Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Decided not to go to Aus in the end

Decided not to go to Aus in the end

Old Jul 10th 2002, 3:20 pm
Jaj

Default Re: Decided not to go to Aus in the end

Finch Presumably you're aware that your Australian born son is already an Australian
citizen (as you were permanent residents there when he was born)?

A slightly off-topic extension to this, is that the fact he is born in Australia
means that he's a British citizen by descent rather than by birth (even though he's
lived for many years in the UK, that does not change). What this means is that if in
future his children - your grandchildren - are born in Australia (or anywhere outside
the UK) they will not automatically be British citizens. Under the current law such
children normally have to be registered as British before their first birthday.

British citizenship law is quite complex. I've put together some notes on the concept
of being British by descent and the consequences it can have at:
http://australianz.topcities.com/bri...tizenship8.htm

Regards

Jeremy

>On 10 Jul 2002 13:20:35 GMT, Finch <[email protected]> wrote: Lisa
    >
    >My wife and I emigrated to Perth in 1988, when we were in our mid twenties. Our
    >first boy was born out there and we got homesick missing our friends and family and
    >wanting them to share our offspring. We decided to return after 2 and half years,
    >didn't take out citizenship as we didn't want to go back. Now, 12 years on things
    >have changed, can't really put a finger on it, but feel we wanted a change, i'm 40
    >(my wife is 39) this year, half way through our working lives and know if we don't
    >make a change now, thats us till I retire. Also the kids are at the right age (12, 8
    >and 6) a few years further on we would be into exams and stuff for our eldest. We
    >feel pretty lucky to have another chance through the skilled route (went skilled
    >before also). Just wished we'd taken citizenship before, would have made it a whole
    >lot easier this time.
    >
    >We rented out our house in the UK whilst in Oz so we had that fallback. Personally,
    >if you can, I would take the advice here and get yourself out there for a couple of
    >years, get cititzenship and then your pretty to do what you want.
    >
    >I would have kicked myself big time if I had failed to get out again now. Best
    >wishes and luck with whatever you decide.
    >
    >Finch
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >lizzie
    >
    >Yvonne
    >
    >lizzie
    >
    >lizzie
    >
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 11th 2002, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Decided not to go to Aus in the end

Lisa, I admire your honesty. How sensible to go out here first. Family and friends can mean more than any amount of sun, (which you will soon get sick of), and as for the big house, what is the point if it is empty of those you love. Some of us may come from family backgrounds that we can easily say goodbye too. Others, (loosing the grandkids nearly broke my mum) value family far more. As the mum of two little girls who never ever saw a grandparent or aunty or uncle I probably know what you mean. Dont regret what was not for you , lap up every minute of the family and friends you have, and admire yourself for such an open caring heart.