Reload this Page >

Depressed,And my husband has been a Prat

Depressed,And my husband has been a Prat

Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

rach_and_doc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Depressed,And my husband has been a Prat

Originally Posted by Swotsmart
Like most posts have already said, I think you will begin to feel a lot better once you meet with people and talk things over...please take up the offer. You will find that talking with others who have been through simillar experiences helps and hey...it is always best to get things off your chest else you become a pressure cooker...cheer up .

Your husband and kids need you to be strong...don't for one second think that he wants you and the kids to go through pain...we all suffer from uninformed optimism from time-to-time but working as a 'team' is the best way to turn things around.

I take it when you say you are paying the mortgage back home you mean the mortgage in the UK...if this is so, once you have it rented or sold, things are bound to improve.

Remember, take up the offers and meet with people...keep your chin up and give the hubby a hug he needs it...

wow, you guys are all so nice, hope the coffee invites are still open when i eventually get to brisbane, we're moving to the ferny grove area and hopefully should be there towards the middle/end of july, although havent booked flights yet, am waiting on finalizing this house sale
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:48 pm
Tiny Member

tucs is on a distinguished road

Everyone who has posted on this thread, Karma to all of you. Proof there are good people out there and great to see you all offering your help.

Gop meet up with whoever you can, talk about it and do not sit alone bottling it up.

And remember something always turns up. Dont be alone with this.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 9:21 pm
gop
Forum Regular

gop has a reputation beyond reputegop has a reputation beyond reputegop has a reputation beyond reputegop has a reputation beyond reputegop has a reputation beyond reputegop has a reputation beyond reputegop has a reputation beyond reputegop has a reputation beyond reputegop has a reputation beyond reputegop has a reputation beyond reputegop has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I would just like to thank you all so much for your messages of support. I would have answered these earlier but my eldest daughter has decided on Kelvin Grove college as it offers her most of the subjects plus she can do distance education French through the school. After 3 1/2 years in France her French is quite good and it would be a shame to miss out on a certificate pretty much already in the bag. So yesterday afternoon was spent sorting all that out. So now need to find a rental where she can catch the bus. Attempted to go and see a couple of houses but on route got pulled over by an off duty cop to tell me my driving was a bit "dodgy" I still dont know whether I was embarrassed by the situation or the fact that he was so nice or that he was so bloody good looking! My daughter was map reading and hands up I did loose concentration for a second. So on that I retreated back here to Kangaroo point Brisbane and had a bloody good "boo hoo", yes because of my stupidity but more for the loss of my youth.
Anyway the pay my husband has excepted is crap for even Australian rates of pay, and to answer another person our house is in France where the property market is not very good at the moment so I hold out no hope there apart from selling very low ,without getting back a lot of what we put into it.
On a lighter note had a lovely afternoon at the koala sanctuary the children loved it even my eldest who didnt`t want to go in the first place. On our next visit though I think I will push my husband closer to the emu`s so as they can peck his eyes out, well hes deaf and dumb he might as well be blind!
Lets hope I can meet some of you and thank you personally for your support, you have been great. Must get back to the ongoing crap of internet searches for rentals, before hubby wakes up and asks the proverbial "have you found anything yet" Catch up with you soon. Jane
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 11:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gop
On a lighter note had a lovely afternoon at the koala sanctuary the children loved it even my eldest who didnt`t want to go in the first place. On our next visit though I think I will push my husband closer to the emu`s so as they can peck his eyes out, well hes deaf and dumb he might as well be blind!
Lets hope I can meet some of you and thank you personally for your support, you have been great. Must get back to the ongoing crap of internet searches for rentals, before hubby wakes up and asks the proverbial "have you found anything yet" Catch up with you soon. Jane
Hope to get together with you soon - keep an eye on the Meet ip forum and we'll try and fix up a city drinking night.
In the meantime - I love the idea with the emu....keep your sense of humour, it gets you through a lot
Old Jun 25th 2006, 7:40 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gop
Hi I would just like to thank you all so much for your messages of support. I would have answered these earlier but my eldest daughter has decided on Kelvin Grove college as it offers her most of the subjects plus she can do distance education French through the school. After 3 1/2 years in France her French is quite good and it would be a shame to miss out on a certificate pretty much already in the bag. So yesterday afternoon was spent sorting all that out. So now need to find a rental where she can catch the bus. Attempted to go and see a couple of houses but on route got pulled over by an off duty cop to tell me my driving was a bit "dodgy" I still dont know whether I was embarrassed by the situation or the fact that he was so nice or that he was so bloody good looking! My daughter was map reading and hands up I did loose concentration for a second. So on that I retreated back here to Kangaroo point Brisbane and had a bloody good "boo hoo", yes because of my stupidity but more for the loss of my youth.
Anyway the pay my husband has excepted is crap for even Australian rates of pay, and to answer another person our house is in France where the property market is not very good at the moment so I hold out no hope there apart from selling very low ,without getting back a lot of what we put into it.
I may be missing the point completely here, if so, I apologise in advance.....

