Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Daylight saving starts tonight...

Daylight saving starts tonight...

Old Oct 3rd 2010, 12:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daylight saving starts tonight...

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I wish we had it and to be honest the old excuses of 'the kids wont sleep at night' or 'the curtains fade' or 'the cows wont milk' seem a tad feeble to me. Really, tell your kids to sleep FFS, buy curtains that wont fade and as for cows not milking, what a crock of shite.

I miss late summer evenings when it was daylight for ages, now its 4.30am daylight, well I hope your shitting stupid kids get you up at dawns crack.

Please tell me that they were not the REAL reasons that this vote was based on?
Well there's a couple you've forgotten, an extra hour of daylight stops chickens laying eggs, gives everyone skin cancer (that was from a Qld politician), allows locusts extrs time to breed, and affects the lifecycle of lobsters. Oh and of course some people said they wanted their wags adjusted as they would be working a longer day if it had an extra hour in it all through the summer..........
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 12:34 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Well there's a couple you've forgotten, an extra hour of daylight stops chickens laying eggs, gives everyone skin cancer (that was from a Qld politician), allows locusts extrs time to breed, and affects the lifecycle of lobsters. Oh and of course some people said they wanted their wags adjusted as they would be working a longer day if it had an extra hour in it all through the summer..........
Sweet child of mine, do they really honestly and truly believe that? If they do then I must doubt their sanity, in fact I suggest they be questioned, tortured and made to listen to Celine Dion for 3 hours.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 12:48 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet child of mine, do they really honestly and truly believe that? If they do then I must doubt their sanity, in fact I suggest they be questioned, tortured and made to listen to Celine Dion for 3 hours.
Yep, I know personally people who believe there is no milk for several days until the cows get used to the clock change, and the whole thing about needing more pay because the working day is longer in summer.
The skin cancer thing was big news in Qld last year when a politician used it as a major reason not to change - said the extra hour of sunlight would increase cancer rates and kill us all quicker.
Someone this week asked me how did we persuade children to go to bed back in the UK when it stays light so late. I said I didn't know, I just grew up with it, you get used to going to bed in daylight.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:53 pm
ABCDiamond

I wish we had it and to be honest the old excuses of 'the kids wont sleep at night' or 'the curtains fade' or 'the cows wont milk' seem a tad feeble to me. Really, tell your kids to sleep FFS, buy curtains that wont fade and as for cows not milking, what a crock of shite.

I miss late summer evenings when it was daylight for ages, now its 4.30am daylight, well I hope your shitting stupid kids get you up at dawns crack.

Please tell me that they were not the REAL reasons that this vote was based on?
If you were in North QLD, and had daylight saving, it would still be dark at 7am for 3 months of the year.

They are used to bright mornings, and don't want to change.

They only way that QLD could get Daylight Saving is if we did a split state, as the majority in the South East of Qld do actually want it.

But overall, for the entire state, the numbers say no.

Those reasons you mentioned, that are ridiculous, are normally thrown up by the Daylight saving groups to try to stir up feelings, but I think it tends to backfire a bit.

Old Oct 3rd 2010, 2:29 pm

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

No savings in W.A - numpties
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 6:36 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If you were in North QLD, and had daylight saving, it would still be dark at 7am for 3 months of the year.

They are used to bright mornings, and don't want to change.

They only way that QLD could get Daylight Saving is if we did a split state, as the majority in the South East of Qld do actually want it.

But overall, for the entire state, the numbers say no.

Those reasons you mentioned, that are ridiculous, are normally thrown up by the Daylight saving groups to try to stir up feelings, but I think it tends to backfire a bit.
Yeah, they are all trotted out regularly, but I have actually had conversations with people about the cows, the chickens, the extra hour causing cancer AND being paid extra for working a longer day for half the year. Not just someone talking it up for the media, but normal everyday conversations with people who really believe this stuff
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 10:14 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yeah, they are all trotted out regularly, but I have actually had conversations with people about the cows, the chickens, the extra hour causing cancer AND being paid extra for working a longer day for half the year. Not just someone talking it up for the media, but normal everyday conversations with people who really believe this stuff
Well obviously the cows and chickesn stuff is crap - but theres some limited justification for the cancer argument.

If you have more exposure to light it follows logically that your have more exposure to UV. Now I've read studies that suggest that the 1 hour shift is actually fairly insignificant - but I an still understand the reluctance to have kids walking hom from school at what is currently known as '2pm' - i.e. hottest, brightest, strongest part of therather than '3pm' which one would have thought is 'slightly' less intense. (The study I read suggested that although there is a significant difference in UV exposure between 2pm and 3pm the majority of that can be offset by the difference between 8am and 7am. So if your kids walk both ways the effect is nearly neutral. If however, you drop them off at the school gates in the morning and let them walk home after school then DST WOULD expose your kids to more UV.

