Reload this Page >

Customs / new items question

Customs / new items question

Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Customs / new items question

Hi there.

Our life in 20 boxes ship tomorrow for their 12 week journey. I know it is a bit late and my mrs. said it is her fault but it states that you must state anything that is less than 12 months old. Obviously a lot of things are neither or here but the oh says she has got some clothes with tags on (suprise suprise ). The trouble is the boxes ship tomorrow and we do not really want to go through them all.

My question is how hard are they on you for this if they find any? As I see it they are worried about people shipping in quantities of goods that could be re-sold and escape the duty.
Has anyone had any first hand experience of this as I do not want a fine, thanks James .
Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:19 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customs / new items question

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
Hi there.

Our life in 20 boxes ship tomorrow for their 12 week journey. I know it is a bit late and my mrs. said it is her fault but it states that you must state anything that is less than 12 months old. Obviously a lot of things are neither or here but the oh says she has got some clothes with tags on (suprise suprise ). The trouble is the boxes ship tomorrow and we do not really want to go through them all.

My question is how hard are they on you for this if they find any? As I see it they are worried about people shipping in quantities of goods that could be re-sold and escape the duty.
Has anyone had any first hand experience of this as I do not want a fine, thanks James .
I think it highly unlikely they will be interested in clothes, unless they are very obviously commercial quantities (entire boxes of new t-shirts etc)

Buzzy
Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

Thanks buzzy I think I will chance it, cheers James
Old Jul 11th 2008, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

I agree with Buzzy, clothes would need to be in commercial quantities to be of any interest. However other goods can be of interest. I brought a number of electronic goods with me that were over 12 months old but in good condition. Customs asked me to provide purchase receipts before they would release the goods with duty being payable.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

manwinoname is an unknown quantity at this point

I did declare a relatively new home PC and had to pay $78 before our consignment was released The box it was in however was unopened and they wouldn't have known otherwise
Old Jul 11th 2008, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

Hi Loch lomond and manwinoname.

I did not declare a Wii that was in there but that is well over 12 months old

Am I led to believe that if they open a box and find something that they believe to be less then 12 months old they can charge you for it wehter you declare it or not? wtf

Also what are they charging you the cash for? Is this handling e.t.c, cheers James
Old Jul 12th 2008, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Watch out for your shoes! They charge $22 per pair to steam clean any they don't like the look of, be they old or new.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Hi Loch lomond and manwinoname.

I did not declare a Wii that was in there but that is well over 12 months old

Am I led to believe that if they open a box and find something that they believe to be less then 12 months old they can charge you for it wehter you declare it or not? wtf

Also what are they charging you the cash for? Is this handling e.t.c, cheers James
From my experience the onus is on you to prove to goods are over 12 months old, not the other way round. I guess at a pinch if you didn't have receipts you could prove age by model number, year of manufacture etc.
The charge is excise duty.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 11:41 am
Account Closed

Its fair enough L L I will just have to see what happens. It is up the them what they do it does seem unfair though when the item (s) could be unboxed and clearly a persons personal items.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 11:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lesleys
Watch out for your shoes! They charge $22 per pair to steam clean any they don't like the look of, be they old or new.
Hi Lesleys.

Thankfully we have not packed any shoes as we were aware of this. This rule makes me laugh as I can in theory walk through with my own cross country trainers in my bag covered in cowshit no problem, I have taken
dirty-ish shoes in before
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

My sound stupid but i'm going to ask anyway. Does the ruling apply to just stuff in your shipping or will it apply for things that you take in your suitcase too? I can understand TV's etc but i've got loads of clothes and shoes etc that are less than 12 months old
Old Jul 13th 2008, 1:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by vickys
My sound stupid but i'm going to ask anyway. Does the ruling apply to just stuff in your shipping or will it apply for things that you take in your suitcase too? I can understand TV's etc but i've got loads of clothes and shoes etc that are less than 12 months old
Hi Vickys.

As I understand it, it is only stuff you ship and not your hand luggage / suitcase items. I would not worry about these items in your suitcase
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Hi Vickys.

As I understand it, it is only stuff you ship and not your hand luggage / suitcase items. I would not worry about these items in your suitcase
Thanks for that, i'll put all my old stuff in my suitcase and go on a shopping spree for new clothes and shoes before we go.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 1:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

They aren't going to worry about clothes/shoes/cds all that kind of thing, unless you have boxloads of stuff and it looks like you plan to sell it on.
They will only worry about the stuff on which it is worth charging duty - large electrical stuff etc, and very few peopleon here have been charged.