Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Credit Card Scam

Credit Card Scam

Old Nov 19th 2004, 2:37 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Credit Card Scam

Nothing to with Australia but thought I'd share this. Someone sent it around the office earlier:

Just been warned about this, and could potentially be financially fatal so close to Christmas.

Please pass on to all people on your mailing list. I got this from a contact in the Halifax Visa team so it is happening!!

Visa and MasterCard Scam. A friend was called on the telephone this week from 'VISA' and I was called on Thursday from 'MasterCard'.

It worked like this: Person calling says, 'this is Carl Patterson (any name) and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA.
My Badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. Did you purchase an
Anti-Telemarketing Company a device/any expensive item, for £497.99 from a marketing company based in (any town?)

When you say 'No'. The caller continues with, 'Then we will be issuing a credit to your Account. This is a company we have been
watching and the charges range from £297 To £497, just under the £500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the
credit will be sent to (they give you your address), is that correct?'

You say, 'Yes'. The caller continues . 'I will be starting a fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 0800
number listed on your card and ask for Security. You will need to refer to this Control number. They then give you a 6-digit number. 'Do you
need me to read it again?

Caller then says he 'needs to verify you are in possession of your
card' (this is where the scam takes place as up until now they have requested nothing!). They then ask you to turn your card over.

There are 7numbers; the first 4 are 1234 (or whatever, as they have your number anyway).

The next 3 are the security numbers that verify that you are in possession of the card' (these are the numbers they are really after as
these are the numbers you use to make internet purchases to prove you have the card).

'Read me the 3 numbers.' When you do he says 'That is correct. I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you
still have your card. Do you have any other questions?

Don't hesitate to call back if you do.'

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we telephoned back
within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA security department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a
new purchase of £497.99 WAS put on our card. Long story made short.

We made a real fraud report and closed the VISA card and they are reissuing us a new number. What the scam wants is the 3-digit number and
that once the charge goes through, they keep changing every few days. By the time you get your statement, you think the credit is coming, and
then it's harder to actually file a fraud report.

THE REAL VISA/MASTERCARD DEPARTMENT REINFORCED THE POINT THAT THEY WILL NEVER ASK FOR ANYTHING ABOUT THE CARD SINCE THEY ALREADY KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!!!!.

What makes this even more remarkable is that on Thursday a friend of mine got a call from 'Jason Richardson of MasterCard' with a word for
word repeat of the VISA Scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up. We filed a police report (as instructed by VISA), and they said
they are taking several of these reports daily and to tell friends, relatives and co-workers so please pass this on to your friends................
Old Nov 19th 2004, 3:18 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Credit Card Scam

I've heard about this one as well. Pays to be a bit careful, I have to say up until I read the email I had warning me of this scam I would of given my details over without even thinking certainly won't though now in the future!

Sasha
Old Nov 19th 2004, 3:48 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks I have passed this on to a few people.

Lynn
Old Nov 19th 2004, 4:56 pm
Cotswolds to Perth

Fremantleraider will become famous soon enough

Nice post!

i have passed this to work and friends

FremantleRaider
Old Nov 19th 2004, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

I've been sent this warning too. Just a thought - could it be a spoof
Old Nov 19th 2004, 10:42 pm
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

How weird I have had the same warning today in the office.
It is scary though to think that someone could take money from you like that - suppose it technology for us all.

Another issue I have to mention is that when filling out forms etc be careful when putting your bank details on them cos apparently you dont have to sign a direct debit mandate now in order for someone to set up a DD on your account. :scared:

Ang
Old Nov 20th 2004, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

alamo is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice eh !

My work also sent out an email to us for a mob fone scam. Goes as follows.

"hi this is your mobile fone co. we are checking for coverage/security/details of whatever in your area"

they will then ask you to press a couple of keys so an engineer can call you back to verify all is ok

what you actually do is give them info to clone your fone and make calls against your credit

hang up if you get a call from someone you dont know or if you werent expecting one

Alamo
Old Nov 20th 2004, 2:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
Nothing to with Australia but thought I'd share this. Someone sent it around the office earlier:

Just been warned about this, and could potentially be financially fatal so close to Christmas.

Please pass on to all people on your mailing list. I got this from a contact in the Halifax Visa team so it is happening!!

Visa and MasterCard Scam. A friend was called on the telephone this week from 'VISA' and I was called on Thursday from 'MasterCard'.

It worked like this: Person calling says, 'this is Carl Patterson (any name) and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA.
My Badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. Did you purchase an
Anti-Telemarketing Company a device/any expensive item, for £497.99 from a marketing company based in (any town?)
Calls like this are based on the pattern of *real* verification calls that banks do make.

One way to find out if a call like this is genuine is ask to hang up (before giving out any information) and ring back via the number printed on the back of your card or shown on your statement. Not any number they give you.

That's a simple verification technique used in a whole range of situations. The bank, if genuine, won't mind you doing this. They'll probably be pleased.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Nov 20th 2004 at 2:32 am.
Old Nov 20th 2004, 4:53 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Calls like this are based on the pattern of *real* verification calls that banks do make.

One way to find out if a call like this is genuine is ask to hang up (before giving out any information) and ring back via the number printed on the back of your card or shown on your statement. Not any number they give you.

That's a simple verification technique used in a whole range of situations. The bank, if genuine, won't mind you doing this. They'll probably be pleased.

Jeremy

I worked for a bank in the UK and had numerous people asking me to identify myself when I called them; I was always genuine so could quite happily quote anything for them (once I'd ID'd them of course!).. Suprising though was just how many people were happy to discuss their banking details without requesting I ID myself first. It makes it very easy for the scammers to make money if you don't.
I even got the Vodafone guy to verify himself when he called me about my account once - probably a bit OTT, but the habit sticks!!