However, I was of the understanding that when a family move to the other side of the world - it is usually a 'joint' decision made between ALL family members??

I am just a little troubled by your readiness to blame your husband for dragging you to Australia? Do you not have a tongue in your head, are you not able to make decisions for yourself?

Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Im sorry but i also agree with above. you complain bitterly about your husbands bad pay but at least he is trying. Are u working. I think probably not. I know if me & my wife were in a similar situation she would do something to fetch in extra money.When our first daughter was born she made gift bags at home. pay was abysmal but it paid the shopping bill. Sorry to be blunt but get off your backside stop feeling sorry for yourself & help him out. Remember marraige is a partnership

Last edited by raven; Jun 25th 2006 at 10:35 am. Reason: spelling error
Old Jun 25th 2006, 12:02 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raven
Im sorry but i also agree with above. you complain bitterly about your husbands bad pay but at least he is trying. Are u working. I think probably not. I know if me & my wife were in a similar situation she would do something to fetch in extra money.When our first daughter was born she made gift bags at home. pay was abysmal but it paid the shopping bill. Sorry to be blunt but get off your backside stop feeling sorry for yourself & help him out. Remember marraige is a partnership
Very easy to say sitting in your cosy familiar home.

Try getting a work-from-home job when you first arrive in a new country and haven't even got a rental home yet, haven't got your own things around you and have three kids who are probably feeling equally lost.
Try getting a job for extra money when you don't know where you will be living - could end up on the opposite side of the city, not very helpful for travelling.
try working when you have to spend all day driving around trying to find schools and rental homes in a strange city.

Try reading the lady's previous posts - they haven't even been here a month yet so to be that harsh to someone who is clearly very homesick is not really helping anyone. I hope you don't feel that lost when you get here.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 2:26 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

extremely harsh mate. A move to Australia seems very exciting when you are planning it and then suddenly you are here and reality sets in and you realise you are not on holiday, this is it, your new life. Pray that you never want any help from the kind folks on this site, me thinks you will be given short shrift.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northernbird
extremely harsh mate. A move to Australia seems very exciting when you are planning it and then suddenly you are here and reality sets in and you realise you are not on holiday, this is it, your new life. Pray that you never want any help from the kind folks on this site, me thinks you will be given short shrift.
Iam sorry you feel i am being harsh.But her husband is being branded as the bad guy here what was it complete prat. She was not dragged kicking and screaming onto that aeroplane. It seems to me that thier problems are deeper than just the emigration to aus. It is always easier to admit defeat than to stand up and be counted
Old Jun 25th 2006, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

JosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fenton Beasley
I feel for you, I really do. I don't know the the full story of why you moved here (obviously) but it sounds like your husband has got swept up in the "grass is greener down-under" thing. The grass is not greener in Australia, it's just a different shade of green. I'd take up Jane's offer of a chat over a cuppa if I were you. I'm sure she would help just by listening. I know you're angry with your husband. If you were to tell him how angry you were but leave out the accusations toward him, I'm sure he'd try and 'put things right'. Men don't like being told it's their fault, even when it is. Just like women don't like being told the solutions to their problems by men when all they want is someone to listen to and be understood. When you tell him how p*ssed off you are; try and just concentrate on how you're feeling. "I'm p*ssed off. I'm scared, I'm alone, I can't cope" rather than, "You've p*ssed me off, why did you have to bring us here? this is your fault".

