Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Debating the big move

Debating the big move

Old Mar 26th 2018, 12:42 am
Just Joined

Bertie22991 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Debating the big move

Hi guys obviously here as I'm debating the big move but don't really know anyone who's done it.
So a few questions.
First thing I'm only 26 so I am eligible for a working holiday visa amd debating to go that route first to see if I like the lifestyle, fingers crossed I do, has anyone gone this route and switched from working holiday to resident.
2. I'm a welder fabricator 7 years of experience where is best to look work as in area. Western Australia, NSW, Queensland or anywhere else that comes to mind.
3. I've heard that quite a few of our colonial cousins don't like us? Is this True
4. General quality of living? Buying cars/motorbikes? Renting houses? Phones? Tv? How hard is it sort these things out.
Sorry about the long list but would rather hit the ground running that not know what I'm doing when I get there.
Cheers Bert
Old Mar 26th 2018, 1:10 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Debating the big move

3, and some of the poms already here dont like us either
Old Mar 26th 2018, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure like or dislike come into it. Perth is pretty much Poms Galore and trades are heavily represented. I do know of many that prefer to work 'in house' meaning with other Poms, but plenty others not concerned.

Is welding still in demand? Probably more the issue.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

#3 is not true. Or, at least the number is so tiny it's easy enough to avoid.

As Troubadour says the key point will be if welding is still in demand.

A WHV is a good plan as it will allow you to tour the country, speaking to businesses about that while also allowing you to potentially show off your skills in a try-out. Then when you do get PR you have a list of contacts you can get back in touch with.

General quality of living. Depends on what you like and your requirements. Your experiences on WHV will help you suss that out.