Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Decision time....again!

Decision time....again!

Old Aug 29th 2013, 10:24 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decision time....again!

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Anyone who bought 12 years ago is laughing now. I don't think Aussie houses are quite as bad as people make out. I don't think they are all going to collapse overnight! I mean we have houses 100 years old in our village and they are fairly sturdy.
I think build quality now, the world over, is appalling, and without knowing the first thing about the construction industry I'm going to attribute it to the corrupt economics that are ruining the West in general.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonnie Scotland
I've been in Brisbane nearly a year but over all it looks like I have to accept a substantial drop in standard of living or return to the UK.

A comparable house to the one I had in Scotland is out of my reach here...I have 600k/700k I need 900k $

My UK house value was around 400k GBP I have yet to see a houe here at any price that comes close in quality

Its the main problem really, Ive bought my car here but the house is still missing and Im dipping into the money from the sale of my UK house each month to pay the rent which is common in my circle of friends

I just cant bring myself to pay so much for so little house here for fear of a price crash...back to Scotland is the safe option for me and my family, no doubt about that, a granite house thats been there for 100 years is going nowhere, the build quality here is non existant, laughable most of the time, stuff that B&Q stocked in the 80's would be top end here.

And Im nearly banned from driving here!..the police are the only bloody thing that works here, I was seen taking off my seat belt off to open the glove box...3 points...4mph over the speed limit 3 points...turning left into a road that you cannt turn left on during office hours..3 points...ACAB!

My wifes in two minds as ususal which doesnt help...shes at her wits end with the health care are here and the fact we are never away from the docs..the constant near wildlife misses..snakes/spiders/god knows what...yet when the suns out you think youd be mad to go.

BUT we are constantly broke...really broke...cant buy a bloody magazine broke...not what I was expecting at all...worse than my student days 25 years ago...and I have kids now so its not on
It sounds like Australia is just not for you. Doesn't seem like much of a decision tbh.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's time for the OP to either decide to give Australia a fair go and stop blaming it for decisions he has made (e.g. most of his outgoing expenses could easily be far less) - or he should go back to Scotland.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
I think it's time for the OP to either decide to give Australia a fair go and stop blaming it for decisions he has made (e.g. most of his outgoing expenses could easily be far less) - or he should go back to Scotland.
I thought a lot of the expenses looked quite reasonable tbh. Other than the car, especially when driving an old one, I don't know how that can cost over a grand and of course the summary does not add up as 5750 less 1200 leaves 4500-is not 3500-ish as stated. Possible to live more cheaply but OP has explained that they want to live the standard of living they are accustomed to.

We wouldn't dream if telling anyone they should be aspiring to a higher standard of living so why tell someone they should be lowering their standards (general comment based on prior responses not to you RM).

Still as I say, this is clearly not working for them and sounds like it is time to go.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:19 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

..the constant near wildlife misses..snakes/spiders/god knows what...
Constant? I've been here 30 years and worked/travelled over a large part of this wonderful country and don't suppose I've seen more than two or three snakes, a couple of dingos and a few redbacks. Plenty of roos, wallabies, wedge-tail eagles and emus, but if they worry you then you are definitely in the wrong place.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Constant? I've been here 30 years and worked/travelled over a large part of this wonderful country and don't suppose I've seen more than two or three snakes, a couple of dingos and a few redbacks. Plenty of roos, wallabies, wedge-tail eagles and emus, but if they worry you then you are definitely in the wrong place.
you're as likely to cut your mouth on the edge of an opened can of Irn Bru.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
it looks like the OP has expensive accommodation costs; this and the Fx rate would be enough to scupper any budget.

I was a bit surprised to see business lunches, aren't business lunches expensed?
Also clothes cost seem high.

All this talk of farmhouses and motor sports a bit gauche, perhaps....

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Aug 29th 2013 at 9:34 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

It saddens me that material possessions equate in such a way with happiness

..." We aren't happy coz we can't have...."

What ever happened to.... " we haven't got that right now.... Might like it in the future... We will get on with our lives, loving each other, enjoying what we do have and being happy because we are healthy and well fed.... "
Old Aug 29th 2013, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
I think build quality now, the world over, is appalling, and without knowing the first thing about the construction industry I'm going to attribute it to the corrupt economics that are ruining the West in general.
True for Canada. New builds are generally worse than older homes. Judging from what our home inspector told us anyway.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 11:16 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007

What ever happened to.... " we haven't got that right now.... Might like it in the future... We will get on with our lives, loving each other, enjoying what we do have and being happy because we are healthy and well fed.... "
I'm with you on that one.

