Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did you see 'Place in the Sun?'

Did you see 'Place in the Sun?'

Old Nov 28th 2002, 3:48 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Vicky88
BTW Dotty, thanks for those links, sure are some nice properties listed. I was impressed that it is possible to get a place for less than $400,000 which doesn't seem that expensive after looking at the prices in the UK and here in the US.
No why do you think prices are low here , crap wages my dear everything is market driven

Old Nov 28th 2002, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll agree with you that wages are not what you would hope for in Australia. Truthfully that is our number one reason for not living in Australia at the moment. We can earn so much more overseas and pay so much less tax as well.

I guess relative to the UK the wages/housing prices in Australia don't seem bad. We were living in Windsor where the house we were renting would sell for 390,000. This was for a 2 bedroom terrace house, with a courtyard garden and no parking. If my husband had of been a permanent employee he would have been lucky to make 50 to 55K. Now if we were to go to Melbourne we could get a house for $400,000 and probably expect a salary of 80k or so, so I see the prices/wages ratio as being slightly better than the UK.
Old Nov 28th 2002, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

In response to the private message, Mooloolaba Beachfront is probably the main touist area on the sunshine coast apart from Hastings Street Noosa. It is completely built out with apartment blocks and a few little designer shops, several restaurants and coffee shops. Couple of nightclubs. Only things to purchase there would be luxury apartments in hi.rise. BTW it is only three or four blocks long. Packed in summer hols, traffic is a no no just walk.

Maroochy riverfront, varies from low rise apartments to really old houses that are redeveloped into more apartments. You can hire boats, fish, bit yukky to swim in tho. Famous for its pole dancing nightclub where the petitions go on and on to allow the dancers to actually take their clothes off.

Mudjimba (Pacific Paradise) is the hot one at the moment. It is like the worst poverty type area you could imagine it was known as Sh-- Box Alley, full of slums and real social problems. However it is near the beach, houses there you could not give away 2 years ago are selling for $300+. Its been fantastic for many poor families, they are selling up and feeling rich with the profits. Posh Gated communities are setting up and selling million dollar properties, reckon I know why they are gated tho!
Old Nov 28th 2002, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future
Default Beachside Property $135,000

Here's a near beachside property selling for $135,000 (that's Aussie Dollars) ... One Street from the Beach.

This turned up on the first search I did. I'll bet I can find a place for $100,000 if I look.

So where is it Woodgate !. To get there head North from Brisbane until you get to Childers ... as you approach Childers town boundary hang a right. Actually you are better stocking up at Childers Supermarket before you head down to Woodgate.

It's a beautiful spot to visit. A great spot to have a BBQ. Beautiful beach. There is a local store there too.

BUT remember with property Location, Location, Location. I've visited Woodgate several times I like it. But you'd hardly find work there ! But you will find $500,000 houses there as well.

Here's the link http://www.wbre.com.au/manl008.htm
Old Nov 28th 2002, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future
Default As I figured

Here's one listed for $69,500 ... at Taylors Beach in North Qld

http://www.acecomp.com.au/reitano/beaches.htm
Old Nov 28th 2002, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by dotty

Hi Dotty, In reply to you saying to look at real estate, I did just that on www.realestate.com.au
I don`t know if these areas are crap but I`m sure you will enlighten us on that if they are, I only looked at the first page as there was 20 to plough through, here goes: Bribe Island 4 bed = $239k, Whitfield 4 bed = $275k, Alexandra Hills 4 bed = $298k, Mansfield 4 bed = $295k and Karama Downs 4 bed = $235k, all of which are less than £100k. The programme A place in the sun was showing property for £100k or less not $.

I can well believe that the property market is rising in Oz but you wouldn`t believe how much it has risen in the UK, apparently it`s going to slump in the south east but is rapidly rising in the north. My nephew has just sold his small 3 bed house in Canvey Island, Essex (dump) for £170k.

Enough said I`m sure if anyone is returning back to the UK they`ll do their homework, if not more fool them.

Marlo
Old Nov 28th 2002, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

kango_jack will become famous soon enoughkango_jack will become famous soon enough

As per the original post, the program was great - not least of all as we were able to show family and friends places we visited whilst we were there in May.
I am sure a lot of people watched the program which followed which was about a family trying to find a 3 bedroomed house in Brighton for £300k - you compared this to what was shown in Australia - well there was no comparison.
House prices have gone mad all over the place and we could all quote different finds about how cheap/ expensive properties are - the only one I would like to mention are beach huts (sheds by the sea) being sold in Dorset for £120k!!!!!!!!!
Cheers
Annie
Old Nov 28th 2002, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

lorrimer is an unknown quantity at this point

We watched the program with great interest as we scoured the Sunshine
Coast for property for five weeks in May/June whilst validating our PR visas. We looked at all the areas on the program and even looked around the first show home. We stayed in Buderim and agree with Dotty that there was a real estate feeding frenzy going on. Buderim proved to be out of our price range as did Noosa. In the end we managed to find a lovely block of land (just over an acre) twelve minutes drive to the beach at Coolum with sea and mountain views, on an estate with piped electric and phone, roads etc. The price we paid was $140 K, so we'll be delighted if prices have continued to rise since June.
The program stated that the exchange rate was based on Spring 2002 prices. To find a nice house already built for $280k, £100k, or $250K as the exchange rate was whilst we were there, was impossible.
However I do believe it possible to be able to buy a plot of land for £41k
(Noosa hinterland) not beach as the program implied. The building cost of £56K would have been about right, and from what we understand, it's not the building costs that shoot up, it's the land.
We are looking to start building towards the end of next year. Anybody know of any good builders on the Sunshine Coast?
Old Nov 28th 2002, 1:22 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

