Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

credit cards in oz?

credit cards in oz?

Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default credit cards in oz?

Just sorting out myself a bank account with wespac,and they offer a credit card do they charge a fee per year to have this and what does that cost,also does one need to be working and living there to get one?
Im sure i read somewhere even if still living and working in uk i can apply and get one of these while in the uk is this right.

Who is recommended to get a credit card with and say charges no fees per year,is virgin card a good choice?I have virgin card in the uk does this help me when applying in oz or make no difference and again,can it be applied for when i am stil in uk.
As for address etc i can provide an aunts address if required.

Who else is good to look into for credit cards in oz citibank?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

jancath2008 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: credit cards in oz?

Originally Posted by brian.w
Just sorting out myself a bank account with wespac,and they offer a credit card do they charge a fee per year to have this and what does that cost,also does one need to be working and living there to get one?
Im sure i read somewhere even if still living and working in uk i can apply and get one of these while in the uk is this right.

Who is recommended to get a credit card with and say charges no fees per year,is virgin card a good choice?I have virgin card in the uk does this help me when applying in oz or make no difference and again,can it be applied for when i am stil in uk.
As for address etc i can provide an aunts address if required.

Who else is good to look into for credit cards in oz citibank?
Most Australian banks require you to be a permanent resident to have any form of credit. They will ask for your ATO statement if you do not have wage slips.
There are some banks who offer a no fee card but most charge an annual fee, ranging form $59 upwards. It is wise to check out the interest rate, varies from 11% to over 20%.
Most banks charge a monthly fee for your every day account, read the small print carefully.
Hope this helps.

jancath
Old Oct 28th 2008, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

ATO statement if you do not have wage slips.

Whats ato?

But i would have a pr visa just maybe not living and working there just yet.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

jancath2008 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by brian.w
ATO statement if you do not have wage slips.

Whats ato?

But i would have a pr visa just maybe not living and working there just yet.
Oops sorry terminology! Australia Tax Office assessment.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Westpac do let you apply before you come, but I think only about 6 weeks before and you may need a job offer or other financial statement. Check out the migrant part of their website, as they may have further restrictions.

We took out a no fee credit card with them, but you get no free interest period, it charges interest from when the purchase is made. We are about to change to a 55 day interest card, for which they charge $30 per year. However, this is waived for the first year and subsequent years if you spend about 12k.

Other cards charge more, but give lower interest etc. Some allow your spouse a card, some do not (they have to prove their own earnings)

You could check out http://www.ratecity.com.au/ which gives the 'small print' catches.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

tomcruise is an unknown quantity at this point

Coles Group Mastercard is 55 days free interest and no annual fee.

http://www.colesgroupcard.com.au/

HTH
Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:59 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

Virgin did a credit card over here which was free and also has a long payback period. Unfortunately, they stopped doing them for new customers earlier this year - guess they couldn't have been making much out of the service!- so it's no longer available.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tomcruise
Coles Group Mastercard is 55 days free interest and no annual fee.

http://www.colesgroupcard.com.au/

HTH
Seems this is only accepted at Coles group shops

"Accepted at over 16 of your favourite Coles Group Limited brands and more than 1,800 locations"
Old Oct 29th 2008, 4:42 am
ABCDiamond

Coles Group Source MasterCard
  • No annual fee
  • Up to 62 days interest free on purchases

http://source.com.au/MasterCard/

Worldwide MasterCard acceptance
You can use your card at over 27 million locations around the world.

Old Oct 29th 2008, 4:45 am
ABCDiamond

Depending on how much you spend on a card, the ANZ rewards card may be worthwhile.

It has an annual fee of about $78, but we get about $150 cashback every year, so we end up being paid to have a credit card

Old Oct 29th 2008, 8:07 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Budgie
Virgin did a credit card over here which was free and also has a long payback period. Unfortunately, they stopped doing them for new customers earlier this year - guess they couldn't have been making much out of the service!- so it's no longer available.
They no longer offer mortgages either. I think the credit crunch bit them.