Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is this a decent salary for Perth prices?

Is this a decent salary for Perth prices?

Old Aug 25th 2013, 10:08 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this a decent salary for Perth prices?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I don't think anyone's asking for details of the job, just commenting on the salary in relation to the going rate for teachers
Exactly. No one is asking for any details. The initial post says "teaching job" and a salary of $130,000, which obviously didn't compute to many of us who know the sector.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 10:50 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wasps1976
Thanks all. I can easily get references for the dogs, but I am very concerned about the risk of not finding a property that would take three dogs. Does anyone know of any suburbs that do?
Also with regard to my salary, it is not obviously just a teaching role. But I don't think it's appropriate for me to discuss the details etc.
Finding a property that will accept 'any' dog, let alone 3 x dogs will be depending on the landlords rules, in any property in any suburb.

I would suggest getting on www.realestate.com or www.reiwa.com and ringing as many rental agents as possible (within your price range) and ask the question. If the response from many is NO, then you may have to rethink your plans.

Good luck.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 11:18 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
As everyone has suggested you may well get a permit to keep 3 dogs but you will struggle to get a rental with them.

As for locations to live you could look at Subiaco, Leederville, Cottesloe, Scarborough. Not that far to go to Peppy Grove.

Good luck with your interview.
Also the OP should consider the "strata factor" as well if renting any kind of unit, etc. Although I presume anyone earning 130k won't be in a unit.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Finding a property that will accept 'any' dog, let alone 3 x dogs will be depending on the landlords rules, in any property in any suburb.

I would suggest getting on www.realestate.com or www.reiwa.com and ringing as many rental agents as possible (within your price range) and ask the question. If the response from many is NO, then you may have to rethink your plans.

Good luck.
Waste of time IMO. No agents will say Yes or even maybe because having 3 dogs is against the law...it is a chicken and egg scenario...
Old Aug 27th 2013, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Exactly. No one is asking for any details. The initial post says "teaching job" and a salary of $130,000, which obviously didn't compute to many of us who know the sector.
Senior academics in universities get more than that.... And all they are doing is a bit of teaching innit.

It doesn't state "school"teaching

Not a very friendly welcome wagon is it
Old Aug 27th 2013, 10:36 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by eddie007
Senior academics in universities get more than that.... And all they are doing is a bit of teaching innit.

Having worked as a professional academic for many years, I would never describe it as a "teaching job", and neither would any of my colleagues. Certainly I agree with the statement about wages. I know a senior academic here in Australia earning over $500,000 per year. He wouldn't describe his career as a "teaching job" either.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Having worked as a professional academic for many years, I would never describe it as a "teaching job", and neither would any of my colleagues. Certainly I agree with the statement about wages. I know a senior academic here in Australia earning over $500,000 per year. He wouldn't describe his career as a "teaching job" either.
PMSL that people can be so far up there own arses...

My Head of department, (I work for a large WA University), an eminent Professor... does "a bit of teaching" as he puts it.

Gawd love him, he is a darling!
Old Aug 28th 2013, 9:47 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Who was being unfriendly?
Old Aug 28th 2013, 10:00 am
Banned

PMSL that people can be so far up there own arses...

My Head of department, (I work for a large WA University), an eminent Professor... does "a bit of teaching" as he puts it.

Gawd love him, he is a darling!
I mean I would describe it as a research job, or lecturer. If you work in the sector then you would be familiar with those terms. You have an aggression problem, I think.

In edit, I do hope you're not faculty with spelling like that.

Last edited by Zen10; Aug 28th 2013 at 10:03 am.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 10:01 am
Banned

Who was being unfriendly?
The poster who said that has a problem with me. It's personal and you shouldn't worry about it!

Last edited by Zen10; Aug 28th 2013 at 10:06 am.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 10:35 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

The poster who said that has a problem with me. It's personal and you shouldn't worry about it!
Ok then, I won't

I really feel for the OP, I wouldn't leave my dog behind either. What a terrible disappointment to have the chance of a great job and not be able to take it

I love catching buses in the UK, when someone gets on with their little dog. Unheard of here (Perth) unless it's a guide/assistance dog.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 11:01 am
Banned

Ok then, I won't

I really feel for the OP, I wouldn't leave my dog behind either. What a terrible disappointment to have the chance of a great job and not be able to take it

I love catching buses in the UK, when someone gets on with their little dog. Unheard of here (Perth) unless it's a guide/assistance dog.
It's interesting because dogs are one of those things where there seems to be a real culture shock between UK and Aus. They are treated very differently here IMO.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I mean I would describe it as a research job, or lecturer. If you work in the sector then you would be familiar with those terms. You have an aggression problem, I think.

In edit, I do hope you're not faculty with spelling like that.
No, I have a "sense of the ridiculous" problem... But would rather have that than paranoia
Old Aug 28th 2013, 12:16 pm
Concierge

It's interesting because dogs are one of those things where there seems to be a real culture shock between UK and Aus. They are treated very differently here IMO.
You're right Zen, they are and not for the better in my view. We've been to loads of small hotels in the UK where small pets are welcome, imagine rocking up to a hotel here with Fido in tow. They'd call out the SWAT team!
Old Aug 28th 2013, 10:29 pm
Banned

You're right Zen, they are and not for the better in my view. We've been to loads of small hotels in the UK where small pets are welcome, imagine rocking up to a hotel here with Fido in tow. They'd call out the SWAT team!
Oh definitely not for the better. Just last night for example, I was woken up at two in the morning by the dog that barks pretty much all year round over the back fence and that I am basically obliged to listen to by law. I have tested this with the council at length and they have admitted they have no power to stop it barking. The problem is that Australians leave their dogs outside all year long, night and day, so the barking issue is a problem. They also have pretty poor control over their dogs on the beach as well, which is another thing that annoys me. In a nutshell, I never had any real problems with dogs in the UK, but here I do and it's just a cultural difference I won't get used to. The way they look at you when you suggest they keep their dogs indoors is pretty funny too. It's like you've asked if you can take a **** on their coffee table, if you excuse the imagery.

Last edited by Zen10; Aug 28th 2013 at 10:31 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.