Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Credit on a 457: My experience

Credit on a 457: My experience

Old Jun 6th 2012, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

rld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud of
Default Credit on a 457: My experience

I have been in Melbourne since mid March and though i would share my experiences re getting credit here in case it helps others.

After some effort I have two platinum cards with 15K limits and took out a 15k personal loan as a buffer to avoid the need to trx any funds from the UK or USA.

In both cases, I managed this by visiting banks in person (one I work for, which helped, and the other was WestPac) and asking to speak to a manager when initially declined. In the case of the loan, I was declined twice and then approved after providing them with: copies of UK and USA banks accounts and trading accounts and getting certified HR copies of my payslips and salary package.

Each time you apply for credit on Australia it 'shows up' - so your best bet is to decide what banks or banks you want to secure credit from, swamp them with evidence, and push to talk to more senior people. I got around the multiple checking 'flags' by noting I was not familiar with the Oz system (which was true at the time) and putting in writing I did NOT take out credit from other banks re a personal loan (took out one only). What is strange about the systems here is they can see your applications, but not if you have credit or not. So someone that applies for 10 credit cards and takes on none of them, looks similar to someone that made ten apps and took out 10 cards!

One reason loans and/or cards here are good to secure ASAP is each time you use a foreign card you will get trx fees. Many cards here also provide airmiles which is also useful over time. Finally, the AUS moves around a fair amount - just in the last couple weeks it has lost 8%+ to the USA Dollar so you are likely better off matching your liabilities to the local currency.

Even if you manage the above like I did, get ready to be turned down on other things. I tried to get a blackberry recently, and despite being on 160K I was told I was declined due to 'secret criteria' from Telstra - the lady in the shop was shocked given my salary so it just shows credit here is really tricky. In the end I am on 160K with a 'pay as you go' phone - funny situation but it is what it is.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 3:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit on a 457: My experience

Originally Posted by rld1177
I tried to get a blackberry recently, and despite being on 160K I was told I was declined due to 'secret criteria' from Telstra - the lady in the shop was shocked given my salary so it just shows credit here is really tricky. In the end I am on 160K with a 'pay as you go' phone - funny situation but it is what it is.
Secret criteria my a*se. Its cos you're on a temp visa. They don't like to give contracts on smartphones unless you are PR. Thats not to say its impossible, but they don't like doing it.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

rld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Secret criteria my a*se. Its cos you're on a temp visa. They don't like to give contracts on smartphones unless you are PR. Thats not to say its impossible, but they don't like doing it.
Clearly. Ironically, I even offered to pay via debit the 2200$ contract total (I wanted a good blackberry and the monthly plan was good) and call it a day, but they said that was 'against policy'. Strange because once the contract ends you keep the phone I would have thought they'd win out on that one - getting all the money up front.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rld1177
I have been in Melbourne since mid March and though i would share my experiences re getting credit here in case it helps others.

After some effort I have two platinum cards with 15K limits and took out a 15k personal loan as a buffer to avoid the need to trx any funds from the UK or USA.

In both cases, I managed this by visiting banks in person (one I work for, which helped, and the other was WestPac) and asking to speak to a manager when initially declined. In the case of the loan, I was declined twice and then approved after providing them with: copies of UK and USA banks accounts and trading accounts and getting certified HR copies of my payslips and salary package.

Each time you apply for credit on Australia it 'shows up' - so your best bet is to decide what banks or banks you want to secure credit from, swamp them with evidence, and push to talk to more senior people. I got around the multiple checking 'flags' by noting I was not familiar with the Oz system (which was true at the time) and putting in writing I did NOT take out credit from other banks re a personal loan (took out one only). What is strange about the systems here is they can see your applications, but not if you have credit or not. So someone that applies for 10 credit cards and takes on none of them, looks similar to someone that made ten apps and took out 10 cards!

One reason loans and/or cards here are good to secure ASAP is each time you use a foreign card you will get trx fees. Many cards here also provide airmiles which is also useful over time. Finally, the AUS moves around a fair amount - just in the last couple weeks it has lost 8%+ to the USA Dollar so you are likely better off matching your liabilities to the local currency.

Even if you manage the above like I did, get ready to be turned down on other things. I tried to get a blackberry recently, and despite being on 160K I was told I was declined due to 'secret criteria' from Telstra - the lady in the shop was shocked given my salary so it just shows credit here is really tricky. In the end I am on 160K with a 'pay as you go' phone - funny situation but it is what it is.
secret criteria obviously aren't applied to all. I got a contract phone from Telstra within 8hrs of arriving in Australia on a 457 Visa.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bingobob777
secret criteria obviously aren't applied to all. I got a contract phone from Telstra within 8hrs of arriving in Australia on a 457 Visa.
How with no credit rating? Well done at any rate!!
Old Jun 6th 2012, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

ScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Me too. HTC 4g on Telstra not quiet in 8 hrs though.

Applied for TFN online whilst i waited for my pickup at the airport, it arrived within 6 days. Got my medicare card which arrived within a week, drivers license followed and then i was good to go.

HSBC Premier even had a Credit card and bank account waiting for me.

Crap bank but great for setting up new accounts etc as soon as you land somewhere.