Debt in oz

Old Feb 5th 2015, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough
Default Debt in oz

I lived in oz for over 7 years. My now x oz husband had me have debt in my name. I'm wanting to move back to oz, but I know due to my x husband making me do this, problems will arise. This was a forced situation, as his view on marriage was adultery...
Please help, he was an evil man & it took me all my strength to eventually leave him & return to the UK. Thank you for any response x
Old Feb 5th 2015, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Debt in oz

What is your immigration status?
Old Feb 5th 2015, 2:43 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on how much and to whom you owe money you could get a default on your credit file in Australia - and possibly even be chased for the money in the UK if it's a substantial amount.

Debt can be pursued under Foreign Judgements Regulations & the UK is a signatory at 27:

FOREIGN JUDGMENTS REGULATIONS 1992 - SCHEDULE Superior Courts

Although I'm not sure if it applies to consumer debts and it is expensive and complex to pursue so if you owe a small amount I doubt they'd bother.

Unfortunately, even though your ex-husband may have used the money if it is in your name you are responsible for it unless he legally takes it on or transfers money to settle the debt.

I really feel for you. If you contact the companies that you owe money to you may be able to come to a payment arrangement of a few $$ per month over a few years.

Best of luck.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your replies.
I've got Australian citizenship.
I've been back in the UK nearly 4 years.
It's a bank that's due the money.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute

A similar thing happened to me in the States. It was a stressful time starting out on my own after separation with a big pile of debt but I quickly contacted the creditors, turned everything into legal debts and gradually paid them off. The creditors would often settle on a lesser amount just to get shot of the debt. Within a few years I had rebuilt my credit and was even able to obtain a mortgage which I felt was quite an achievement.

If your dream is to get back to Australia then you shouldn't let a bit of debt stand in your way (bearing in mind that I know nothing of your situation of course)

Good luck!
Old Feb 5th 2015, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by kimandken
I lived in oz for over 7 years. My now x oz husband had me have debt in my name. I'm wanting to move back to oz, but I know due to my x husband making me do this, problems will arise. This was a forced situation, as his view on marriage was adultery...
Please help, he was an evil man & it took me all my strength to eventually leave him & return to the UK. Thank you for any response x
You need to get a copy of your credit file and see what's in it. These would be defaults and clear after some time, if we are talking 7 years (could be 5) the defaults would be clear now. Check out Veda.com.au for your free credit file.