Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To damn hot, whats pont of beautiful country if its to hot to enjoy

To damn hot, whats pont of beautiful country if its to hot to enjoy

Old Oct 11th 2010, 2:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To damn hot, whats pont of beautiful country if its to hot to enjoy

Originally Posted by Amazulu
One thing that Australia is not short of is decent swimming pools. I've been swimming outdoors all winter in a full size pool all winter. When I go after work it's virtually empty.
I just live in the wrong place - difficult to get to a pool without a car, the only one do-able easily by bus has very limited times for swimming just for relaxation, as it caters mainly for kids and families. I'd be happy to go first thing in the morning after work but you have to be a dedicated swimmer and do laps for that Late afternoons/evenings are usually clubs or are dedicated child swimming times. Having been turned away several times for not being in the right club its easier now just not to think about it.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Don_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Brighton's pool was fantastic, miss it here Mind you today you don't need a pool in Brisbane, you can just swim down the streets!
Well you sure could in Deagon this afternoon and the Brisbane river is looking a bit feisty now that opened the spill gates at Wivenhoe.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 3:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Don_Angel
Well you sure could in Deagon this afternoon and the Brisbane river is looking a bit feisty now that opened the spill gates at Wivenhoe.
Tell me about it, I've spent the last eight hours compiling stats and writing reports on it
Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
It hasn't been over 21.3C (today's maximum) here since late April.

I find the thread title a little amusing because it is like someone in Southern California saying the same thing about the USA because they have hot summers down there, or similarly someone in southern Spain bemoaning the incessant heat that Europe is subjected to in summer.
Let's just say that some Brits are a little geographically challenged.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It got to 25 at work...whatever.

Melbourne spring is basically a UK summer - fleetingly....enjoy the UK summer temps whilst it lasts...
I reckon we get UK summer weather all the way up to the end of Dec beginning of Jan now.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

Talking of swimming pools I still love the irony of the Harold Holt Swim Centre.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Talking of swimming pools I still love the irony of the Harold Holt Swim Centre.
And some people say that 'Australians' (as a whole obviously) don't have a sense of humour.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon we get UK summer weather all the way up to the end of Dec beginning of Jan now.
I know what you mean - in Melbourne, the real heat - day in, day out (with breaks - naturally) kicks in a lot later than other cities but this might be a good thing. UK summer +. But don't tell anyone. I tell you what, the thing that gets me in the spring is the UV and how it just switches on. I've been running outside at lunch and the UV plus 22-25 has almost killed me.

Don't we all! We have friends that live a few blocks nearby and it's one of my 'nav' points inbound...
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:04 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
And some people say that 'Australians' (as a whole obviously) don't have a sense of humour.
That's the difference between the Aussies and the Yanks, you'd never see a JFK rifle range