Dear Dad

Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dear Dad

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Now I am really nervous.

I have sent a modified version of my letter to a magazine.

The editor is reading it now.

There is no going back now. If its published, Dad will read it.

Someone tell me I have done the right thing.
youve done the right thing! he will treasure it

Trish
x
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:09 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

You've deffo done the right thing. Go Girl!
Old Feb 9th 2005, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of

Just read your thread Samantha and yes you have reduced me to tears as well. Definitely what I have been thinking about my mum and dad since deciding to emmigrate. They both are looking older now and I keep thinking who will be there to look after them when they are too old to do so for themselves. This is definitely the hardest aspect of moving to Australia leaving your parents... I know people say its not goodbye but realistically they might get over to see us maybe once or twice before they get too old and I doubt we will ever get back to England if we go to Australia. But as every says you have to start living for yourself and your family. Anyway best of luck for the future and you know what, why don't you print your thread and give it to your dad, I'm sure you will get the response that you have always wanted. Do It now rather than have many regrets later on in life when its too late.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 6:10 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by joanneS
Just read your thread Samantha and yes you have reduced me to tears as well. Definitely what I have been thinking about my mum and dad since deciding to emmigrate. They both are looking older now and I keep thinking who will be there to look after them when they are too old to do so for themselves. This is definitely the hardest aspect of moving to Australia leaving your parents... I know people say its not goodbye but realistically they might get over to see us maybe once or twice before they get too old and I doubt we will ever get back to England if we go to Australia. But as every says you have to start living for yourself and your family. Anyway best of luck for the future and you know what, why don't you print your thread and give it to your dad, I'm sure you will get the response that you have always wanted. Do It now rather than have many regrets later on in life when its too late.

I have modified it and sent it to a magazine. They will contact me tomorrow to let me know if they will print it.

Now Im scared. Instead of Dad knowing, the whole UK will know. :scared:

All my family buy this magazine too.

Old Feb 9th 2005, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

I have modified it and sent it to a magazine. They will contact me tomorrow to let me know if they will print it.

Now Im scared. Instead of Dad knowing, the whole UK will know. :scared:

All my family buy this magazine too.

Sam - what a wonderful, brave and strong woman you are, to be able to write down your personal feelings so eloquently. You are a very talented writer and hope you do well with this story.

Your story has moved me to tears, so I'm trying to write this message and wipe away tears at the same time......

Although my husband/my parents are in the same country as us, they are across the country and getting older.....every year when we go back we see little subtle changes in each of them as you described.....and it's difficult as you really expect your parents to be indispensable.....

I love you Sam for the person you are......continue to always be the same strong and brave woman whose willing to face any obstacle head on and work through it, no matter how insignificant.....
Old Feb 10th 2005, 8:11 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by willmore
Sam - what a wonderful, brave and strong woman you are, to be able to write down your personal feelings so eloquently. You are a very talented writer and hope you do well with this story.

Your story has moved me to tears, so I'm trying to write this message and wipe away tears at the same time......

Although my husband/my parents are in the same country as us, they are across the country and getting older.....every year when we go back we see little subtle changes in each of them as you described.....and it's difficult as you really expect your parents to be indispensable.....

I love you Sam for the person you are......continue to always be the same strong and brave woman whose willing to face any obstacle head on and work through it, no matter how insignificant.....
Thank you for your nice comments.

I shall hear from the editor today if they are going to publish it.

I suddenly feel very vulnerable as if Im exposing myself. I know its emotions that I should tell my Dad, but its like, the whole family will read it and it scares the hell out of me for some reason.

Its different posting on here.

Oh well, I let you know what they say.

Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of

Hi Sam, thanks for your email, you go girl, show the world what you are about. You have definitely hit a note on what everyone everywhere is thinking (and now talking about)!
Good luck and let me know how you get on at the editors.
Joanne
Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:44 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Never mind the letter getting published, when is the first book coming out Sam?

