Reload this Page >

Current market for Accounting jobs in Australia

Current market for Accounting jobs in Australia

Old Jan 8th 2013, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

imdvlp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Current market for Accounting jobs in Australia

Hi JOE2010,

I am sorry but I was not directing the message or 'advice' to you, so all I hope is a minimal level of respect from other fellow BE members before jumping to conclusions or being judgmental.

Yes, it is indeed VERY difficult to ME to obtain a role in my profession/field for this matter despite my list of degrees, international experience, and/or Australian experience. Please accept my apologies if I did imply in my previous message that my 'predictment' would apply to everyone.

I am not sure who do you mean by 'everyone' but based on the context, I infer this means to any possible immigrant or candidate with Accounting background looking to settle in Australia.

Yes, I do know migrants from South East Asia and from Africa who are doing well. Yes, I do know others who are in the same situation as myself. Again, I am not only 'showing up' with a list of degrees but rather with a solid list of experience as well to demonstrate to my potential employer I am the right candidate for the job.

Indeed, there is more emphasis on experience rather than on qualifications in Australia. I completely agree with you. I entirely do so, trust me! Do you think I would like to be in an Asian country competing among 1 billion people for one role? No! Well, you will be another person I say this, respectfully - do you think I will be pursuing further qualifications if I had a well deserved role. Do you think I am proud of being the laughing stock of friends/family, and so on?

Do you really believe I enjoy the 'Oh... how you been able to find a job? 'Oh... are you still... uhmm.. uhmm... working in the night job? We will pray for you..! Really, do you believe I enjoy being ridiculed? Hell no! Do you believe I enjoy the feeling of suicide growing on me? Hell, no!

To be Continued...

Originally Posted by JOE2010
This is wrong and pretty bad advice. Just because it is hard to get a job does not mean the same predicament will apply to everyone. I know many migrants from South East Asia and Africa who have nice jobs, including two of my direct reports. Yes, it is hard - but showing up with a list of degrees is not, and can never be a substitute for experience. I think their is more emphasis on experience than qualifications in Australia, and rightly so.

One of my mates and close friends is from Iran, used to work in the Middle East and been here for 6 years. His first job was a Graduate Financial Analyst with one of the Big Four Banks. He has been promoted a couple of times - and this year became a Finance Manager. It is possible.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Hi AkaDisaster,

Believe in yourself. You as many other immigrants have been led to believe that Australia is a very prosperous place. Australia is like any other country in this world with all goods/bads.

I cannot give any advice for this matter as I do not want to be held liable for your outcome, but do more thorough research! I assume you do not live in one of those countries where there is Censorship, right? Well, get as much info as possible. Do you prefer to keep your family and savings together rather than going throug the struggle of unemployment and savings drying up?

No, this predictment do not happen to everyone. There are the exceptions to the rule.

Have you read the forum, 'Why do immigrants leave Sydney?' You can get the other side of the picture/coin, as well.

Cheers,

Originally Posted by AkaDisaster
Hi Everyone

I am new to this forum and have started the process of migrating to Oz. I have been reading a number of posts on Accounting positions in OZ and to be frank enough, they are scary. Sometimes I ask myself if this was worth pursuing. We have already submitted the Visa and have ivested quite a big chunk in the Visa process.

My situation is as follows, I have over 10years exp in South Africa. I did ACCA and I am still keen on doing the CA qualification in Oz. Is it easy to get into the CA Program with the Auditing firms?

How are the Salaries for trainee Accountats? Will they consider my Experiance! I am currently employed by a giant Cellphone company as a Financial Accountant.

Please help!
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Very constructive comment!

One of my former colleagues went through Cadetship/Interships with Deloitte, and she is still struggling to find a professional job. By the way, she is not Iranian or from an ethnic background. She is local.

Cheers,

Originally Posted by commonwealth
my friend at PwC sydney interviews seasonal contractors, and she mentioned there are many high quality candidates (with CA and local experience) looking for jobs at the moment!

it's really tough as many accounting roles have been outsourced overseas!
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Hi again JOE2010,

Sorry for my rude 'To be Continued...' last line.

As other BE member said, 'Move back to Chicago?' Godness... Do you think I am saving up enough in this job to return to my reality?

I for one do not like to be in this cycle, so if you have any polite recommendations and or suggestions, I am welcome to hear them. I am more than keen to return to a professional job instead of the 500 job application rejections I've received so far.

Regards,

Originally Posted by JOE2010
This is wrong and pretty bad advice. Just because it is hard to get a job does not mean the same predicament will apply to everyone. I know many migrants from South East Asia and Africa who have nice jobs, including two of my direct reports. Yes, it is hard - but showing up with a list of degrees is not, and can never be a substitute for experience. I think their is more emphasis on experience than qualifications in Australia, and rightly so.

