Dalkeith?

Old Nov 20th 2015, 12:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dalkeith?

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Disagree. Many dislike their lives here and some do hate Australia but it's definitely not majority. However some do enjoy trying to put would be migrants down for no other reason than their own enjoyment whilst others manage to show the negatives in a more graceful manner.

To the OP, you mentioned you were looking at this area because of school rankings. My girls are in their 20s now but I've always taken rankings with a pinch of salt. So once you get your visa, get over here, get a short term/holiday rental and check suburbs and schools out for yourself. A school could be top ranking with bells and whistles but your child could be seriously unhappy there. Good luck.
Actually, even sitting here in my parallel Australia I have to agree. A lot of us dislike life here for personal reasons, but as long as a potential migrant (such as the OP) realises that Aus is not all milk and honey I would still never say don't try it. It works for many families. I may dislike my life, and many things about Aus, but even I am not Anti-Australia

What I would say to the OP and others considering the move, is - read as many threads as you can, BE is full of threads about living in Perth and its surrounds and you just need toread as many different opinions as possible.
Check out how to get you qualifications recognised here - getting a skills assessment doesn't necessarily mean you are qualified to practise here, so check that out.

(And you may not realise this but calling fellow posters 'dear' can be taken is very condescending and will not win you friends! For some of us - due to previous forum issues - its a red rag to a bull Not to be recommended!)
Old Nov 20th 2015, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

AmyLuke is an unknown quantity at this point

Disagree. Many dislike their lives here and some do hate Australia but it's definitely not majority. However some do enjoy trying to put would be migrants down for no other reason than their own enjoyment whilst others manage to show the negatives in a more graceful manner.

To the OP, you mentioned you were looking at this area because of school rankings. My girls are in their 20s now but I've always taken rankings with a pinch of salt. So once you get your visa, get over here, get a short term/holiday rental and check suburbs and schools out for yourself. A school could be top ranking with bells and whistles but your child could be seriously unhappy there. Good luck.
Thank you!! We are coming over in March 2016 for 3 weeks so will check out some schools during that time. I agree that some people seem to comment simply to make you feel rubbish- no need at all!!
Old Nov 20th 2015, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Actually, even sitting here in my parallel Australia I have to agree. A lot of us dislike life here for personal reasons, but as long as a potential migrant (such as the OP) realises that Aus is not all milk and honey I would still never say don't try it. It works for many families. I may dislike my life, and many things about Aus, but even I am not Anti-Australia

What I would say to the OP and others considering the move, is - read as many threads as you can, BE is full of threads about living in Perth and its surrounds and you just need toread as many different opinions as possible.
Check out how to get you qualifications recognised here - getting a skills assessment doesn't necessarily mean you are qualified to practise here, so check that out.

(And you may not realise this but calling fellow posters 'dear' can be taken is very condescending and will not win you friends! For some of us - due to previous forum issues - its a red rag to a bull Not to be recommended!)
Hi Polyana, yes I let his bad attitude get to me and called him dear, I apologise but it was beginning to annoy me that he seemed to be commenting purely to be difficult and not actually offer any advice.
I am having a look on other forums and we've now got in touch with friends over there so I'll speak more to them now. Was just after some initial advice really
Old Nov 20th 2015, 12:53 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyLuke
Thank you!! We are coming over in March 2016 for 3 weeks so will check out some schools during that time. I agree that some people seem to comment simply to make you feel rubbish- no need at all!!
The joys of public forums. I'd say ignore but even the most unhelpful person can come up with pearls of wisdom sometimes.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Bizarre I know, but one thing you really need to know about this website is that the majority of posters hate Australia

If I can give you one tip - don't make major decisions based on what you read on here

Good luck
Thanks Amazulu, definitely won't be basing our future on a few negative comments! Thanks for all your help )) x
Old Nov 20th 2015, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

The joys of public forums. I'd say ignore but even the most unhelpful person can come up with pearls of wisdom sometimes.
Ha ha thank you
Old Nov 20th 2015, 12:57 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Amazulu, definitely won't be basing our future on a few negative comments! Thanks for all your help )) x
Do what you've gotta do

Opinions on this forum (mine included) don't means shit
Old Nov 20th 2015, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Geezer123 is an unknown quantity at this point

This chic is a moron. what qualifications do you have in the accounting field?

Theres nothing wrong with Australia....But I do find it amusing that a bookkeeper and a bricklayer think that there 200k sterling will get them into Dalkeith.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Geezer123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Believe what you want to believe champ

I'm just telling it like it is
Nice one mate.

Last edited by Geezer123; Nov 20th 2015 at 2:00 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geezer123

Theres nothing wrong with Australia....But I do find it amusing that a bookkeeper and a bricklayer think that there 200k sterling will get them into Dalkeith.
Please leave name calling out of the discussion.

Thank you.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geezer123

OP doesn't know what her money will get her or where she'll be living, she's on here looking for some helpful feedback.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kim67
OP doesn't know what her money will get her or where she'll be living, she's on here looking for some helpful feedback.
Thank you Kim! That's exactly why I posted. I did put in a post "if anyone thinks we can't afford to live her let me know" or words to that effect. I only originally thought of with Dalkeith because it's primary school had a very good ranking and we haven't much other information to go on.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 9:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Kim! That's exactly why I posted. I did put in a post "if anyone thinks we can't afford to live her let me know" or words to that effect. I only originally thought of with Dalkeith because it's primary school had a very good ranking and we haven't much other information to go on.
And everyone has to start the research somewhere after all
Old Nov 21st 2015, 9:38 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

AmyLuke, I would not base everything on school ratings, especially primary school where play and fun, sports etc are more taught than geography etc like in Europe. Also, NAPLAN results, some schools with higher ratings have been known in the past to encourage the "dumber" kids to stay home during NAPLAN testing.

I would be much more concerned for great high school areas even if it's few years away.

Also, just watching my mate the brickie, you do understand that depending on storm season, there can be times when hubby won't be working?
Old Nov 21st 2015, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by teza
AmyLuke, I would not base everything on school ratings, especially primary school where play and fun, sports etc are more taught than geography etc like in Europe. Also, NAPLAN results, some schools with higher ratings have been known in the past to encourage the "dumber" kids to stay home during NAPLAN testing.

I would be much more concerned for great high school areas even if it's few years away.

Also, just watching my mate the brickie, you do understand that depending on storm season, there can be times when hubby won't be working?
Hi, I never considered looking at high schools but I will do now- thanks very much! Yeah it's pretty much same as UK now in winter- not as much work as normal if any, hopefully I'll be working once were settled and we've got some savings to bring over so should be ok but all points to consider. Thank you for your help x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.