There's help here if you need it. Use us, we don't mind

You like me appear to have been reading men are from mars women are from venus. sound advice all round me thinks

Josie
x
Old Jun 25th 2006, 2:50 pm
Home and Happy

Iam sorry you feel i am being harsh.But her husband is being branded as the bad guy here what was it complete prat. She was not dragged kicking and screaming onto that aeroplane. It seems to me that thier problems are deeper than just the emigration to aus. It is always easier to admit defeat than to stand up and be counted
Hmm, sounds to me like she is asking for help, not admitting defeat.
Is she on a plane home? No, she is willing to meet up with some of us, is trying to find a place to live, and is getting her kids into school. Thats not defeat, thats a fighting spirit.

And that comes from someone who has called her own husband far far worse than a prat for dragging her over here
Old Jun 25th 2006, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

hedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hmm, sounds to me like she is asking for help, not admitting defeat.
Is she on a plane home? No, she is willing to meet up with some of us, is trying to find a place to live, and is getting her kids into school. Thats not defeat, thats a fighting spirit.

And that comes from someone who has called her own husband far far worse than a prat for dragging her over here
It is just like everything there are 2 sides to this story. Just like the people on this forum giving 2 different opinions (neither right nor wrong).

Type 1. They are the come and have a cup of tea and a chat, this may help you talk about your home sickness or whatever else you put it down to.

Type 2. They may think pull yourself together you are a big girl and no one forced you to come, surely you must of dicussed living on the other side of the world before you boarded the plane.

I think it is only fair that all comments are directed at the OP, and only she can make her mind up as to whether they are harsh or not.

The OP may realise yes !!!! I did just sit back and let OH get carried away and I did just come over here thinking it was all be rosey.

OR

OP may think I will have a meet with some of the other ex pats and see if I can help resolve some of the issues I am blaming my Husband for. Perhaps the whole situation will seem a lot easier to cope with after a good old cup of tea and a girly moan/chat.
A problem shared and all that.

Good luck to the Op in whatever she decides to do.

and lets not turn this into a I'm right your wrong thread. An opinion is an opinion.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute

Take the rosie specs off mate been their done it.

This is one hell of a culture shock and it takes time to adjust.

Given time you will soon find out yourself

Mags
Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maggy
Take the rosie specs off mate been their done it.

This is one hell of a culture shock and it takes time to adjust.

Given time you will soon find out yourself

Mags

I would like to start this thread by opologising to gop for my earlier thread i think i was a little harsh to someone who is clearly unhappy with her situation.I have been brought up that a kick up the backside is more productive than an arm around a shoulder. I wish gop the very best and hope she manages to sort out all of her issues and has a long and happy life in Australia. However i hope that this site allows itself to express its members opinions without fear or retribution. I do have some idea of Australia and its job situation as i have made 2 visits in the last 3 years to make sure the move is right for us. I would not go in to this blindfolded althuogh i have nothing against anybody who goes there without a validation trip. Once again i wish everybody on this site every success in their move to Australia and i hope the forum continues to bring up such contravershel issues as this one

Last edited by raven; Jun 25th 2006 at 8:08 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

I would like to start this thread by opologising to gop for my earlier thread i think i was a little harsh to someone who is clearly unhappy with her situation.I have been brought up that a kick up the backside is more productive than an arm around a shoulder. I wish gop the very best and hope she manages to sort out all of her issues and has a long and happy life in Australia. However i hope that this site allows itself to express its members opinions without fear or retribution. I do have some idea of Australia and its job situation as i have made 2 visits in the last 3 years to make sure the move is right for us. I would not go in to this blindfolded althuogh i have nothing against anybody who goes there without a validation trip. Once again i wish everybody on this site every success in their move to Australia and i hope the forum continues to bring up such contravershel issues as this one
Well done

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.