I agree with BS that it's not for us to say what people should expect standard of living wise and you are accustomed to what you are accustomed to. However, I do tire a bit of reading about people who are "struggling" when they are earning large sums of money, cut your cloth to suit your coat as the saying goes... When times are tough, cut back a bit on the frivolous stuff. A lot of what are perceived to be necessities, really are not, they are just wants not needs.

To the OP, you certainly sound like you are a bit over Australia, and if that is the case then it's only a matter of time before you return to Scotland. It would probably be a good idea to sit down with pen and paper and write out all the pros and cons of each living situation and the financial implications of a move back. Also, is a move back really feasible? would a job be easily obtained etc... Good luck with whatever you decide. My view is that uncertainty is the worst of situations, it's very draining on an ongoing basis, so better to make a decision and deal with it, sooner rather than later.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 11:32 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
I think build quality now, the world over, is appalling, and without knowing the first thing about the construction industry I'm going to attribute it to the corrupt economics that are ruining the West in general
Yes, well, you would!

I attribute it to "you get what you pay for". If you are prepared to pay skilled craftsmen to do all the work on your house you will get the same build quality you would have had 50-100 years ago - but very few people want to spend that sort of money on a house build.

My house, which is timber framed and raised like many Queensland houses, was built in 1954 and every piece of original timber in the house is hardwood - to build like that today would cost a fortune, and most people would rather pay $100,000 less for factory made pine frames.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 11:36 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007

Very wise words there Ed.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 12:51 am
Just Joined

Bonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really nice

Firstly thanks for all the reply's...much appreciated...kind of like the voices in my head! I think I’ve gone through all the scenarios twenty times.

I’m sorry if I sound ungrateful towards Australia or that I didn’t do my homework before coming here.

I am grateful...my second child was conceived here and we have had some great days out and my son has had some of the best experiences a boy could hope for.....BUT

Let me start with the wildlife bit...people have said that’s rubbish etc...well a large brown snake was taken out of the garden next door...to me that’s a near miss of a fatal nature for my son..to me that’s a bigee..Meaning I cant relax if he’s outside in the garden playing
Also I was out on a push bike with my son sitting on one of those kiddy seats when we were attacked...and I mean attacked..by magpies...now these things were really going for it...I was bleeding from small cuts to my head (stop laughing readers) if they had gone for my son and got an eye...again serious.

We have heard countless 1st hand red back spider stories...like a friend who lifted her kettle to find 4 or 5 of the wee buggers lurking there...again these could seriously injure a small child..although I think the last fatality was 20 years or more

I would also add Australian driving as a health hazard, here in QLD its almost a contact sport.

My wife and I agonized over selling our house in Scotland but we wanted to commit to the move and went for it...we looked at every house for sale at the time and over the internet and they looked great...in the flesh? Very different story.

I hear the 170k OMG that’s so much money…I’m sorry but no its bloody not when it’s the only wage as my wife is unable to work as shes pregnant (yes I know that’s our choice). And the cost of living etc is so mind bendingly high.

Ive previously given a run down of where my cash goes and I can assure you it all goes on essentials like food, rent and utility bills, yes we have a brand new car we are paying and yes I eat out most lunch times, would buying sandwich stuff from Coles make that much difference…maybe $150 per month but I like to get out of the office and if a sandwich is classed as a luxury then you’ve got me there.

"All this talk of farmhouses and motor sports a bit gauche, perhaps...."
Please I am a time served techician from a council estate...I worked hard and bought a farmhouse that needed alot of work...which I did. I built and raced Subarus and mini's hardly F1 again I did all the work...a man needs a hobby for god sake.

As for the police the day before I get pulled for no apparent reason and breathalyzed…no problem I pass , I wasn’t being smart I just asked “don’t you need a reason to pull me? What did I do?” This seemed to piss the copper off no end
Next day I turn into a street that is off limits during office hours…same copper…opening line from him ”Oh good we meet again”…Now I had just been told literally an hour before that one of my best lifelong friends had died in a helicopter crash, so I really couldnt give a *** or remember if I had met this copper before so I replied “do we?”
Hey presto I get a heap of “still being a smart arse etc etc” and here $400+ in fines and 6 points@! Again you could rightly say so what my fault…I thought about mentioning my friend or the fact that with a young family to lose my license would be a disaster but the copper was clearly on a roll and loving it so why give him any more pleasure.

