Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Covert Racism! shhhhhhh

Covert Racism! shhhhhhh

Old Dec 23rd 2009, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covert Racism! shhhhhhh

A quick recap, the whole point of this discussion is that :

1- You know what discrimination is so learn to hate it.
2- You might be the next so see something? say something.

Cheers,
PS. I appreciate Ren's post - nice/real world example.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 8:54 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barbitana
I and many others posting here were beaten with it
Beaten with an umbrella? With or without consent?
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute

http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=umbrella

Noun

S: (n) umbrella (a lightweight handheld collapsible canopy)
S: (n) umbrella (a formation of military planes maintained over ground operations or targets) "an air umbrella over England"
S: (n) umbrella (having the function of uniting a group of similar things) "the Democratic Party is an umbrella for many liberal groups"; "under the umbrella of capitalism"
Adjective

S: (adj) umbrella (covering or applying simultaneously to a number of similar items or elements or groups) "an umbrella organization"; "umbrella insurance coverage"

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Beaten with an umbrella? With or without consent?
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 9:03 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=umbrella

Noun

S: (n) umbrella (a lightweight handheld collapsible canopy)
S: (n) umbrella (a formation of military planes maintained over ground operations or targets) "an air umbrella over England"
S: (n) umbrella (having the function of uniting a group of similar things) "the Democratic Party is an umbrella for many liberal groups"; "under the umbrella of capitalism"
Adjective

S: (adj) umbrella (covering or applying simultaneously to a number of similar items or elements or groups) "an umbrella organization"; "umbrella insurance coverage"
So the umbrella beater also beat you with a dictionary? With or without consent?
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Just cross your fingers that the same thing never ever happens to you buddy - doesnt taste good at all

So the umbrella beater also beat you with a dictionary? With or without consent?
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 9:09 am
Banned

Just cross your fingers that the same thing never ever happens to you buddy - doesnt taste good at all
You were beaten with an umbrella and licked the dictionary? With or without consent?
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

It is possible to define black as being light of all colours (ie white) and white as being no light of any colour (ie black), true. But is it? Where is it written in English Law that discrimination by national origins, for example, is racial discrimination?

Am I missing something here?

Someone here said that white British cannot be racist against white Aussie because they are both white???

What? Of course they can!!

Racist does not allude to colour but to race: English Vs Aussie or other....

Isn't this the correct understanding??

If you extend my definition of race, you could have a black English or black Aussie, but still English or Aussie as race?

It seems some people are so hung up about their colour??

Colour makes you nothing...

About India and/China comments, I know how much the Chinese girls like White male, (maybe another can of worm, but can we add this to the discussion here??) and is this not an indication of racist act by the Chinese girls?

My race? English!
(But please don't hold it against me )
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 11:28 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Syedney

Someone here said that white British cannot be racist against white Aussie because they are both white???

If you extend my definition of race, you could have a black English or black Aussie, but still English or Aussie as race?

About India and/China comments, I know how much the Chinese girls like White male, (maybe another can of worm, but can we add this to the discussion here??) and is this not an indication of racist act by the Chinese girls?

My race? English!
I agree. In this day and age, race has to go beyond the basic races that exist. Most accept that.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree. Racism is between races, discrimination is between nations. UK or Australia does not contain one race but rather one nation.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 9:09 pm
Banned

My race? English!
Here is the meaning of the word race.

"English" means you are a subject of the dominion of England. You could be any race.

The classification of people by race is sufficiently imprecise as to be near useless for the purposes of determining if inequitable discrimination has occured.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 9:15 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by kporte
I agree. In this day and age, race has to go beyond the basic races that exist. Most accept that.
That might be the case in England where the peoples vocabulary is limited so that many forms of inequitable discrimination are labelled racism for want of a more appropriate word.

It is not the case in Australia where the people have a larger vocabulary.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

That might be the case in England where the peoples vocabulary is limited so that many forms of inequitable discrimination are labelled racism for want of a more appropriate word.

Attached Thumbnails Covert Racism! shhhhhhh-hot-air.jpg  
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 9:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by kporte
Might I suggest the word "parachute"?

Umbrella would be inappropriate and inadequate.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

kooga is on a distinguished road

Thought i would throw in my 2 cents worth.First of all discrimination is an act not a "thougth" process. Australia is obliged under the Human rights Act 1998 to treat races equally. The Act also classes religion as a "race"
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 9:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by kooga
Thought i would throw in my 2 cents worth.First of all discrimination is an act not a "thougth" process. Australia is obliged under the Human rights Act 1998 to treat races equally. The Act also classes religion as a "race"
Australia does not legislate against thought processes, only acts.

Australia is not obliged in any way under the British Human Rights Act 1998.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.