Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Decent Doner Kebab in Perth

Decent Doner Kebab in Perth

Old Aug 25th 2008, 4:35 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of
Default Decent Doner Kebab in Perth

Where oh where can I get a good Doner Kebab like the ones from the vans in England?

Ive been hunting - Northbridge, City, Hillarys, general malls and they all are in some awful flat "wrap" like a fajhita and not in a open pita! Its awful when they do that - its so compressed and is just not the same. And the chilli sauce is just simply wrong.

Anyone know of a decent place in WA even that is just like my English?

(p.s my favourite van was parked on the Shinfield Road, Witley in Reading Berks, near the pizza hut)....
Old Aug 25th 2008, 4:52 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decent Doner Kebab in Perth

Originally Posted by mark213
Where oh where can I get a good Doner Kebab like the ones from the vans in England?

Ive been hunting - Northbridge, City, Hillarys, general malls and they all are in some awful flat "wrap" like a fajhita and not in a open pita! Its awful when they do that - its so compressed and is just not the same. And the chilli sauce is just simply wrong.

(p.s my favourite van was parked on the Shinfield Road, Witley in Reading Berks, near the pizza hut)....
This is a classic oxymoron, surely?
Old Aug 25th 2008, 5:06 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Absolutely
Old Aug 25th 2008, 5:47 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
My thoughts exactly !

Every time there is one of those food hygiene programmes on TV, they visit a Doner Kebab shop. The hygiene is always terrible and the when they test the meat it's always uncooked in the middle.

As for buying it from a van .... [shudder]:"Would you like a medium or large dose of botulism with that?"

Gina
Old Aug 25th 2008, 5:48 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
My thoughts exactly !

Every time there is one of those food hygiene programmes on TV, they visit a Doner Kebab shop. The hygiene is always terrible and the when they test the meat it's always uncooked in the middle.

As for buying it from a van .... [shudder]:"Would you like a medium or large dose of botulism with that?"

Gina
perhaps some e-coli on the side
Old Aug 25th 2008, 5:53 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Small world...

I went to the Uni. of Reading and the van you mention was our point of pilgrimage every Friday night, after an alcohol-poisoning-inducing session at 'the Nob'.

It was the van parked in the lay-by, just outside the main gates right?

BTW, the kebabs here are much, much better than the crap they served up back in the UK though!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Best kebab I have EVER had in Perth - there is a little lebanese restaurant on Barrack St between Murray St and Wellington St. It looks like it's not been painted in 40 years and comes complete with plastic tablecloths and arabic music but I can guarantee you the food is wonderful; good quality halal lamb and chicken. It's called 'Levant Cusine' and is at 139 Barrack St. And at lunchtime it always seems to be full of coppers [eating that is, not raiding it].

I don't know if its open late at night though - I've only been there during the day
Old Aug 25th 2008, 6:08 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Close, it was the one further up the hill about another mile or so out of Reading... But I know the one by the gates and wasnt impressed.

They were by far the best ive had actually - and the guys were clean and friendly actually.

I stilll prefer the open uk version - the ones here seem too classy for whats basically a drunken night hangover cure.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 6:12 am
Back to WA! Yay!

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Best kebab I have EVER had in Perth - there is a little lebanese restaurant on Barrack St between Murray St and Wellington St. It looks like it's not been painted in 40 years and comes complete with plastic tablecloths and arabic music but I can guarantee you the food is wonderful; good quality halal lamb and chicken. It's called 'Levant Cusine' and is at 139 Barrack St. And at lunchtime it always seems to be full of coppers [eating that is, not raiding it].

I don't know if its open late at night though - I've only been there during the day
Thanks Hoofie - I know it - not far from my work - but never tried as it looked scary..... Its on the list for my Kebabathon now.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 6:58 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I've given up trying to find a decent kebab in Brisbane the ones on offer here are positively healthy which is so WRONG!
Give me a dirty big lamb sandwich covered in garlic mayo and chilli sauce served in either naan or pitta any day of the week.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 8:41 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

..[/QUOTE]

Does that Carillion underground food court in the city centre do em ?

Hmmm

Davo
Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Does Plaka still exist?

There's a fish'n'chip shop come kebab shop on the corner of south terrace and canning highway in como that's supposed to be okay. My sister-in-law had one of their kebabs at my place last week and it looked pretty nice.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:12 am
Back to WA! Yay!

Originally Posted by mindblower
Does that Carillion underground food court in the city centre do em ?

Hmmm

Davo[/QUOTE]

No good Davo - been there done that - usual aussie type
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:36 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Ararat at the Broadway in Nedlands is good.

Kebabistan was good 'till the proprietor killed his wife:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...30/2150520.htm
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:38 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Did you ever go to the van in Thatcham ? I remember the extra large being the size of a whole sheep.
Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Small world...

I went to the Uni. of Reading and the van you mention was our point of pilgrimage every Friday night, after an alcohol-poisoning-inducing session at 'the Nob'.

BTW, the kebabs here are much, much better than the crap they served up back in the UK though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.