I'm sure theres a heap of talent there & I'd love to read the first book.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

STUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant future

Hi All
Just like to say that i've foreword this whole thread onto my Dads computer by e-mail, like all of you this has been my thoughts and feelings too,
asked Mum if they got my e-mail and she said yes and said Dad said " do you think she is trying to tell us something ".
so i'd like to thank you all for your posts especially professional princess for making it easy for me to show my parents my feelings without even having to say a word.
THANX
Donna X
Old Feb 10th 2005, 8:34 pm
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

OMG, this is my first post on this site and this thread has made me cry, along with half the country by the sounds of it!

My parents divorced when I was four, so only spent summer holidays with my Dad. Im now married with two kids, who he absolutely adores. I havent told him our plans to emigrate, but my darling sister has. Bless her, NOT!! My step-mum was a £10 pom and says we wont like it, its not what it used to be etc, etc etc. So my Dad is against the idea, before Ive even told him. Now its making it very hard to tell him something he already knows. Ive decided to phone tell him, I cant tell him to his face, incase he cries, I just dont think I could bear that.

I never say to him I love You, because Im sure he would make a comment like "are you feeling well" or something similiar. In some ways I wish I could, I say it to my Mum all the time without even a second thought.

You've given me some dutch courage to tell my Dad, ASAP, then he's got time to get used to the idea.

Wish me luck.

Jo
Old Feb 11th 2005, 7:41 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by Joanne
OMG, this is my first post on this site and this thread has made me cry, along with half the country by the sounds of it!

My parents divorced when I was four, so only spent summer holidays with my Dad. Im now married with two kids, who he absolutely adores. I havent told him our plans to emigrate, but my darling sister has. Bless her, NOT!! My step-mum was a £10 pom and says we wont like it, its not what it used to be etc, etc etc. So my Dad is against the idea, before Ive even told him. Now its making it very hard to tell him something he already knows. Ive decided to phone tell him, I cant tell him to his face, incase he cries, I just dont think I could bear that.

I never say to him I love You, because Im sure he would make a comment like "are you feeling well" or something similiar. In some ways I wish I could, I say it to my Mum all the time without even a second thought.

You've given me some dutch courage to tell my Dad, ASAP, then he's got time to get used to the idea.

Wish me luck.

Jo
Good luck Jo.

Love Sam

Old Feb 14th 2005, 1:57 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I was at my parent's this weekend dropping my daughter off for half-term week. I installed an internet short cut on to their desktop for them linking to my new weblog (see another thread). The main purpose will be to keep in touch / show photos once we get out there. But while it doesn't go into anything soppy (yet at least) I have at least tried to explain a bit about why we are doing this and restating that leaving behind family is so hard to do. As I make future entries I will make reference of how much their support has meant to me etc etc.

So for those of us not as talented (or brave) as Sam maybe this sort of thing is an option?
Old Feb 14th 2005, 3:02 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by worzel
I was at my parent's this weekend dropping my daughter off for half-term week. I installed an internet short cut on to their desktop for them linking to my new weblog (see another thread). The main purpose will be to keep in touch / show photos once we get out there. But while it doesn't go into anything soppy (yet at least) I have at least tried to explain a bit about why we are doing this and restating that leaving behind family is so hard to do. As I make future entries I will make reference of how much their support has meant to me etc etc.

So for those of us not as talented (or brave) as Sam maybe this sort of thing is an option?

I dont know whether to be relieved or what, but the magazine said 'they couldnt use my story' suppose it wasnt juicey enough.

I shall try another. Someone will publish my letter to Dad.

Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:30 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

I dont know whether to be relieved or what, but the magazine said 'they couldnt use my story' suppose it wasnt juicey enough.

I shall try another. Someone will publish my letter to Dad.
Hi PP,

Sorry to hear about your letter. You may want to start with Australian News. It isn't mainstream, but I'm sure they will be interested - [email protected].

I sent something into them and they featured it in the December issue, I think they're always on the look out for new people to feature, etc.

Best of luck,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Dear Dad-article2.jpg  
Old Feb 15th 2005, 9:56 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Hi PP,

Sorry to hear about your letter. You may want to start with Australian News. It isn't mainstream, but I'm sure they will be interested - [email protected].

I sent something into them and they featured it in the December issue, I think they're always on the look out for new people to feature, etc.

Best of luck,

Rob

Is that you in the article Rob?

Come on spill the beans!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.