One of my mates and close friends is from Iran, used to work in the Middle East and been here for 6 years. His first job was a Graduate Financial Analyst with one of the Big Four Banks. He has been promoted a couple of times - and this year became a Finance Manager. It is possible.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

AFDz is an unknown quantity at this point

I was considering quite seriously to apply to Australia (and had an optimistic outlook) till I came across this post!

Is it really that bad and competitive for the accounting profession in Australia, considering its an always 'in-demand' kind of profession, and that Australia isn't doing too bad in the current climate (atleast according to the media).

I'm an auditor with one of the Big4 with three years of experience in Dubai and a US CPA. Do you think it's foolish for me to try and migrate to Australia at present? I had such an upbeat view till I read this post!
Old Jan 8th 2013, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by imdvlp
Hi again JOE2010,

Sorry for my rude 'To be Continued...' last line.

As other BE member said, 'Move back to Chicago?' Godness... Do you think I am saving up enough in this job to return to my reality?

I for one do not like to be in this cycle, so if you have any polite recommendations and or suggestions, I am welcome to hear them. I am more than keen to return to a professional job instead of the 500 job application rejections I've received so far.

Regards,
This is what I have found useful;

1. I have been here for close to 7 years – it is only this year I was able to get my first role direct with an employer, the others were sourced with Recruitment Agencies. I was fortunate to know some recruiters who were ex- accountants and pretty solid. Recruitment agencies do help.

2. My first role was more of data entry/AR/AP – despite having ACCA. And no, I did not undersell myself. I just jumped on the first offer, became part of the system and six months later I got a job as a Financial Accountant. I doubt without the Oz experience that would have been possible. If you have to, it pays to take a step back.

3. I had to do CA, to get past the gate keepers. You need some very solid experience/network to get away with this. From my experience and having worked with Rio, BHP, Chevron at some point – either CA or CPA is a necessity. They are not the best, CPA being crappier but you do not argue with employers.

4. Network. Network. Network. Find ways of meeting people who may know someone. I changed jobs this year and I had two offers. One of the hiring managers I had worked for and play golf with, and the role I ended up with one of my MBA classmates was already working there.

5. Join a charity or anything that can increase the probability of meeting new people. I have been a Rotarian for a number of years and it is amazing the no. of contacts you can make. This far outweighs the cost.

6. If you have not done so – get a professional review your CV and assess your interview technique through mock interviews. I have seen colleagues go through this process. If you have send 500 applications with no response, given that you say you have international experience and your communication is okay, that could be the problem.

7. As much as possible, stop believing that cultural fit means you are Asian/African/Minority and that is going to be used against you. Pricks come in all colours, and a hiring manager who makes a decision on the basis of your colour is not worth working for. Just be yourself – people appreciate diversity.

Have you thought of relocating a smaller city like Perth/Adelaide? I believe competition is lower compared to Sydney, and may be easier to get a foot in the door?

Good Luck.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AkaDisaster
Thanks Bermudashorts

The problem is when you dont know, you are most likely engulfed in some confusion. I am proud to be ACCA and would not at any point wish to go over some studies that I have already covered. The proplem is when you ready the posts ( probably the only place you get more infor about Oz apart from friends), it seems like you will do well with an extra qualification like CPA or ICAA.

I am not prepared to undersell my self NEVER especially if I can get a good job without having to do CA or CPA.
Before I moved I read on here that I would have to try and convert to an Australian qualification, some were adamant that I would. If you went back far enough, you might find a post from me stating categorically that as a 13 years qualified accountant, I would not be taking any more exams and that my ACCA would be just fine.

It was. Furthermore I have plent of colleagues with ACCA or other non-Australian acountancy qualifications.

Nevertheless the job market is tough at the moment and this is for everyone, regardless of qualification. And I think when people think the solution is to take a step back and down, they are misguided, in fact it could make recruiters think that the candidate is not very good if they are wiling to do this.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

AkaDisaster is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for all your replies. I think I will be able to make an informed judgement. I wish I had done this before committing part of my savings in organising the Visa with all its rigorous and costly process. I guess one needs to approach migrating with an open mind. Being prepared to settle for the worst (toilet cleaning)hahaha!!

I will definately come over to Oz and will be banking on you guys to help me settle. JOE2010, Bermudashorts and others.

Once again thank you for your unbiased, frank advice!!
Old Jan 24th 2013, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

AkaDisaster is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Before I moved I read on here that I would have to try and convert to an Australian qualification, some were adamant that I would. If you went back far enough, you might find a post from me stating categorically that as a 13 years qualified accountant, I would not be taking any more exams and that my ACCA would be just fine.

It was. Furthermore I have plent of colleagues with ACCA or other non-Australian acountancy qualifications.

Nevertheless the job market is tough at the moment and this is for everyone, regardless of qualification. And I think when people think the solution is to take a step back and down, they are misguided, in fact it could make recruiters think that the candidate is not very good if they are wiling to do this.
Hi Bermudashorts
Is there a way I can get in touch with you? I need private/personal advice?