debt in uk

Old Oct 29th 2006, 6:38 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: debt in uk

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
Yes, Well Said Bob!

....if you don't get your tongue out of your cheek...you will stay like that.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 6:42 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celine_uk
im in canada and when i left england 4 years ago i had credit card debt from my student years, it took me 4 years to pay it off but i did right down to the last penny. I sent a bankers draft in pounds back to my english bank account every month and pay it off as quickly as possible, i had 3 cards and moved to money around to lower the interest rate every 6 months etc.

I still have credit cards but i make the credit card companies work for me, they make me money, i.e points etc and not the other way round.

be careful mate, friends of mine here left 1000s in debt back in the UK and 3 years later had a Canadian Collections agency calling them asking them to pay back what they borrowed in the UK (with ALOT of interest)

my advice to you mate, dont leave debt in the UK, they'll find you and you'll never learn, and you'll just do it again in ur new country and who knows you might move to back to england.

good luck
Canada has an agreement with the UK that makes it much easier to chase debtors down... I believe Australia does not have that agreement at the moment...
Old Oct 29th 2006, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodders39
Canada has an agreement with the UK that makes it much easier to chase debtors down... I believe Australia does not have that agreement at the moment...
The oz government are looking at putting it put into place and should be in for 2008. But some companies use international debt collection agencies.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 6:50 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

Funny! thats how the missus looks, now i know

Originally Posted by busterboy
....if you don't get your tongue out of your cheek...you will stay like that.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:08 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
The oz government are looking at putting it put into place and should be in for 2008. But some companies use international debt collection agencies.
The window's closing then...

It's my understanding that civil judgements in the UK are virtually unenforceable abroad except where agreements covering this exist. For an international debt collection agency to be able to work surely it would involve the UK creditor selling their debt to them and them being based in the country of current residence of the debtor. Certainly worthwhile for very large sums...

I wonder if we have a lawyer in the forum who could give us a definitive answer...?
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

The window's closing then...

It's my understanding that civil judgements in the UK are virtually unenforceable abroad except where agreements covering this exist. For an international debt collection agency to be able to work surely it would involve the UK creditor selling their debt to them and them being based in the country of current residence of the debtor. Certainly worthwhile for very large sums...

I wonder if we have a lawyer in the forum who could give us a definitive answer...?
Rodders, I am in the business and what you have said is exactly what happens.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:16 am
Timelord

Rodders, I am in the business and what you have said is exactly what happens.
Ooer...

Then there's the $64k question for some people...

:scared:
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Ooer...

Then there's the $64k question for some people...

:scared:
LOL. People go on about companys not being able to chase, our company is an international one and defaults are registered early on which affects the UK credit file only. It doesnt have an impact on them in the country they are going to but its up to the company to collect the monies in.

I am preparing for the Boo's now. LOL.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:20 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Oh someone elses fault as usual... they forced me to have the credit cards.. I need sky tv.. oh if they put fags up again it'll be the death of me... you can't watch a 28' tv these days....

If you can't cover debts, don't have them. Who do you thinks pays for the non-payers, the uninsured car crashes etc
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Not another thread on can I leave the UK without paying my debts, about as frequent as the can I claim centerlink benefits and still get UK benefits threads.

Time for Australia to get a bit more select on who it lets in
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:28 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by datamile
Oh someone elses fault as usual... they forced me to have the credit cards.. I need sky tv.. oh if they put fags up again it'll be the death of me... you can't watch a 28' tv these days....

If you can't cover debts, don't have them. Who do you thinks pays for the non-payers, the uninsured car crashes etc

...but I need that BMW convertible, it goes with my image...blah, blah
Sucker born every minute...show me a poor ad-man
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:29 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by datamile

If your parents own a house in the UK, and you are listed as one of the heirs, your creditors will be standing in line when you get ready to sell it. Your siblings won't be able to sell it either, with liens on it. It will be held in limbo until you can pay the debt off.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

...but I need that BMW convertible, it goes with my image...blah, blah
Sucker born every minute...show me a poor ad-man
could you just leave it on my drive so i can use it for free??? no charge.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:31 am
A rather curious boy

could you just leave it on my drive so i can use it for free??? no charge.
Yes, I'll make sure my stuffed wallet is in the glove box for you too! How do you like your readies in £10 or £20s?
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, I'll make sure my stuffed wallet is in the glove box for you too! How do you like your readies in £10 or £20s?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.