Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Decision time....again!

Decision time....again!

Old Aug 30th 2013, 2:04 am
Just Joined

Bonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really nice
Default Re: Decision time....again!

I think so too....Taxi!
Old Aug 30th 2013, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonnie Scotland
Firstly thanks for all the reply's...much appreciated...kind of like the voices in my head! I think I’ve gone through all the scenarios twenty times.

I’m sorry if I sound ungrateful towards Australia or that I didn’t do my homework before coming here.

I am grateful...my second child was conceived here and we have had some great days out and my son has had some of the best experiences a boy could hope for.....BUT

Let me start with the wildlife bit...people have said that’s rubbish etc...well a large brown snake was taken out of the garden next door...to me that’s a near miss of a fatal nature for my son..to me that’s a bigee..Meaning I cant relax if he’s outside in the garden playing
Also I was out on a push bike with my son sitting on one of those kiddy seats when we were attacked...and I mean attacked..by magpies...now these things were really going for it...I was bleeding from small cuts to my head (stop laughing readers) if they had gone for my son and got an eye...again serious.

We have heard countless 1st hand red back spider stories...like a friend who lifted her kettle to find 4 or 5 of the wee buggers lurking there...again these could seriously injure a small child..although I think the last fatality was 20 years or more

I would also add Australian driving as a health hazard, here in QLD its almost a contact sport.

My wife and I agonized over selling our house in Scotland but we wanted to commit to the move and went for it...we looked at every house for sale at the time and over the internet and they looked great...in the flesh? Very different story.

I hear the 170k OMG that’s so much money…I’m sorry but no its bloody not when it’s the only wage as my wife is unable to work as shes pregnant (yes I know that’s our choice). And the cost of living etc is so mind bendingly high.

Ive previously given a run down of where my cash goes and I can assure you it all goes on essentials like food, rent and utility bills, yes we have a brand new car we are paying and yes I eat out most lunch times, would buying sandwich stuff from Coles make that much difference…maybe $150 per month but I like to get out of the office and if a sandwich is classed as a luxury then you’ve got me there.

"All this talk of farmhouses and motor sports a bit gauche, perhaps...."
Please I am a time served techician from a council estate...I worked hard and bought a farmhouse that needed alot of work...which I did. I built and raced Subarus and mini's hardly F1 again I did all the work...a man needs a hobby for god sake.

As for the police the day before I get pulled for no apparent reason and breathalyzed…no problem I pass , I wasn’t being smart I just asked “don’t you need a reason to pull me? What did I do?” This seemed to piss the copper off no end
Next day I turn into a street that is off limits during office hours…same copper…opening line from him ”Oh good we meet again”…Now I had just been told literally an hour before that one of my best lifelong friends had died in a helicopter crash, so I really couldnt give a *** or remember if I had met this copper before so I replied “do we?”
Hey presto I get a heap of “still being a smart arse etc etc” and here $400+ in fines and 6 points@! Again you could rightly say so what my fault…I thought about mentioning my friend or the fact that with a young family to lose my license would be a disaster but the copper was clearly on a roll and loving it so why give him any more pleasure.

I am still hoping against hope that this is just the bottom of the curve and things will immediately improve…but everytime I think it cant get any worse surely!...Oh yes it bloody can!
All good mate, some people do seem to attact problems, and its reflected in the way they write, if you think people are judging you, for example driving is not that bad, I know it isnt!

It's all down to you.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I can relate to pretty much everything you say.

The police swing between incompetant to corrupt.

Wildlife is an issue. We do not have children but do have a very small dog and last year there were a number of dogs near us killed by snake bite. I am here because my wife loves it. But, she knows that the limit would be if my dog was bitten. I wouldnt even stop to pack. Simply flag a taxi and head for the airport for the first seat back.

Building standards are appalling.

Cost of living ridiculous.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 5:09 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
But, she knows that the limit would be if my dog was bitten. I wouldnt even stop to pack. Simply flag a taxi and head for the airport for the first seat back.
Where your dog would get hit by a car, forcing you to move to Sark.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Bee stings in the UK kill more people than snakes do in Australia.

Every time you go out in a car you have a much higher risk of death (here and UK).

We see lots of snakes. Had to call in the snake catcher once to remove an injured venemous one. Free service provided by the local policeman, who took the snake away in the boot of the panda car.

Perhaps the OP should try living in a different area before giving up.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
That is a lot of money, we could live on that happily
I earned $70000 ish with 2 kids and rented and always had more money left over than in the Uk.it must be all about money management.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonnie Scotland
I think so too....Taxi!
Your life is a misery .... time to move on.

PS I would never live in Scotland or Brisbane. Perhaps thatt the start of your internal battles.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 10:51 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Don't take this the wrong way mate but negativity breeds more negatives and it's a hard spiral to crack.

If you are still in two minds how about turning a page and tackling all those issues with a fresh perspective. See them as challenges which you will surmount with a positive attitude.

After all why would you wish to return to Scotland? It's full of Scottish people. If that's what you actually want or need you could get a cheaper taxi fare by moving to Pacific Pines.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 8:08 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix

After all why would you wish to return to Scotland? It's full of Scottish people. If that's what you actually want or need you could get a cheaper taxi fare by moving to Pacific Pines.
You know you love us
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 8:24 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
You know you love us
I was made an honorary Scotsman some time ago.