The other classic argument thats usually trotted out by the DST brigade as an example of dud logic (but I've never heard used seriously) is the old fading curtains.

Getting curtains that dont fade is nigh on impossible - UV in this part of the world is strong and any fabric exposed to it regularly is going to degrade - so the question is how much exposure to UV is there?
IF (and its a big if) you close your curtains at night when it gets dark and open them when you get up in the morning then I suggest that DST would actually help prolong the life of your curtains:
Every evening you close your curtains when it gets dark - that means before the sun sets the curtains are tucked away and protected. Once its gets dark obviously theres no significnat UV exposure... so we're good at that end of the day, BUT, in the morning your curtains are exposed to UV from whenever the sun rised until you get up and open the curtains. It logically follows then, that an earlier sunrise (i.e nonDST) exposes your curtain to more UV and will increase their 'rate of fade' (Of course all that logic goes belly-up when eople close the curtains during the day to block out the harsh light and try and keep cool - in which case DST makes no difference whatsoever... The only people whose curtains are going to fade MORE with DST are those who wake up in the morning to their open windows and THEN close the curtains to stay cool during the day, only opening them to look out again in the evening when the sun sets....
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 10:36 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

My cats gave me over an hour extra sleep this morning. We'll probably be waking them up tomorrow morning when we get up for work.

Daylight Saving rocks.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 10:45 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Never mind the cows or the curtains, my iPhone is confused.

It successfully managed to keep up with DST yesterday. But this morning, my 0630 alarm went off at 0530! The clock on the phone said 0530, the alarm settings said 0630 - yet it was going off! Even more strange considering pre-DST, 0530 was was actually 0430...if you know what I mean.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 11:04 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Never mind the cows or the curtains, my iPhone is confused.

It successfully managed to keep up with DST yesterday. But this morning, my 0630 alarm went off at 0530! The clock on the phone said 0530, the alarm settings said 0630 - yet it was going off! Even more strange considering pre-DST, 0530 was was actually 0430...if you know what I mean.
I changed my phone back to automatic to see if it would update but it wouldn't, so it's back to manual.

(I prefer it that way when I'm travelling anyway. When I had my mega volcano trip it got very confused and all my appointments went screwy.)
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 11:09 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I think it's worse having to get up and get ready for and get to work in the morning when it's already hot. My 10 minute walk from station to office would often leave me feeling like I needed another shower once I got there! I wouldn't be nearly so bothered if it was a bit hotter on the way home from work - who cares by then?

Brisbane temps, unlike Melbourne often peak very early in the day - not sure anyone would really notice the difference in the evening.
I've been here over 6 years now (in brisbane) and I'm slowly starting to move away from being a Daylight saving extremist. I would still prefer the light nights, but now I don't have a really strong preference. Why have I gone to "the dark side" ?
a) Probably because I've lived here too long and I'm getting into the Australian mindset of just accepting things the way they are.
b) Changing circumstances - now with a young family, I don't get to go out and stay out late too often.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 11:42 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
What is bizarre about the lack of DST in Queensland is that Adelaide is half an hour ahead of Brisbane.
And about ten years.........MM
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mr mover
And about ten years.........MM
Boom boom Tssh!
Old Oct 4th 2010, 12:57 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Whats with the big obsession with DST?
A vote happens, and its a no, many times over, and the DST fanatics cant ever accept that its a no to DST and leave it alone. Every year they have another go.

Those who don't have it they are always whining about not having it. I LOVE not having it.

2 reasons.

1) Changing my clocks twice a year is frankly a pain the arse. All those watches (in my family), TV;s . If you add up all the lost man-hours changing clocks over manually it really is an economic waste of effort. The time is the time, why play with it or enjoy to a state that really benefits from DST.
2) Going home in the heat of the day makes me wonder who enjoys the punishment. Fine for the cooler southern states but where its hot, forget it. Cooler evenings are much better than trying to sweat it through and actually no DST uses less electricity its been found on those hot days increasing cooling costs!

If you think its backwards not having DST, China and Japan or South Korea dont have it and manage economically just fine!
Old Oct 4th 2010, 1:16 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Furthermore - theres is NOTHING stopping any business in SE Qld from deciding it wants to change its regular business hours from 8:30-17:00 to 7:30-16:00 in the summer if they so wish....

If you REALLY want to live like that - get a petition going in your workplace and change it.... Why do you need a legislative go ahead to wake up early?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.