gives me a cold shudder just thinking about it - truly frightening.

Old Dec 11th 2003, 2:25 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to use Egg when they started - it was a disaster.

Their webpages were impossible to follow: I kept going in circles and their "security" arrangements were a joke. (Not alone there, mind you!)

We gave them £30k I think and took it back after a couple of weeks of buggering around.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

ayanem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default uk credit cards

Originally posted by OzTennis

OzTennis
You might want to check (and there again you might not ) whether you can keep the card if you're no longer a uk resident. It varies from card to card.