Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Credit Card Debt

Credit Card Debt

Old Apr 29th 2008, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

nigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nice
Default Re: Credit Card Debt

Originally Posted by xzibit
Wow lol.

I would feel guilty leaving for Australia and leaving £1 of debt on my credit card.

Purposly getting in debt, then not paying it off though? Similar sort of person that would steal from their own grandmother no doubt. Dishonest low-lifes tbqfh!
hardly the same !!

i dont condone peeps doing a runner on depts.

but on the other hand you can kinda understand the 10% of people who will do this,they may think the banks are robbers with the amount of interest charged over periods of time.

if you borrow an amount of money off your grandmother as a loan your gonna pay it back obviously.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 11:34 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rockitman
2 quick questions:

If you found a fiver in the street would you go and hand it in?
If someone gives you too much change in a shop do you hand it back?
I would. Call me crazy but I do actually correct salespeople when they give me to much change. I've done it quite a few times actually, it's not my money so I shouldn't keep it.

Finding bills on the street is fairly rare but if I did find one I would certainly ask the people around me to see if it belonged to anyone.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

2 quick questions:

If you found a fiver in the street would you go and hand it in?
If someone gives you too much change in a shop do you hand it back?
Not really comparing like with like.

Would you leave a shop without paying?
Would you buy stuff on your credit card and later not pay off what you owe?
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:15 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nick11
Debts are written off after 7 years - but 7 years is an awful long time.
Its 6 years not 7. If after the 6 year period there has been no contact either from the debtor to the creditor or the other way round then the debt becomes statute barred and no longer enforcable.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

nigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nice

only 2 years to go then !!!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

rockitman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nick11
Not really comparing like with like.

Would you leave a shop without paying?
Would you buy stuff on your credit card and later not pay off what you owe?
Your right, it's not really comparing like with like. Another example of not comparing like with like would be:

Credit Card Fraud - Stealing money from a faceless corporation
Stealing from your grandma - Stealing from an individual

I'm not saying I condone this or that I would ever do it. I'm just being the devil's advocate!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Credit Card Debt

As I have said before:

Call me old fashioned but I thought honesty was the best policy........

The very concept and notion of doing what the OP is suggesting is totally abhorrent.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Credit Card Debt

<Edit>

Oh, and for your information Australia_bound? I think you’ll find pity is spelt with a single “t”. Best sharpen up your English skills or you won’t going anywhere champ.
Your right, it's not really comparing like with like.
<Edit>
Knob.

First you criticize a poster and then put Your as opposed to You're.

Quid pro quo.

Last edited by Nice Guy; Apr 29th 2008 at 12:39 pm. Reason: Another spilling mistake
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
As I have said before:

Call me old fashioned but I thought honesty was the best policy........

The very concept and notion of doing what the OP is suggesting is totally abhorrent.
You are completely correct honesty is the best policy.

Not everyone is completely honest though are they. As I've just posted on the immigration board I've run several businesses in my life and never not paid a bill or person, and one of those businesses didn't turn a profit in 3 years. There have been plenty of people who haven't paid me though.

I don't want to get off on the wrong foot here (LOL) and have everyone think I am a thief. I'm not. Although you don't know it I'm sure my reputation, both personal & business is exceptional.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:48 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nigel and wendy
only 2 years to go then !!!
You can look up the statute barred laws on martin lewis money saver website I think its somewhere within the debt forums.

I was one of the lucky ones I got away with £4k from midland bank. A loan I had from them was being repaid monthly. Then they changed from Midland Bank to HSBC and their computer glitch meant they 'lost' my account details and they said they would write to me with further instructions on how to keep repaying. They never did. I never heard a thing till over 7 years later I had letters from a debt collection agency wanting the money. I contacted citizens advice they said the debt had become statute barred and gave me a template letter to give to the debt collector when they came calling. The debt collector came round and when I gave him the letter from citizens advice he said he knew it was statute barred and his company buys these debts for a few pence but their policy was to harrass people into paying up because not many debtors knew about the statute barred law
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perksy
You can look up the statute barred laws on martin lewis money saver website I think its somewhere within the debt forums.

I was one of the lucky ones I got away with £4k from midland bank. A loan I had from them was being repaid monthly. Then they changed from Midland Bank to HSBC and their computer glitch meant they 'lost' my account details and they said they would write to me with further instructions on how to keep repaying. They never did. I never heard a thing till over 7 years later I had letters from a debt collection agency wanting the money. I contacted citizens advice they said the debt had become statute barred and gave me a template letter to give to the debt collector when they came calling. The debt collector came round and when I gave him the letter from citizens advice he said he knew it was statute barred and his company buys these debts for a few pence but their policy was to harrass people into paying up because not many debtors knew about the statute barred law
So you even cost the debt collector money? lol.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Knob.

First you criticize a poster and then put Your as opposed to You're.

Quid pro quo.
Fair enough, you got me. LOL
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by perksy

good point and will probably help someone..........but i was joking !!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nigel and wendy
good point and will probably help someone..........but i was joking !!
lol, You've done it now lol
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:55 pm
Cad and bounder

Yep it cost the debt collector but I'm sure he wasn't that bothered because I'm sure somewhere he got his money from someone who wasn't clued up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.