Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Criminal record anyone???

Criminal record anyone???

Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:34 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Criminal record anyone???

Just paid an agent and am now worried that were not gonna get our visas due to my partner having a criminal record 16 years ago.
I would like to know from any one whos going through the same thing or know anybody who had their visas with having a criminal record.
Cheers
Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Criminal record anyone???

Originally Posted by Ransi
Just paid an agent and am now worried that were not gonna get our visas due to my partner having a criminal record 16 years ago.
I would like to know from any one whos going through the same thing or know anybody who had their visas with having a criminal record.
Cheers
Depends on the record and sentence (pm me with details if you wish and I can be more specific) but if its a single offence 16 years ago its unlikely to make a difference.
There are people who have used this site who have had records for violence, drugs, burglary....they have all got their visas. the main thing is, its a lng time ago, and you can probably get character refernces to say how your partner has reformed.
What is the advice from the agent - have you told him/her the details?

Polly
(criminal record checker since 1989!)
Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:58 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for the reply.My partner was done for gbh was fined £150.
Our agent knows all about it and we've requested our police record checks but it can take up to 40 days!!! Agent doesnt think it will be a problem as it was so long ago so hopefully everything will go smoothly,but you never know!!
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:02 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for the reply.My partner was done for gbh was fined £150.
Our agent knows all about it and we've requested our police record checks but it can take up to 40 days!!! Agent doesnt think it will be a problem as it was so long ago so hopefully everything will go smoothly,but you never know!!
If your agent knows and doesn't see it as a prob you should be fine. Presumably he has behaved himself since. Give him a slap if it causes problems
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:05 pm
Cheeky member

Oh ye...he's definately been a good boy since
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:05 pm

hayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the rough

The conviction will be spent by now and should not even appear in a CRB check. You should be fine, don't worry!!
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:09 pm
Cheeky member

Well according to our local police man, offences stay on your record (unless you were a minor),regardless of when the crime took place!!
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Well according to our local police man, offences stay on your record (unless you were a minor),regardless of when the crime took place!!
Well, it will show up on the PCC but what Poll was saying was that people have got their visas with far worse convictions than GBH 16 years ago. Jail sentences have got through and if your agent doesn't think it would be a problem, chill The whole process is stressful enough without worrying about something extra.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:16 pm

hayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the rough

They will stay on your record but will show up as spent. They would be unlikely to show up on a CRB check unless it was an ofence which was serious or could put say children at risk etc...
Spent convictions are just that spent, so u should be fine. i work within probation now and have worked as paralegal/fee earner at crown court level, spents hold no water and should not cause u any probs.

Notice i say should!! Can never be 100% on these things but wouldn't worry
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:21 pm
Cheeky member

Cheers you guys.Its good to hear reassuring positive attitude.
Im gonna stop worring now and look forward to the day we get our visas
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hayleyhails
They will stay on your record but will show up as spent. They would be unlikely to show up on a CRB check unless it was an ofence which was serious or could put say children at risk etc...
Spent convictions are just that spent, so u should be fine. i work within probation now and have worked as paralegal/fee earner at crown court level, spents hold no water and should not cause u any probs.

Notice i say should!! Can never be 100% on these things but wouldn't worry
The checks done for migration purposes are done by the Police under Subject Access, not (as yet) by the CRB. That long ago, with that sentence, it is almost certainly spent, but may still appear on the Subject Access check, as that reveals all, including spent convictions.
Can't honestly see it making a difference though; you should be fine.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 2:29 pm
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Cheers
Yes - like your partner, mine are for violence and a good few years ago.

I got the visa and it is activated now, but was informed by the young lady at the time of confirming my passport was in the post to me, that "I needed to makesure, that I got into no more trouble".

You should be ok.......good luck
Old Mar 31st 2005, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Yeah i,ve had a couple of scrapes with the law. Same sort of thing and we got our visas last week so you should be ok. All the best Darren
Old Mar 31st 2005, 3:26 pm
Cheeky member

Originally Posted by karenjc
Yeah i,ve had a couple of scrapes with the law. Same sort of thing and we got our visas last week so you should be ok. All the best Darren
Cheers Darren,
Good luck in Oz
Old Apr 1st 2005, 6:51 am
stuck in twilight

pike is on a distinguished road

uncle had done 2 years inside 5 years before application and was refused for not saying took another two years too get their and he was married to an aus , Good Luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.