Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dancing as a career in Australia?

Dancing as a career in Australia?

Old Jun 7th 2010, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

lynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nice
Default Dancing as a career in Australia?

Hi everyone
My sister is hoping to study for a degree in dancing at Melbourne university.
She dances classical ballet, contemporary, modern and jazz.
My question is after her qualification would she be able to stay in Australia and work as a dancer. I am guessing her best bet would be a 457 visa if she can find a job with a dance company. Anybody have any insight into whether dance companies hire international dancers? If she did get a 457 is there any route to a permanent visa over time?
Thanks in advance
Lynette
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:36 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Dancing as a career in Australia?

Originally Posted by lynetteh
Hi everyone
My sister is hoping to study for a degree in dancing at Melbourne university.
She dances classical ballet, contemporary, modern and jazz.
My question is after her qualification would she be able to stay in Australia and work as a dancer. I am guessing her best bet would be a 457 visa if she can find a job with a dance company. Anybody have any insight into whether dance companies hire international dancers? If she did get a 457 is there any route to a permanent visa over time?
Thanks in advance
Lynette
I recommend she talks to Miss Lou Lou at Glittery Tapping wonderland.

www.glitterytappingwonderland.com

She is a very experienced dancer and runs three dance schools, employing lots of teachers. She may well be able to give some advice.

BB
Old Jun 8th 2010, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dancing as a career in Australia?

I have no idea about the practicalities of dancing in Australia.

However dancer is currently on the ENSOL and the 457 approved occupations lists. This means that currently the occupation is one that is eligible for both permanent and temporary employer sponsorship. It is not eligible for independent skilled migration.

Note that the ENSOL / 457 lists could change before your sister has completed her course and there may or may not be any transitional arrangements.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 1:48 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I've studied the fine detail via the medium of popular television and can conclude that as a dancer your chances of making it big are greatly enhanced if you're also hugely overweight and a fine cook. Then you can star on the next HUGE reality TV show:

"Australias fattest dancing chef"

A surefire hit.

(Sorry no serious advice available )
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a link to the employment section of the Australian Ballet (currently showing they have no positions available) http://www.australianballet.com.au/main.taf?p=5,6,1. Your sister should probably zap them an email, they are based in Melbourne. Dance is pretty competitive in Australia and a lot of Australian girls leave Australia to go dance overseas. The Australian Ballet auditions kids all over Australian from the age of 9 and those that are successful go to Melbourne on school holidays for classes. This means they have a huge locally trained pool of dancers to choose from.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 7:03 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I recommend she talks to Miss Lou Lou at Glittery Tapping wonderland.

www.glitterytappingwonderland.com

She is a very experienced dancer and runs three dance schools, employing lots of teachers. She may well be able to give some advice.

BB
I was also going to recommend Miss Lou Lou but dear say its another dancer

perhaps even profession
Old Jun 8th 2010, 7:07 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I think its one of those things that if you are fantastic you can go anywhere, if not you are going nowhere.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
Yeah I think its one of those things that if you are fantastic you can go anywhere, if not you are going nowhere.
I suppose this is true, you have to be really good to get anywhere. My wife is jaw-droppingly amazing - and has toured with companies but she reckons she is average. She does critique many of the dancers she sees on TV.

I think some dancers end up teaching or going into splinter professions or sports related disciplines - and indeed, have that to fall back on.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

lynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nice

Thanks everyone!
Old Jun 9th 2010, 3:12 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynetteh
Thanks everyone!
I saw an excellent programme on SBS last night about the Australian Dance Theater (based in Adeliaide) and one of the dancers on there was a girl from Swindon (she is on their current list of dancers - Kialea). So they must have some form of sponsorship programme.
Here is the website.
http://www.adt.org.au/
Old Jun 9th 2010, 5:05 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
I saw an excellent programme on SBS last night about the Australian Dance Theater (based in Adeliaide) and one of the dancers on there was a girl from Swindon (she is on their current list of dancers - Kialea). So they must have some form of sponsorship programme.
Here is the website.
http://www.adt.org.au/
Well she would be classed as good

A day before arriving in Australia to join ADT, Kialea won the highly prestigious National Critic Circle's Award for Best Modern Female Dancer 2007 (UK) for her performance of Harmonica Breakdown with Phoenix Dance Theatre.