Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Old Nov 10th 2010, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Originally Posted by jtct
We're flying A380 (singapore airlines) in January! No worries - the SIA engines are a different spec to Qantas even though they are both made by Rolls Royce. SIA obviously use Marmite!
Does anyone know about the Emirates A380 Engines? Thinking of booking with them for June. I am a really nervous flyer and this latest news doesn't really help!
Old Nov 10th 2010, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

jtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Does anyone know about the Emirates A380 Engines? Thinking of booking with them for June. I am a really nervous flyer and this latest news doesn't really help!
I'm sure you'll be OK - these planes can fly on 2 engines if necessary! Supposed to be one of the safest and certainly most comfortable (we've had 4 trips on the A380 and are going again in January).

Quotes:
In general, the fire safety standards set by Airbus for its aircraft, including the A380, not only meet but in most cases exceed the existing JAA and FAA requirements
Old Nov 10th 2010, 4:33 pm

K and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really nice

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Hi,
Emirates and Air France use a different type of engine to Singapore, Qantas and Lufthansa, they use an Alliance which is a joint partnership between General Electric and Pratt and Whitney, both American engines.

I take the view that the Rolls Royce option is a better one as every aircraft has now been checked thoroughly by the engineers.

It is still theoretically more dangerous to get the taxi to the airport than the flight itself, I can understand being nervous but a glass of good wine before the flight will relax you
Old Nov 10th 2010, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

ileay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sandch
We're looking forward to our Singapore Air A380 flight next week powered as it will be by quality Rolls Royce Trent engines which may or may not be attached to the plane at all times. Qantas has angrily rejected the suggestion that its own A380 engines were being lubricated with Vegemite instead of the recommended oil. This rumour would explain the rapid deterioration, but is probably unfounded.

The time has come Steve so all the very best to you and your family. The start of an exciting new beginning. I will be flying out on the 2nd December so we will both have a fabulous (hot ) Christmas with our families. Way to go.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

coloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nice

Originally Posted by junejuno

The time has come Steve so all the very best to you and your family. The start of an exciting new beginning. I will be flying out on the 2nd December so we will both have a fabulous (hot ) Christmas with our families. Way to go.
Two weeks Sunday we are setting out with Emirates. We've never flown with them before and we feel a little guilty deserting our favourite Singapore Airlines but we got a deal we couldn't turn down. I'm just worried about our baggage allowance since we seem to have rather a lot more stuff than I planned. Also with all the lovely Christmas stuff out in the shops I have found it virtually irresistible. Does anyone know how strict Emirates are? For instance, we can generally get away with 25 kg with Singapore. We've got 40 kg each this time but inspite of this I feel sure that we will be over.

Good luck to everyone getting ready for the one way trip. Hope to meet some of you on the other side!
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

pemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by junejuno

We are flying out on the 30 November with Emirates and hoping for an upgrade of the aircraft to the A380. Doubt it will happen. Then we have to return on the 31 December . Hopefully everything goes brilliantly for all concerned on this tortuous trail and we are ourselves heading to Perth permanently for Xmas 2011.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:57 pm

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coloneldube
Two weeks Sunday we are setting out with Emirates. We've never flown with them before and we feel a little guilty deserting our favourite Singapore Airlines but we got a deal we couldn't turn down. I'm just worried about our baggage allowance since we seem to have rather a lot more stuff than I planned. Also with all the lovely Christmas stuff out in the shops I have found it virtually irresistible. Does anyone know how strict Emirates are? For instance, we can generally get away with 25 kg with Singapore. We've got 40 kg each this time but inspite of this I feel sure that we will be over.

Good luck to everyone getting ready for the one way trip. Hope to meet some of you on the other side!
You can leave the Vegemite behind as you can get that in Oz

Matt
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by sandch
We're looking forward to our Singapore Air A380 flight next week powered as it will be by quality Rolls Royce Trent engines which may or may not be attached to the plane at all times. Qantas has angrily rejected the suggestion that its own A380 engines were being lubricated with Vegemite instead of the recommended oil. This rumour would explain the rapid deterioration, but is probably unfounded.

Looks like by the time we go in 2011 all the A380s will be sorted which is good. They are all switching to Bovril as it sustains the higher temperatures!!

Matt
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

I'm sure you'll be OK - these planes can fly on 2 engines if necessary! Supposed to be one of the safest and certainly most comfortable (we've had 4 trips on the A380 and are going again in January).

Quotes:
In general, the fire safety standards set by Airbus for its aircraft, including the A380, not only meet but in most cases exceed the existing JAA and FAA requirements
Thanks for the reassurance!
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by K and M
Hi,
Emirates and Air France use a different type of engine to Singapore, Qantas and Lufthansa, they use an Alliance which is a joint partnership between General Electric and Pratt and Whitney, both American engines.

I take the view that the Rolls Royce option is a better one as every aircraft has now been checked thoroughly by the engineers.

It is still theoretically more dangerous to get the taxi to the airport than the flight itself, I can understand being nervous but a glass of good wine before the flight will relax you
Common sense and statistics tell me this as well. We have lived and travelled around the world with hubby's job and so I have flown quite a lot and it never used to bother me. Seems to have got worse got as I have got older, don't know why. There will definitely be one or two glasses!
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

We have usually flown with Emirates and have sometimes been slightly over, but never had a problem. Good luck with everything! Must be exciting and scary at the same time.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:46 pm

Quotes:
The 1st statement is true if the engines shut down, but if they explode & take half the wing with them its not quite the same! Having been on a military aircraft that had 3 engines shut down, believe you me its scary!

Matt
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Katie1955 is an unknown quantity at this point

wishing everybody who is due to fly to OZ this year the very best of luck, what a fabulous Christmas you'll all have. Hopefully it will not be too long before I to can fly out to Adelaide

Does this mean that there will be fewer Marmite/Vegemite jokes flying around unless we recruit some more ?!/xxxx**** obsessed Marmite/vegemite bods ??

Good luck all

Katie
Old Nov 10th 2010, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Barbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to all

Hi everyone,

Good luck for the one way trippers! We have booked with Emirates for the second time (they were good Cath and Tone) but from Gatwick you don't go on the A380 which we don't mind really. Unlike Singapore your longest stretch is the second leg, but it is overall a shorter journey.
We go February 24th so it will be our last Christmas in UK to spend with remaining family. We can then look forward to Christmas in July with our girls and boys countdown has begun.

Keep in touch you PIPS and we will arrange that get together in Kings Park.
The very best of good wishes for a happy future to you all.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Barbaran
Hi everyone,

Good luck for the one way trippers! We have booked with Emirates for the second time (they were good Cath and Tone) but from Gatwick you don't go on the A380 which we don't mind really. Unlike Singapore your longest stretch is the second leg, but it is overall a shorter journey.
We go February 24th so it will be our last Christmas in UK to spend with remaining family. We can then look forward to Christmas in July with our girls and boys countdown has begun.

Keep in touch you PIPS and we will arrange that get together in Kings Park.
The very best of good wishes for a happy future to you all.
Who's bringing the VEGEMITE sarnies?

Matt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.