Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dandenongs Foothills - suburbs?

Dandenongs Foothills - suburbs?

Old Feb 1st 2015, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Dandenongs Foothills - suburbs?

Well, after much to-ing and fro-ing, it seems we might be staying put in Australia after all. The question now is that we would like to buy a house at some point this year. Our budget will probably only be up to $450,000 and I have been looking at Upwey/Tecoma/Belgrave and possibly Ferntree Gully.

Is there anyone living in these areas? Mostly I would be really grateful for feedback on living in these towns and schools. We have an 11 year old (grade 6 this year) and a 7 yo, so need primary and secondary. Anyone know what Upwey HS is like?

We will also both be working in town, so realistic ideas on commute times would be good too. PTV website seems to estimate around 60 minutes on the train with an additional 15mins for OH to get down St Kilda Road. What is driving like at say 7am into the city?

Thanks for any help.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dandenongs Foothills - suburbs?

Originally Posted by Kiwikaye
Well, after much to-ing and fro-ing, it seems we might be staying put in Australia after all. The question now is that we would like to buy a house at some point this year. Our budget will probably only be up to $450,000 and I have been looking at Upwey/Tecoma/Belgrave and possibly Ferntree Gully.

Is there anyone living in these areas? Mostly I would be really grateful for feedback on living in these towns and schools. We have an 11 year old (grade 6 this year) and a 7 yo, so need primary and secondary. Anyone know what Upwey HS is like?

We will also both be working in town, so realistic ideas on commute times would be good too. PTV website seems to estimate around 60 minutes on the train with an additional 15mins for OH to get down St Kilda Road. What is driving like at say 7am into the city?

Thanks for any help.
If you want to drive in to the city leave at 630am or 830am. Say.
Upway and Tecoma: those places are sort of not strictly Dandenongs but have a Dandenongs culture. Slightly hippy, maybe alternative, not necessarily a bad thing. Not quite so claustrophobic perhaps - I like the Dandenongs for drives and tourist options. Belgrave is definitely a bit alternative down the main drag - enough to amuse me. Cracking little cinema and some good coffee shops, bakeries and cafes.

There are other villages further away - maybe quite a bit further away - (as the crow flies from Mt Dandenong) that are less touristy, less alternate and sort of more semi-rural on the suburban interface - but maybe more expensive.

Ferntree G is more bush-block suburban.

Also consider The Basin - which years ago seemed to be a bit of secret.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Feb 2nd 2015 at 6:33 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Badge. Will look at The Basin as well. Looks like OH is going to have to. Get up earlier in the mornings!

Do you know anything up Upwey High?
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 2:09 am
Good news everyone...

davidclifford is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Menzies Creek and have lived in Selby, Belgrave and Tecoma in the past. I commute to the Melbourne CBD by Bus and Train and takes about 1.5 hours each way and costs $140 / 4 weeks. I personally wouldn't commute by car, far too stressful and expensive. My house cost $450k when I bought it last year and has 4 Beds + on-suite and 1/3 acre plot. A few of my friends kids will be going to Upwey High next year and looks like a good school , mine will prob. go to Emerald High . I can't recommend Selby primary high enough if you have younger kids.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi David,

Thanks very much for the post. That helps a lot. Its hard just judging schools by rating websites and such when I think personal experience counts for a lot more. I know from past experience that school ratings, particularly on a socio-economic level, do not necessarily a good school make.

Obviously with our budget to buy we're restricted very much on areas, and I think you get a fair bit for your money in the area, compared with being closer to town. I love the area we live in now, but realistically we would need twice as much money to think about buying here. I haven't checked out Selby or Menzies Creek, so will give those a look too.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidclifford
I live in Menzies Creek and have lived in Selby, Belgrave and Tecoma in the past. I commute to the Melbourne CBD by Bus and Train and takes about 1.5 hours each way and costs $140 / 4 weeks. I personally wouldn't commute by car, far too stressful and expensive. My house cost $450k when I bought it last year and has 4 Beds + on-suite and 1/3 acre plot. A few of my friends kids will be going to Upwey High next year and looks like a good school , mine will prob. go to Emerald High . I can't recommend Selby primary high enough if you have younger kids.
Some of the places that skirt south/west of the Dandonong Villages are close to the Burwood highway or Wellington Road.

Selby and Menzies Creek are all nice. Also near Emerald. Main hub of the Dandenongs probably - with Monbulk a close second.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 1:47 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Our budget will probably only be up to $450,000 and I have been looking at Upwey/Tecoma/Belgrave and possibly Ferntree Gully.

Is there anyone living in these areas?
I bought a place in FTG last year, so have a reasonable knowledge of the market there in the last 12 months. For $450,000 you will likely get a good size 2 bedroom place, a 3 bedroom place on a subdivision or if you are looking at single block 3 bed you might get an older place that has work/renovation to do.

This may seem obvious, but the further you go out of the city $450,000 will get you a bigger sized property. Once you get past the end of the Belgrave railway line it get's even better, as the Menzies Creek poster above indicated.

Another thing to consider is once you go past FTG most of the suburbs are in the 'bushfire zone' (look this up if you are unfamiliar).

This website gives you an idea of house sales in the area:

Ferntree Gully - Property Sold Prices
Old Feb 12th 2015, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi NJJ,

Thanks for the reply. I have no objections to an older property which needs work, but we do need 3 beds. I've seen a few things on Domain and realestate.com.au which might suit.

Our timing seems to be an ever-changing feast at the moment, but will keep looking.

Thanks again
Kaye
Old Feb 12th 2015, 2:11 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi NJJ,

Thanks for the reply. I have no objections to an older property which needs work, but we do need 3 beds. I've seen a few things on Domain and realestate.com.au which might suit.

Our timing seems to be an ever-changing feast at the moment, but will keep looking.

Thanks again
Kaye
One other thing I just remembered - when dealing with estate agents in the area, there seems to be an unwritten rule that whatever the advertised price add 10%. For example we went to many 'open for inspections' where the place was advertised at $390,000. There is no way that the places we were looking at would sell for that low, it's just a ploy by the agents to get people through the doors. (we were also looking at around $450,000 range)

Many agents in the area have the same MO. The other thing is the 'sale by set date' where they will take offers and present them on a set date to the vendor all at the same time. Harcourts & Barry Plants are the two who seem to both work this way moreso than other agents, but a lot of properties in the area go through these agents.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Steve1957 is an unknown quantity at this point

We lived in Belgrave back in the mid 80's,, recently went up there for the first time since we left. Nothing has changed, little progress or upgrades and looks quite run down. A thing to watch up there is the weather, always seemed to rain more than closer to Melbourne. Nice trees but a long long way from the big city.