Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Different sense of humour??

Different sense of humour??

Old Oct 8th 2004, 12:47 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Different sense of humour??

Originally Posted by Big Bird
Bordy I totally agree! Found Kath and Kim very funny.

My friend has just seen Billy live at Hammersmith and said she hasn't laughed so much in years.

Have you ever seen All Aussie Adventures (Russell Coight)? Had me and my husband in tears - we do have an odd sense of humour though. Funny website too - www.bigcoight.com especially the Q&A.

Hev

First I saw Russell Coight was when I heard my daughter screaming with laughter in her room, yes watching Russell Coight on TV. Hes very funny but then I'm a bit of a Graham Norton fan to.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Big Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bordy
First I saw Russell Coight was when I heard my daughter screaming with laughter in her room, yes watching Russell Coight on TV. Hes very funny but then I'm a bit of a Graham Norton fan to.

I like Graham Norton, but I don't get the chance to see him very often as my husband won't watch him

We did watch Eddie Izzard live last year in Melbourne, he was funny. Both laughed like drains, whilst a lot of the audience didn't understand.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stoney
The only difference between Ozzie and British peoples sense of humour is that Ozzies dont have any............at all...........apart from teenage toilet humour, subtle humourgoes straight over their heads
That's the funniest statement in this thread for sure! I won't say what you are talking through for fear of being accused of having what you brand 20 million people with (apart from the millions of Brit expats of course?) I won't even bother trying to point out how sweeping your statement is but just one point - the so popular Benny Hill, Men behaving badly, Graham Norton, etc, etc, etc - isn't teenage toilet humour, yeah right?

As someone said humour is an individual and regional thing not a national thing. Just to illustrate this, Alan Partidge hasn't yet managed to raise one laugh from me, nor Graham Norton but Only Fools and Horses, Porridge and many others, that's a different thing. Peter Kay is excellent. Few of you will have heard of Norman Gunston (real name Gary McDonald) but he was a classic in Australia. Like Alan Partidge you either got it or you didn't and that didn't depend on where you were born but your own individual sense of humour.

OzTennis
Old Oct 8th 2004, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Billy Connolly shocked his audience in London a few nights ago by making cheap jokes about the hostage Ken Bigley. It went something like, 'Ken Bigley, why don't they get on with it'! Billy perhaps wondered why people didn't laugh and a few in the audience jumped up and told him what poor taste they were in. He continued by trying to make jokes about Bigley's Thai wife. Another British comedian who doesn't resort to teenage toilet humour too!

OzTennis
Old Oct 8th 2004, 9:33 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Billy Connolly shocked his audience in London a few nights ago by making cheap jokes about the hostage Ken Bigley. It went something like, 'Ken Bigley, why don't they get on with it'! Billy perhaps wondered why people didn't laugh and a few in the audience jumped up and told him what poor taste they were in. He continued by trying to make jokes about Bigley's Thai wife. Another British comedian who doesn't resort to teenage toilet humour too!

OzTennis
I agree OzT that what Billy said, if he did say it [I was not there], was well out of order. There can be no excuse, only an apology from Billy

However...how many of us can ever say we have NEVER, EVER comitted a faux par whilst at work? The difference is that Billy's job is within the public arena. When he drops a bollock, he does it big style.... in public. You could argue this was totally tasteless and most if not all of us would agree.

Billy made a big mistake at work. Like any of us who have ever said something stoopid, I bet he's sorry about it too

Old Oct 8th 2004, 9:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhiteRose
So, are Kath and Kim 'Bogans'? What the hell is a 'Bogan' anyway? Any definitions, or do you just identify them by their dodgy mullet and shell suit?
Bogan

1. fool; idiot; 2. (WA, Tasmania) lout or hooligan, especially of a particular social group noted for wearing black shirt and jeans. In Hobart equivalent to a "Chigga" (probably from Bogan - a river in NSW)
Old Oct 8th 2004, 9:59 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I'm probably odd one out but I'd rather watch Kath & Kim than Alan Partridge. Like PP I think Billy Connolly is hard to beat, just wish he would do another tour of Aus.
I agree. Never really got into Alan Partridge but love Kath & Kim. All Aussie Adventures is better still, that guy is brilliant.
Billy Connolly is good in small doses but I reckon he should be in hiding for a while after his 'gag' the other night. How stupid can you get?
Old Oct 8th 2004, 10:04 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

As regards Australian humour Tom Gleisner is fantastic.He is the guy behind the Warwick Todd books .Also wrote the "the Dish" and "the Castle" screenplays for both movies(I think also produced )
Old Oct 9th 2004, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

What I don't like about the mainstream comedy shows on free-to-air Oz TV especially the one on Channel 10, is that the comedians often seem to go on to explain the joke in case you didn't get it. Or it's about something gruesome like using a head as a football, that kind of stuff. It's not my style. I don't like Benny Hill stuff at all either. However, I loved The Office, some of Jack Dee's stuff and some of Billy Connolly's and Lenny Henry's.

I do think that the sense of humour on the whole is different here. The type of humour I like is harder to find from an Australian comedian, it seems. But you know, you never know who will turn up next week.
Old Oct 9th 2004, 3:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocaholic
What I don't like about the mainstream comedy shows on free-to-air Oz TV especially the one on Channel 10, is that the comedians often seem to go on to explain the joke in case you didn't get it.
Bit of a generalisation from me here, but I have found quite a lot of Aussies themselves are like that - some will even come out with a one-liner, which is funny at first, but then they repeat it a couple of times, then explain it,a nd it ends up not being even vaguely laughable. I just want to scream, and say Yes, I get it, I laughed 10 minutes ago!!! I'm sure some Brits do it, but its much more widespread here.

There does seem to be a huge Aussie following for many Brit sit-coms though; people at work are often mentioning old favourites that they have seen on Foxtel's UKTV.
Old Oct 9th 2004, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

I quite like Kath & Kim............................................... ...............
Old Oct 9th 2004, 5:52 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kath n kim
I quite like Kath & Kim............................................... ...............
Would Never have guessed.
Old Oct 9th 2004, 6:07 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm probably odd one out but I'd rather watch Kath & Kim than Alan Partridge. Like PP I think Billy Connolly is hard to beat, just wish he would do another tour of Aus.

Have you seen chewin the fat Bordy? very funny scottish comedy series!!
Old Oct 9th 2004, 7:10 am
The Godfather

Originally Posted by madsad
Have you seen chewin the fat Bordy? very funny scottish comedy series!!
Yeah got a couple of Videos but canny beat " Still Game".
Old Oct 9th 2004, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

WhiteRose is on a distinguished road

I notice 'Little Britain' is going to be shown soon on ABC. Does anyone think it will be popular here in Australia?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.