Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Different sense of humour??

Different sense of humour??

Old Oct 8th 2004, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

WhiteRose is on a distinguished road
Question Different sense of humour??

I lent my Alan Partridge videos to a friend at work the other week. I thought she would find this programme as funny as I do, but she told me today that she "didn't get it!"

Saying that, I watched Kath and Kim last night and I have to say I didn't find that particularly funny.

Is it a difference in Aussie/British sense of humour, or have I got crap taste in comedy?
Old Oct 8th 2004, 10:06 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Different sense of humour??

it can be a cultural thing - several Austrian Doctors were having difficulty understanding their Yorkshire patients -local slang

slang or a joke maybe poing fun at the way of life in UK or refering to place/person in UK that a British person would understand but not alway other nationalities. But then again I'm not keen on AP
Old Oct 8th 2004, 10:13 am
My thumbs have gone weird

thepoacher is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Different sense of humour??

Originally Posted by WhiteRose
I lent my Alan Partridge videos to a friend at work the other week. I thought she would find this programme as funny as I do, but she told me today that she "didn't get it!"

Saying that, I watched Kath and Kim last night and I have to say I didn't find that particularly funny.

Is it a difference in Aussie/British sense of humour, or have I got crap taste in comedy?
I think it's less to do with a difference between Aussie and British humour as just a difference in peoples taste's.

I can back you up on the fact that Alan Partridge is brilliant. Since watching them for the first time five years ago I have passed many a day telling people "I've got cheese" and correcting people for saying 'Tannoy' when they mean 'public address system'.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 10:17 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by WhiteRose

Actually IME the UK & Oz senses of humor seem very well-matched. I was having a good giggle this morning at the excerpt from 'Yes Minister' played on the Radio National AM programme, to make the point about bureaucrats being the real power base.

Our local DVD shop sells truckloads of UK comedy such as 'Men Behaving Badly', 'Blackadder', 'The Office' and many other familiar series. Dead Ringers is on TV weekly & is very popular here, esp. the guy who takes the p*ss out of President Bush!

'Dad's Army' is currently re-running on cable, and many of my Oz pals are quoting catch phrases etc from that at the mo, too.

Conversely, we really enjoyed 'The Glasshouse', an Aussie satire/social comment programme.

My local newsagent sells 'Private Eye' (OK, it's a week or so behind), and Aussies buy it as well as Brits, and think it is funny, too!

Cheers,
Anya (based in Melbourne,m the comedy capital of the World )
Old Oct 8th 2004, 10:22 am
Cheeky

Hi there!!

I couldnt help but notice you are from Bolton!!! So what do you think of Peter Kay??!!! I think he is hilarious!!! It is very much 'northern' humour, which some people maybe dont get But anyway I think he is brill, makes me LOL

Regards, Cheeky

Originally Posted by thepoacher
I think it's less to do with a difference between Aussie and British humour as just a difference in peoples taste's.

I can back you up on the fact that Alan Partridge is brilliant. Since watching them for the first time five years ago I have passed many a day telling people "I've got cheese" and correcting people for saying 'Tannoy' when they mean 'public address system'.

Old Oct 8th 2004, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cheeky
Hi there!!

I couldnt help but notice you are from Bolton!!! So what do you think of Peter Kay??!!! I think he is hilarious!!! It is very much 'northern' humour, which some people maybe dont get But anyway I think he is brill, makes me LOL

Regards, Cheeky
I think Peter Kay is very funny, but I think it's because he's the same age as me and I can relate to his school / family experiences.

What do people think to Kath and Kim? Does anyone find it funny?
Old Oct 8th 2004, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Cheeky
Hi there!!

Regards, Cheeky
Peter Kay is brilliant. I have only been in Bolton for a year and he satirises life here perfectly, both in Phoenix Nights and his live stand up.
He's actually been spotted quite alot around here in the past few months filming his new series.

I read an article in The Times recently which put forward that the North West was the Capital of humour as regards the U.K.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 10:43 am
Cheeky

'Hear, hear' Poacher!!!!!!

I would love to see him live!!!!! Side splitting stuff!!!!!
Cant wait for the new series!!!

Cheeky

Originally Posted by thepoacher
Peter Kay is brilliant. I have only been in Bolton for a year and he satirises life here perfectly, both in Phoenix Nights and his live stand up.
He's actually been spotted quite alot around here in the past few months filming his new series.

I read an article in The Times recently which put forward that the North West was the Capital of humour as regards the U.K.

Old Oct 8th 2004, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I also agree that its more a case of individual taste rather than an Aus v UK thing... a lot of the Australian humour currently on TV, i do not find funny at all, but saying that, my fave comedian is Billy Connolly, who is very popular down under and i also like Kevin Bloody Wilson too, who is very much in the same vein as Billy. Maybe its an age thing too. I am getting a bit older and find some of the humour very immature and silly. I do love to watch the antics on the footy show with Fatty, Stirlo and co. always makes me smile.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

The only difference between Ozzie and British peoples sense of humour is that Ozzies dont have any............at all...........apart from teenage toilet humour, subtle humourgoes straight over their heads
Old Oct 8th 2004, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Stoney
The only difference between Ozzie and British peoples sense of humour is that Ozzies dont have any............at all...........apart from teenage toilet humour, subtle humourgoes straight over their heads
Surely to pidgeon hole a whole nation's taste in humour is a tad arrogant.
Off the top of my head I can think of a couple of Rob Sitch (born in Melbourne) films; The Castle and The Dish, that are far from toilet humour while still being extremely funny.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think the Australian sense of humour is as dry, which is why I love the British sense of humour (Am neither british nor Aussie). I quite enjoy Kath and Kim though, it takes some getting used to and it also helps if you have ever been to Melbourne's western suburbs
Old Oct 8th 2004, 12:20 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I'm probably odd one out but I'd rather watch Kath & Kim than Alan Partridge. Like PP I think Billy Connolly is hard to beat, just wish he would do another tour of Aus.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Big Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bordy
I'm probably odd one out but I'd rather watch Kath & Kim than Alan Partridge. Like PP I think Billy Connolly is hard to beat, just wish he would do another tour of Aus.

Bordy I totally agree! Found Kath and Kim very funny.

My friend has just seen Billy live at Hammersmith and said she hasn't laughed so much in years.

Have you ever seen All Aussie Adventures (Russell Coight)? Had me and my husband in tears - we do have an odd sense of humour though. Funny website too - www.bigcoight.com especially the Q&A.

Hev
Old Oct 8th 2004, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shellfish
I don't think the Australian sense of humour is as dry, which is why I love the British sense of humour (Am neither british nor Aussie). I quite enjoy Kath and Kim though, it takes some getting used to and it also helps if you have ever been to Melbourne's western suburbs
So, are Kath and Kim 'Bogans'? What the hell is a 'Bogan' anyway? Any definitions, or do you just identify them by their dodgy mullet and shell suit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.