I am still hoping against hope that this is just the bottom of the curve and things will immediately improve…but everytime I think it cant get any worse surely!...Oh yes it bloody can!
Old Aug 30th 2013, 1:50 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Decision time....again!

Firstly thanks for all the reply's...much appreciated...kind of like the voices in my head! I think I’ve gone through all the scenarios twenty times.

I’m sorry if I sound ungrateful towards Australia or that I didn’t do my homework before coming here.

I am grateful...my second child was conceived here and we have had some great days out and my son has had some of the best experiences a boy could hope for.....BUT

Let me start with the wildlife bit...people have said that’s rubbish etc...well a large brown snake was taken out of the garden next door...to me that’s a near miss of a fatal nature for my son..to me that’s a bigee..Meaning I cant relax if he’s outside in the garden playing
Also I was out on a push bike with my son sitting on one of those kiddy seats when we were attacked...and I mean attacked..by magpies...now these things were really going for it...I was bleeding from small cuts to my head (stop laughing readers) if they had gone for my son and got an eye...again serious.

We have heard countless 1st hand red back spider stories...like a friend who lifted her kettle to find 4 or 5 of the wee buggers lurking there...again these could seriously injure a small child..although I think the last fatality was 20 years or more

I would also add Australian driving as a health hazard, here in QLD its almost a contact sport.

My wife and I agonized over selling our house in Scotland but we wanted to commit to the move and went for it...we looked at every house for sale at the time and over the internet and they looked great...in the flesh? Very different story.

I hear the 170k OMG that’s so much money…I’m sorry but no its bloody not when it’s the only wage as my wife is unable to work as shes pregnant (yes I know that’s our choice). And the cost of living etc is so mind bendingly high.

Ive previously given a run down of where my cash goes and I can assure you it all goes on essentials like food, rent and utility bills, yes we have a brand new car we are paying and yes I eat out most lunch times, would buying sandwich stuff from Coles make that much difference…maybe $150 per month but I like to get out of the office and if a sandwich is classed as a luxury then you’ve got me there.

"All this talk of farmhouses and motor sports a bit gauche, perhaps...."
Please I am a time served techician from a council estate...I worked hard and bought a farmhouse that needed alot of work...which I did. I built and raced Subarus and mini's hardly F1 again I did all the work...a man needs a hobby for god sake.

As for the police the day before I get pulled for no apparent reason and breathalyzed…no problem I pass , I wasn’t being smart I just asked “don’t you need a reason to pull me? What did I do?” This seemed to piss the copper off no end
Next day I turn into a street that is off limits during office hours…same copper…opening line from him ”Oh good we meet again”…Now I had just been told literally an hour before that one of my best lifelong friends had died in a helicopter crash, so I really couldnt give a *** or remember if I had met this copper before so I replied “do we?”
Hey presto I get a heap of “still being a smart arse etc etc” and here $400+ in fines and 6 points@! Again you could rightly say so what my fault…I thought about mentioning my friend or the fact that with a young family to lose my license would be a disaster but the copper was clearly on a roll and loving it so why give him any more pleasure.

I am still hoping against hope that this is just the bottom of the curve and things will immediately improve…but everytime I think it cant get any worse surely!...Oh yes it bloody can!
Your license demerit points are easily avoided - obey the road rules! Losing 3 points for speeding in Queensland means you were doing 13 - 20 kilometres over the speed limit.

To be honest, it seems a bit of a waste of your time to be writing these posts. There seem to be very few pluses to you staying in Australia, and the things you perceive as being 'against' - housing quality, cost of living, road rules, drivers, health care and wildlife - aren't going to change. Only you and your wife can make the 'stay or go' decision, but based on what you've written it's a done deal.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 1:51 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Your license demerit points are easily avoided - obey the road rules! Losing 3 points for speeding in Queensland means you were doing 13 - 20 kilometres over the speed limit.

To be honest, it seems a bit of a waste of your time to be writing these posts. There seem to be very few pluses to you staying in Australia, and the things you perceive as being 'against' - housing quality, cost of living, road rules, drivers, health care and wildlife - aren't going to change. Only you and your wife can make the 'stay or go' decision, but based on what you've written it's a done deal.

Yup. Time to GTFO.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.