Reload this Page >

Credit Card Debt

Credit Card Debt

Old Apr 29th 2008, 7:58 am
Just Joined

rockitman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Credit Card Debt

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Thanks to those who actually answered the question for me. I am currently in a OK position financially, but like most people I could do with a few extra dollars in the bank...

I was actually more interested in:

How they would track you down?
What would the procedure be if they caught you? Pay it back at £50 a month for the rest of eternity like the UK?
Is this a serious enough offence to lead to your visa being revoked if you’ve attempted to pay it back but got behind?

The reason I ask this is a few years ago my best friend took out some loans / credit cards before he went out on a working holiday visa and he got away with it. He was advising me to do it this time as he rung them and told them where he was living and got them to call him there to verify it but they didn’t chase the debt and this was with a multinational (HSBC).

For those who took the p*ss, yet another message board clique is it? First post and you've already got some tools (surprisingly senior members and a moderator) making “in” jokes. Nice way to welcome people to the board.

Oh, and for your information Australia_bound? I think you’ll find pity is spelt with a single “t”. Best sharpen up your English skills or you won’t going anywhere champ.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:02 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rockitman
Thanks to those who actually answered the question for me. I am currently in a OK position financially, but like most people I could do with a few extra dollars in the bank...

I was actually more interested in:

How they would track you down?
What would the procedure be if they caught you? Pay it back at £50 a month for the rest of eternity like the UK?
Is this a serious enough offence to lead to your visa being revoked if you’ve attempted to pay it back but got behind?

The reason I ask this is a few years ago my best friend took out some loans / credit cards before he went out on a working holiday visa and he got away with it. He was advising me to do it this time as he rung them and told them where he was living and got them to call him there to verify it but they didn’t chase the debt and this was with a multinational (HSBC).

For those who took the p*ss, yet another message board clique is it? First post and you've already got some tools (surprisingly senior members and a moderator) making “in” jokes. Nice way to welcome people to the board.

Oh, and for your information Australia_bound? I think you’ll find pity is spelt with a single “t”. Best sharpen up your English skills or you won’t going anywhere champ.

First rate Tosser!!!

Mate, you definitely win the award for biggest tool that I have come across this year!!! Keep it up, you'll last all of............................the next few minutes!

Plonker!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, i dont think there is a need to get into a fight here. I believe that the OP posted a bit of a naive question but without trying to wind anyone up.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Guys, i dont think there is a need to get into a fight here. I believe that the OP posted a bit of a naive question but without trying to wind anyone up.
I think you believe wrong Nige - read his last post! He's here to cause trouble!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
I think you believe wrong Nige - read his last post! He's here to cause trouble!
I did read it. I think there have been a few replies by people who really took offence to what the OP was suggesting of doing. He was wrong but no need to get carried away.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:13 am

I did read it. I think there have been a few replies by people who really took offence to what the OP was suggesting of doing. He was wrong but no need to get carried away.
No? The man is suggesting that he take out debts and loans etc....and then, do one!

That OK then is it? In my book it makes him a thief!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
No? The man is suggesting that he take out debts and loans etc....and then, do one!

That OK then is it? In my book it makes him a thief!
I never said it was ok. He was asking for opinions on it. I dont think he came on here to wind people up. He's just very naive. He asked if he'd be able to get away with it. Thats very naive if you ask me. But not a wind up.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Currently getting my skills assessment together and was wondering...

If you were to rack up a mountain of credit card debt or loans in the UK before you emmigrate how would they go about tracking you down in Austraila?

Could this affect your visa in anyway?

Thanks,

RM
My sis is a top boss at experian and has first hand knowledge of this.
Yes they can trace you but will probably not for less than 5 grand. However they may sell the debt onto a third party, who may come after you.
Also there are increasingly complex methods that companies are using to trace you - it isn't beyond the bounds of possibility for them to find after you.
She reeled off a few companies who will chase you no matter what.
Is it really worth the sleepless nights?
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nick11
I think thats it at the end of the day. Money might get you started but its not everything. And even if its less than 5 grand, they'll get you when you come back probably.

The OP's friend said he wasnt caught...... yet!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:35 am
Just Joined

rockitman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nick11
My sis is a top boss at experian and has first hand knowledge of this.
Yes they can trace you but will probably not for less than 5 grand. However they may sell the debt onto a third party, who may come after you.
Also there are increasingly complex methods that companies are using to trace you - it isn't beyond the bounds of possibility for them to find after you.
She reeled off a few companies who will chase you no matter what.
Thanks Nick, that is exactly what I was looking for. Would it lead to you getting deported though?

Fluffy, I'm not here to make trouble, I'm just asking questions. I used to run a messageboard myself many moons ago and I was never partial to the clique's that formed and usually pushed new people away. That's why I went on the offensive. I will have lots more questions over the coming months to do with my migration and very few will have anything to do with financial matters.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You got the response you did because the number of time BE gets poster who's first and very often last post is exactly what you posted. You'll find the welcome works both ways. Most people like to come on and either introduce themselves or start off with harmless posts. Nothing cliquey about it. You may be totally legit, if so may I suggest, as you appear to know your way around a message board, you use the search facility and see the responses the other posters have had after asking the same question.

Personally, I cannot imagine in a month of sundays even thinking of the question, let alone asking about it in public. I would be too embarrassed to admit I was contemplating breaking the law. All manner of law enforcement, immigration departments, and other 'official' departments view these boards and it doesn't take a rocket scientist for them to find out who people are.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

winedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to behold

You got the response you did because the number of time BE gets poster who's first and very often last post is exactly what you posted. You'll find the welcome works both ways. Most people like to come on and either introduce themselves or start off with harmless posts. Nothing cliquey about it. You may be totally legit, if so may I suggest, as you appear to know your way around a message board, you use the search facility and see the responses the other posters have had after asking the same question.

Personally, I cannot imagine in a month of sundays even thinking of the question, let alone asking about it in public. I would be too embarrassed to admit I was contemplating breaking the law. All manner of law enforcement, immigration departments, and other 'official' departments view these boards and it doesn't take a rocket scientist for them to find out who people are.
well said.....and very true!!!!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:43 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

There was no need for the personal insults either.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

I think these boards are designed to protect your identity should yo wish to want it protecting. He's not actually said that he's going to break the law or that he has broken the law.

Its a bit of negative post but he's entitled to ask it as this is a message board. Maybe his next question will be under a different username. But these posts could be used to explain the implications of these things very clearly for people who might be in desperate situations financially.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

winedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to behold

I think these boards are designed to protect your identity should yo wish to want it protecting. He's not actually said that he's going to break the law or that he has broken the law.

Its a bit of negative post but he's entitled to ask it as this is a message board. Maybe his next question will be under a different username. But these posts could be used to explain the implications of these things very clearly for people who might be in desperate situations financially.
however desperate a situation, it doesn't give you the right to break the law!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.