Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dental Treatment/Health Insurance - Perth

Dental Treatment/Health Insurance - Perth

Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

brickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nice
Default Dental Treatment/Health Insurance - Perth

I have just been informed by the School Dental Service, that my youngest will need orthodontic treatment, which will probably cost around $5000, this was no surprise to me, and I will be going to go ahead with the treatment.

I was planning on investigating Health cover, as we will have been here a year in September and are both well over 30. My first question is, if I take out health insurance, will it cover this orthodontic treatment, or would it be classed as a pre-existing condition. Secondly, can anyone recommend which Health insurance company to go to or which to avoid. and ,Thirdly, recommendation for a good orthodontist NOR Perth.

Many thanks

Tina
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

Weird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really nice
Default Re: Dental Treatment/Health Insurance - Perth

Health insurance isn't all it is cracked up to be, so look very carefully before you jump on that bandwagon. They certainly won't stump up the full cost of treatment.

General Dental on our policy has a 2 month waiting period and Major Dental (orthodontics) has a 12 month wait. Sometimes they waive the 2 month, but I expect that as the problem has already been identified, it will also be classified as a pre-existing condition.

Our major dental is limited to $1000 per person per year and for braces it is limited to $300 p/a. Also even though the insurance company says they pay a maximum benefit of x that is not what is deducted from your bill it appears to be a percentage per treatment.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:55 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brickies wife
I have just been informed by the School Dental Service, that my youngest will need orthodontic treatment, which will probably cost around $5000, this was no surprise to me, and I will be going to go ahead with the treatment.

I was planning on investigating Health cover, as we will have been here a year in September and are both well over 30. My first question is, if I take out health insurance, will it cover this orthodontic treatment, or would it be classed as a pre-existing condition. Secondly, can anyone recommend which Health insurance company to go to or which to avoid. and ,Thirdly, recommendation for a good orthodontist NOR Perth.

Many thanks

Tina

I dont think you can get full cover dental insurance, many of the companies will give you only a small amount towards your dental treatment and even then, after a qualifying period.

Im trying to find a good dentist myself, with my insurance company Medibank, I get two free scale and polishes a year which will save me but I reckon it will be cheaper for me to fly to Asia to get fixed if I need anything major.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Weird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really nice

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I dont think you can get full cover dental insurance, many of the companies will give you only a small amount towards your dental treatment and even then, after a qualifying period.

Im trying to find a good dentist myself, with my insurance company Medibank, I get two free scale and polishes a year which will save me but I reckon it will be cheaper for me to fly to Asia to get fixed if I need anything major.
A good excuse for a holiday!
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Paul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nice

You know, I'v seen some of the dental bills on here too. It would be far cheaper to fly back to the UK for a holiday too. See your friends and family and make a bit of time to fly to Poland for the day where dental is soooooo cheap.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:24 am
Wirral to Lake Macquarie

andy170773 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
if you are to get health insurance with just extras cover you will have a 12 month wait for ortho work, and even if your own dentist has diagnosed that your child needs ortho treatment, you will be still covered whether pre existing or not, as you will need to be referred to an orthodontist, who will then make his own diagnosis. ortho work generally takes 18 months to complete, most major dental plans will cover you for up to $2000 for ortho treatment, usually only around $700 of this per year though, so you need to work it so you can pay your dentist in installments to get the full benefit. most dentists understand this and are willing to do it this way.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

No benefit in having braces fitted O/S unless you are prepared to go back for adjustments all the time because the Aussie orthodontists will rip the braces off and put their own on and charge you full whack as well. If you dont want to wait and go down the private insurance road, sometimes they will give you a discount if you pay up front and you could take out a personal loan to pay it off. If you pay over about $1250(?) in a tax year then you can claim any excess plus the cost of any other medical fees incurred during the year and get a tax rebate which also brings the price down a bit.

If you think that ball park your private health could cost $3K pa anyway and you would have to have joined for 12 months before you get any benefit for the orthodontics and would need to keep it up to the end of the treatment then you would probably be better off with a loan anyway unless your salary puts you over the surcharge limit.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

brickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nice

Thank you to everyone who has taken time to reply. Not good news but plenty of good advice.

Will start putting in for overtime at work.

Tina