debt in uk

Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: debt in uk

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I think that the only way you could do this is by applying for personal bankruptcy that way they have to accept a settlement, otherwise I'm pretty sure that their attitude is, " you spent it, you pay it"
From what i understand if there hasn't been a court case or judgement against you they will find it hard to recoup their money from OZ, if however there has been then they have the right to pursue it anywhere.

Just to note, if its the credit card company then they are bound to have either partners in OZ or are trading out there, in which case, the second you apply for a mortgage, or even a phone they will know!

Another note about the personal bankruptcy is that while it only lasts a very short time the myth that your clear after it is just that, a myth. They may well keep coming after you 'till they get whats owed. I stress the word MAY.
With Bankruptcy it depends if all the creditors agree on the offers made. The applications dont always come off. Sorry this was from the beginning of the thread, just picked it up.

Last edited by CathnPaul; Oct 28th 2006 at 7:12 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

marcbolam is a jewel in the roughmarcbolam is a jewel in the roughmarcbolam is a jewel in the roughmarcbolam is a jewel in the roughmarcbolam is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
With Bankruptcy it depends if all the creditors agree on the offers made. They applications dont always come off. Sorry this was from the beginning of the thread and just picked it up.
To the leavers of debt - please wake up and smell the coffee - get your debt paid before you leave the UK - or if you dont, stay away once you go, we dont want your type here.

Or do you not have a thought for the people that you leave behind - rellies, friends and the like? we have to mop up your selfish acts by absorbing higher taxes to cover your deceit !!!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcbolam
To the leavers of debt - please wake up and smell the coffee - get your debt paid before you leave the UK - or if you dont, stay away once you go, we dont want your type here.

Or do you not have a thought for the people that you leave behind - rellies, friends and the like? we have to mop up your selfish acts by absorbing higher taxes to cover your deceit !!!
are you aiming that at my reply, marcbolam?????
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

marcbolam is a jewel in the roughmarcbolam is a jewel in the roughmarcbolam is a jewel in the roughmarcbolam is a jewel in the roughmarcbolam is a jewel in the rough

are you aiming that at my reply, marcbolam?????
No, as addressed in the thread - To all leavers of debt.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:18 pm
ANNE&JAY

ANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Has anyone had any experience coming to a settlement figure on credit card debt.for example if i owe £10,000 would they except a 'take it or leave it' settlement of £5,000 ?Would this have any effect on your credit rating in here or in Aus ?
Any info greatly appreciated
lee
Hi Lee, You could make them an offer dependent on what items you actually bought and what amounts to the interest that has occured due to not clearing initial debt. Just an idea!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:19 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

After 3 everyone.......breath in with Love .....out with Hate.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:33 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

With Bankruptcy it depends if all the creditors agree on the offers made. The applications dont always come off. Sorry this was from the beginning of the thread, just picked it up.

Thats ok. I only have a "bit" of a handle on this because a very close friend got into a massive amount of debt and she just couldn't tell her folks, couldn't tell her OH and came to me for help, we both went to the CAB and i helped her through it. Luckily she received a settlement from nearly everyone, one credit company did tell her that she may have to face them when she is out of it but she is a lot more optimistic now.

And to the person who posted that you dont want their sort in the UK get a grip!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thats ok. I only have a "bit" of a handle on this because a very close friend got into a massive amount of debt and she just couldn't tell her folks, couldn't tell her OH and came to me for help, we both went to the CAB and i helped her through it. Luckily she received a settlement from nearly everyone, one credit company did tell her that she may have to face them when she is out of it but she is a lot more optimistic now.

And to the person who posted that you dont want their sort in the UK get a grip!
I wouldnt promote CAB to be honest, they are ok but there are other management free companies who can get stuff in place a lot quicker than CAB can. The free companies are also available 8am - 6pm 6days a week, whereas it can be a nightmare even getting an appointment with them.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:42 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt promote CAB, there are other management free companies who can get stuff in place a lot quicker than CAB can. The free companies are also available 8am - 6pm 6days a week, whereas it can be a nightmare even getting an appointment with them.

Yeah been told that a couple of times funnily enough.

It has all been sorted now so all cool, she has very little time to run on her PB and she has used the time wisely and worked her arse off, she is now in a position to pay whats owed if the other company come after her for more.

This is why i have never had a credit card and refuse any that land on the door mat.

Never a borrower nor lender be!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:44 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a great piece of advice mate,unfortunately its bloody hard to save up enough money to buy a house even where i live !!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:48 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Thats a great piece of advice mate,unfortunately its bloody hard to save up enough money to buy a house even where i live !!

And its no coincidence that i rent! Try saving when nearly a thousand quid goes out in dead money!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah been told that a couple of times funnily enough.

It has all been sorted now so all cool, she has very little time to run on her PB and she has used the time wisely and worked her arse off, she is now in a position to pay whats owed if the other company come after her for more.

This is why i have never had a credit card and refuse any that land on the door mat.

Unfortunately I had to borrow - I needed a mortgage. lol!! but its all paid off now and clear. One thing from around our necks thankfully. Just not sure if we want to sell up or rent it out when we move to oz. The decision will be made by xmas I think anyway.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:54 pm
Straw Man.

Unfortunately I had to borrow - I needed a mortgage. lol!! but its all paid off now and clear. One thing from around our necks thankfully. Just not sure if we want to sell up or rent it out when we move to oz. The decision will be made by xmas I think anyway.

Before i get jumped on by the hordes i have to say i dont have a judgement on people who do borrow! If i did my friend would never have come to me for help advice and a shoulder to lean on, its just not for me, thats all.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Before i get jumped on by the hordes i have to say i dont have a judgement on people who do borrow! If i did my friend would never have come to me for help advice and a shoulder to lean on, its just not for me, thats all.
no I agree, you sound a good friend and someone she/he will be greatful to be able to turn to. you are entitled to your opinion x
Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:04 pm
Straw Man.

no I agree, you sound a good friend and someone she/he will be greatful to be able to turn to. you are entitled to your opinion x

The irony of it is that while she has been busy beavering away to earn money an aunt of hers died and left her a bloody house in Guildford! Now she is minted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.