Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dingos in the northern burbs of Perth??

Dingos in the northern burbs of Perth??

Old Nov 16th 2010, 5:25 am
Just Joined

11001001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dingos in the northern burbs of Perth??

This is probably a daft question, but is it possible that the occasional wild dingo finds its way into the beachside burbs (eg. Ocean Reef, Mullaloo, Kallaroo) at night?

I went out around 1.30am last night and there were two identical dog-like animals sniffing round my garden. I got a brief look as the security light came on, before they fled, and they really looked like dingos - I couldn't think of a domestic breed that they looked exactly like. No collars or other evidence of domesticity. They stopped across the cul-de-sac and stared at me for a while, as soon as I moved they fled again, running parallel and synchronised (as if they ran together all the time).

Now I have seen large red/brown foxes round here at night, I once nearly ran over a large Emu nearby on Marmion ave, I nearly got knocked off my bike by a roo on a path near to Bunnings, and I've seen any number of dugats around the streets here.

So we do get a bit of wildlife, in this bit of suburbia.

But Dingos??
Old Nov 16th 2010, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dingos in the northern burbs of Perth??

Originally Posted by 11001001
This is probably a daft question, but is it possible that the occasional wild dingo finds its way into the beachside burbs (eg. Ocean Reef, Mullaloo, Kallaroo) at night?

I went out around 1.30am last night and there were two identical dog-like animals sniffing round my garden. I got a brief look as the security light came on, before they fled, and they really looked like dingos - I couldn't think of a domestic breed that they looked exactly like. No collars or other evidence of domesticity. They stopped across the cul-de-sac and stared at me for a while, as soon as I moved they fled again, running parallel and synchronised (as if they ran together all the time).

Now I have seen large red/brown foxes round here at night, I once nearly ran over a large Emu nearby on Marmion ave, I nearly got knocked off my bike by a roo on a path near to Bunnings, and I've seen any number of dugats around the streets here.

But Dingos??

Not in perth but SE qld and there have been several dingo sightings in suburban areas. Kawana Forest and Rural Buderim have been in the news in the last year. Reports of missing small dogs too, so very likely if thats what you think you saw, it probably was.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 5:40 am
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Not in perth but SE qld and there have been several dingo sightings in suburban areas. Kawana Forest and Rural Buderim have been in the news in the last year. Reports of missing small dogs too, so very likely if thats what you think you saw, it probably was.
All negative as usual then?

Carol
Old Nov 16th 2010, 5:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mabozar
All negative as usual then?

Carol
Ahh an old friend

Google it idiot, should all on the net if you care to look.

Only a whole page of results

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Oh and by the way, what is ' negative ' about Dingo sightings if you live in Bushland in australia, I can assure you where we live you wouldnt want to have a case of the willies about snakes, dingoes or anything else, deep bushland, all the wildlife you can think of and we love it.

Last edited by jad n rich; Nov 16th 2010 at 5:52 am.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 8:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Ahh an old friend

Google it idiot, should all on the net if you care to look.

Only a whole page of results

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Oh and by the way, what is ' negative ' about Dingo sightings if you live in Bushland in australia, I can assure you where we live you wouldnt want to have a case of the willies about snakes, dingoes or anything else, deep bushland, all the wildlife you can think of and we love it.
I remember seeing a dingo wandering through the picnic area on Mt Coot-tha, he was really cute actually
Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:10 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Ive heard that cane toads are now in Perth - I am going to get a golf club and play cane toad golf.

I wonder what measures the DEC are going to put in place for this? I would not want my dog to go near one of those bastards. My garden is totally sealed except for the garden gate but that could easily be sealed.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

Some people keep Dingoes as pets, particularly cross bred with other breeds of dog. Some people have dingo farms and breed them. So yes, they do exist in the suburbs, but not necessarily wild.

Just for interest's sake, a dingo is actually an Asian grey wolf that was brought in with the Aborigines and has evolved to become more dog like over tens of thousands of years in this country. It is not a true Australian native. The only placental mammals of which there are species native to Australia are rats and mice, seals, dolphins, whales and bats.

Last edited by ProudVIC; Nov 16th 2010 at 9:50 am.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Ive heard that cane toads are now in Perth - I am going to get a golf club and play cane toad golf.

I wonder what measures the DEC are going to put in place for this? I would not want my dog to go near one of those bastards. My garden is totally sealed except for the garden gate but that could easily be sealed.
Cane toads can not establish themselves in a temperate climate. they are strictly tropical and need warm to hot temperatures all year. The few that find their way to Perth will not survive long.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC

Just for interest's sake, a dingo is actually an Asian grey wolf that was brought in with the Aborigines and has evolved to become more dog like over tens of thousands of years in this country. It is not a true Australian native. The only placental mammals of which there are species native to Australia are rats and mice, seals, dolphins, whales and bats.
The aborigines have been here for tens of thousands of years but the dingo only arrived about 4000 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Dingo

Last edited by lesleys; Nov 16th 2010 at 10:01 am. Reason: added link
Old Nov 16th 2010, 10:04 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Cane toads can not establish themselves in a temperate climate. they are strictly tropical and need warm to hot temperatures all year. The few that find their way to Perth will not survive long.
Long enough to breed more, though. DEC seem to be very concerned about them, so perhaps they know more about their survival here than us?
Old Nov 16th 2010, 10:24 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 11001001

But Dingos??
Yep, it is definitely possible. If you got a clear look at them and they "really looked like dingoes" then you can be 99% certain that they were dingoes.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Long enough to breed more, though. DEC seem to be very concerned about them, so perhaps they know more about their survival here than us?
It is worrying that the cane toad was found in a suburb on the river. We can only hope that it was a lone hitchhiker.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 10:37 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
It is worrying that the cane toad was found in a suburb on the river. We can only hope that it was a lone hitchhiker.
Yes, it was just the one.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 11:21 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

We get foxes and dingos I've noticed them becoming much more brazen lately. There was a dingo turned up at the barbie area on the esplanade recently so I gave it a couple of sausages.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 1:52 am
Just Joined

11001001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lesleys
The aborigines have been here for tens of thousands of years but the dingo only arrived about 4000 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Dingo
I'm pretty sure they weren't aboriginals though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.