So are you accusing the producers of A Place in the Sun of lying about these houses? I can't imagine that they would have any motivation for lying about the prices of these houses.

Yes there probably are a lot of houses available in the higher price ranges, but I would be surprised if you can't buy a house somewhere on the Qld coast for 100,000 quid. I am assuming that the houses featured were in smaller towns, but can't confirm that as I didn't see the show.

Dotty is totally right about the house prices in Brisbane, she is not lying.. there is a house boom on, they were cheaper a couple of years back (sunshine and Gold coast included).

Now, for under 100 thou pounds , the house near the sea in a GOOD area will be streets away and be an old fibro (wood) house.. House prices are rocketing here. To live on the Gold or sunshine coast next to the water you'll need more than 200 thou pounds... depending on what area they can be anything from a good few hundred thou to a couple of million!

If you want cheap... Canal houses around North Brisbane (Scarborough) are some of the cheapest for miles. at the moment ("goodish" area, very boring, but not a "rough" area). these are from five hundred thou AU dollars to about 700 thou for the best ones ...(I'm living in this area- The [Redcliffe area) (they were around 300 thou 2 years ago... they have shot up enormously) Houses in Woody point, and Redcliffe are near (walking distance) to the water and if you look around, you will get some of them for under 200 thou pounds... but most are wood, it's an old area, slowly being replaced with Brick, and it's not like a proper beach, very shallow, no surf.. hard to explain. also in this area you get a brick house, a five to ten minute drive to the water front (it will take you about 40 minutes to walk) for $250 au to $300 , but it's not golden beaches and surf.. it's like sand flats, very shallow.
Gold coast and Sunshine coast.. there is no way you will get a beach house for under 200 thou pounds.

Someone asked what Bribie Island was like... it's a nice place, and still cheapish at the moment, but prices are rising fast. . It was one of the places I was looking at to buy, but it's a bit too far for me to travel back and fore to work... put's another 30 minutes on my journey. .. Otherwise I would have bought a house or land on Bribie myself.

Bribie Island is about 98 per cent Brick houses. On the Island, it has plenty of stuff... Banks, schools, cinemas , clubs. It is a nice place... I go up that way very often for the fishing around the island. It's beaches are generally calm, safe swimming, it also has a four wheel drive beach at the top of the island. yes it's a nice place.. I can recommend this area.

cheers

P.S.. be careful of North Brisbane .., some areas are good, others are not.

What may look cheap advertised on the real estate sites.. is cheap for a number of reasons, it could be a very long drive to the city, small, and maybe a rough area. I know, as I've lost count of how many times I've gone to look at property advertised as being this and that, and it turn's out to be a small house, and the area is rubbish. I was looking to buy, but give up! it was cheaper to buy my own plot and build what I wanted, which I'm doing, plus you know the house will be "solid", no termites, and wiring prob's etc

And as someone mentioned, it is the land that cost's .. you are paying for your location. An old shabby wooden run down house in Bulimba (it's on the Brisbane river).. will cost around a million! yes, it's the land.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 28th 2002 at 2:08 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2002, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A PLACE IN THE SUN

Hi Mash,

Thanks for the plug!!!!!!!!

We were flown to Woolgoolga (Coff's Harbour) on 28th October and were shown houses between 2nd november & 6th November 2002. They showed us 4 houses and the price started at £65,000 going up to £200,000. The most expensive house was beautiful. If you want to see it this is the web site www.cardowwebster.com.au (come and see the magic) it is on the market for $565.000 (£201,000), but the vendors would take £175,000. If it had more bedrooms we would of bought it!!!
The estate agent showed us numerous plots of land starting from $60,000 to $200,000 and personnally drove us around the area, he is now e-mailing me with new property's and land.
The programme worked on the exchange rate being 2.8 which it was at the beginning of the year.
We had planned on Adalaide but we are going to go to this area as we were so impressed with what we saw. Coff's Harbour is the largest manufacturing town outside Sydneysee website:- http://future.coffs.com.au ,so hopefully my hubby can get work.

Sue

Last edited by sue5665; Nov 28th 2002 at 2:21 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2002, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

It is good to hear that lots of us watched the program and that it cheered us up - we need it, especially with all the constant negative arguments on this site.

D and PB please read the facts BEFORE you write like a know-all. QUID is slang for British Pounds - maybe some of you negative vibe merchants have been out there for so long that you have forgotten.

I was out on Sunshine coast 2 months ago and there were plenty of properties for around $300 00 dollars - yes that is just over £100 000 pounds Dotty and Pommie. Of course they are not prime waterfront, but even so beautiful locations in their own right.

It is good to hear that most of us watched and no we are not all green enough to think you could buy anywhere decent for $100 000 dollars!!

Best of luck all you 'normal' posters, don't let the 3 witches put you off going.

Tina
Old Nov 28th 2002, 10:31 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

I'll agree with you that wages are not what you would hope for in Australia. Truthfully that is our number one reason for not living in Australia at the moment. We can earn so much more overseas and pay so much less tax as well.

I guess relative to the UK the wages/housing prices in Australia don't seem bad. We were living in Windsor where the house we were renting would sell for 390,000. This was for a 2 bedroom terrace house, with a courtyard garden and no parking. If my husband had of been a permanent employee he would have been lucky to make 50 to 55K. Now if we were to go to Melbourne we could get a house for $400,000 and probably expect a salary of 80k or so, so I see the prices/wages ratio as being slightly better than the UK.
You could look at it like that but Melbourne is not Windsor and there are a lot cheaper places to live in the UK than where you are , you are paying for a up market location that will not change where ever you choose to live even in Australia.The UK varies in price much more than than Australia and its easier to travel from one city to another get your head out of the sand, as an Australian why leave the land of plenty if its so good here?

Last edited by pommie bastard; Nov 28th 2002 at 10:35 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2002, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by Marlo
Originally posted by dotty

Hi Dotty, In reply to you saying to look at real estate, I did just that on www.realestate.com.au
I don`t know if these areas are crap but I`m sure you will enlighten us on that if they are, I only looked at the first page as there was 20 to plough through, here goes: Bribe Island 4 bed = $239k, Whitfield 4 bed = $275k, Alexandra Hills 4 bed = $298k, Mansfield 4 bed = $295k and Karama Downs 4 bed = $235k, all of which are less than £100k. The programme A place in the sun was showing property for £100k or less not $.

I can well believe that the property market is rising in Oz but you wouldn`t believe how much it has risen in the UK, apparently it`s going to slump in the south east but is rapidly rising in the north. My nephew has just sold his small 3 bed house in Canvey Island, Essex (dump) for £170k.

Enough said I`m sure if anyone is returning back to the UK they`ll do their homework, if not more fool them.

Marlo
Alex Hills - $298 - yes, have you been inside it? I think not...

BTW, in this week's Bayside Bulletin's Property Guide (the most comprehensive Real Estate listings available), a plot of land at Wellington Point (adjacent suburb to Alex Hills) is on the market for $925,000... that's just the LAND... how much land? 800sq. mtrs!!!
Old Nov 28th 2002, 10:42 pm
Banned

Originally posted by tinaj
It is good to hear that lots of us watched the program and that it cheered us up - we need it, especially with all the constant negative arguments on this site.

D and PB please read the facts BEFORE you write like a know-all. QUID is slang for British Pounds - maybe some of you negative vibe merchants have been out there for so long that you have forgotten.

I was out on Sunshine coast 2 months ago and there were plenty of properties for around $300 00 dollars - yes that is just over £100 000 pounds Dotty and Pommie. Of course they are not prime waterfront, but even so beautiful locations in their own right.

It is good to hear that most of us watched and no we are not all green enough to think you could buy anywhere decent for $100 000 dollars!!

Best of luck all you 'normal' posters, don't let the 3 witches put you off going.

Tina

House prices are in relation to earnings as you will find out , I have a terrace house that cost $300,000 in WA and its not on the river or beach in fact a very average area the prices you quote will not get you much in WA which is one of the cheaper states here.Dream on and I have no idea what you mean about beautiful locations this place is a dust bowl , its brown in Summer and yellow in winter?

Last edited by pommie bastard; Nov 29th 2002 at 1:49 am.
Old Nov 29th 2002, 1:42 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by pommie bastard
House prices are in relation to earnings as you find out , I have a terrace house than cost $300,000 in WA and its not on the river or beach in fact a very average area the prices you quote will not get you much in WA which is one of the cheaper states here.Dream on and I have no idea what you mean about beautiful locations this place is a dust bowl , its brown in Summer and yellow in winter?

Personally I love Sydney but we can't afford to live here and we have no idea how others do too! They did some surveys of the nicest suburbs here recently (the nice Eastern suburbs and the decent North shore suburbs). The results were quite startling. In the good suburbs the average price of a 3 bedroom house is $1 million. Meanwhile the average income in these suburbs was between $90k and $110k pa. The kind of income multiples that make London seem cheap!
What that tells you is that the good Sydney suburbs are full of residents who bought when property was affordable or wealthy ex pats who bring $500k with them! Its quite tragic really as we would love to live in one of these decent suburbs. All we, and ordinary folk like us, can afford in Sydney is a small house in one of the excruciatingly dull outer suburbs, a good 1 hour drive in. We'll pass on that thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.