Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

countdown emigrating in Feb - SO SCARED!!!!!!

countdown emigrating in Feb - SO SCARED!!!!!!

Old Nov 27th 2011, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

-Marie- is on a distinguished road
Unhappy countdown emigrating in Feb - SO SCARED!!!!!!

WELL here we are finally on the last stretch, the sprint section after many many many months of nothing we are now on the last 9 or 10 weeks before we get on the plane for good and how am i feeling?? welll this may sum it up - aaaaasrrrgggggg oh my god what the hell am i doing this for??

now isnt it funny that there are times when your determination and focus for emigrating is so clear and yet now we are nearly there and this is all my family and i have dreamed of for such a long time and now of all moments i am having a wobble.

i want to go without a doubt but i am so scared, scared of failing, scared of it being wrong and scared of being brave.

anyone like to be "brave" and tell me how you get through these last weeks without going insane?

marie
Old Nov 27th 2011, 8:21 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: countdown emigrating in Feb - SO SCARED!!!!!!

Originally Posted by -Marie-
WELL here we are finally on the last stretch, the sprint section after many many many months of nothing we are now on the last 9 or 10 weeks before we get on the plane for good and how am i feeling?? welll this may sum it up - aaaaasrrrgggggg oh my god what the hell am i doing this for??

now isnt it funny that there are times when your determination and focus for emigrating is so clear and yet now we are nearly there and this is all my family and i have dreamed of for such a long time and now of all moments i am having a wobble.

i want to go without a doubt but i am so scared, scared of failing, scared of it being wrong and scared of being brave.

anyone like to be "brave" and tell me how you get through these last weeks without going insane?

marie
It's better to have those weeks of going insane than not to have them, in my opinion. My OH was already over here, he is an Aussie, I got my visa granted over in UK, only had to wait a couple of weeks in those days, anyway, a few days after it was granted and several weeks before I was going to move over, my OH had a couple of bad seizures (he is epileptic), he was living on his own at the time, so my daughter and I got on the first available flight and 2 days letter were here in Australia. No time for goodbyes to friends, family, places etc.

My advice is use your time well to do all the things that you think you might regret not having done, but all with a positive slant, that you are moving into a new and exciting chapter in all of your lives! You're giving your kids a real opportunity, not that life is better here than in Britain, but it certainly broadens their horizons and gives them a host of new life experiences.

Good luck with all the arrangements and just keep in mind your original motivations in applying for visas.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Boo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really niceBoo2008 is just really nice

Marie!!!

Be my new friend!! I am also going in Feb and having all the weird/scary feelings that go with that

It's like all my energy the last few years has gone into this application and now that I can go I'm a bit lost haha!!

It's a strange time alright and I find myself turning to this forum A LOT!! Hopefully we can laugh our way through it together....

Good luck Dude!!

Boo
Old Nov 27th 2011, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Boo2008
Marie!!!

Be my new friend!! I am also going in Feb and having all the weird/scary feelings that go with that

It's like all my energy the last few years has gone into this application and now that I can go I'm a bit lost haha!!

It's a strange time alright and I find myself turning to this forum A LOT!! Hopefully we can laugh our way through it together....

Good luck Dude!!

Boo
I agree with taking timeout to do those things you will miss, go visit people and places, take pics, talk to elderly members of your family about family stories and be kind to yourself.

If you have a list of things still to do, ask for help, take each thing one at a time, gradually it will all fall into place. The wobbles are normal, I have moved countries a couple of times now and even the last time coming home was still an anxious time.

Allowing yourself time to adjust to the changes is crucial, there will be a few things that have to be done both sides but then you need to take a few days to relax and wind down to get over the stress of it all.

Good luck with the move,
Old Nov 27th 2011, 10:21 pm

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

You can't be brave unless you are scared

What you are doing is huge, and you are one of a minority with the guts to go through with it. Relax into the adrenalin.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 10:31 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

You're moving from one first world country to another. What can seriously go wrong. Inconveniences may befall you but that's it. Enjoy it. Get it into perspective! No reason to be scared at all. Good luck
Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:34 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Marie, from a fellow Derbyshire expat!

If its any consolation, I am going home for a visit after 22 years, and I am as apprehensive right now as you are!

Don't worry about life in Oz, as people have pointed out, it's just another first world country, and it's not such a bad place. I can't guarantee that you will love it, but you won't be eaten by the locals!

I won't be here when you arrive, as my work will dump me on another remote island in the middle of nowhere, but if you are in Sydney in April drop me a PM and catch up.

Ross
Old Nov 28th 2011, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

THANKYOU for all of your replies i know not much can go wrong but im still scared of forgetting to do something - no idea what as ive used the BE sticky list but im sure theres something.

just wanted to know that i am "normal" feeling like this

thanks

marie
Old Nov 28th 2011, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

GoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really nice

Yes, you are normal feeling like this, and would not be normal if you didn't.

I have been planning the move for 3 years and pushing and pushing for redundancy from my employer so that I could then implement the plan. When I got the news I wanted, and had my redundancy confirmed in September, it was then time to organise shipping, flights, accomodation, farewell parties, etc. Then....... I started to crap my pants and for most of the time recently there was always doubts, and exactly the same thought you had ("what have I done"). (I suppose the weirdest bit was having our goods shipped across early October and sleeping on blow-up-mattresses for 5 weeks, it was like Glastonbury in our front room !!)

Like many people I came out of a secure job, took kids from a safe and happy environment, and moved out of a lovely house in England. So many times I asked myself if it was the right thing, but constantly had to remind myself that

* we live life for the future note the past
* better to regret the things we try, than to regret the things we have never tried

Like everyone else says on this site, it will all work out. The best advice I was given though a few weeks ago is to look at the next year or two being really hard, don't think of this as the land of milk and honey, and then when the positives happen it becomes great. It is the right state of mind you are in to be doubting, because you already know it will be hard, and when the positives happen (and they will) it will feel great !!!

(by the way landed last Saturday and come across with all the concerns in the world. Secured an interview after a few days, and got the job. Got a house to rent on the same day. Suddenly it all feels like it is coming together. I know that I have only been here a week, but this really does feel like home now in a big way)

Good luck, hang in there.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GoodToBeInPerth
Yes, you are normal feeling like this, and would not be normal if you didn't.

I have been planning the move for 3 years and pushing and pushing for redundancy from my employer so that I could then implement the plan. When I got the news I wanted, and had my redundancy confirmed in September, it was then time to organise shipping, flights, accomodation, farewell parties, etc. Then....... I started to crap my pants and for most of the time recently there was always doubts, and exactly the same thought you had ("what have I done"). (I suppose the weirdest bit was having our goods shipped across early October and sleeping on blow-up-mattresses for 5 weeks, it was like Glastonbury in our front room !!)

Like many people I came out of a secure job, took kids from a safe and happy environment, and moved out of a lovely house in England. So many times I asked myself if it was the right thing, but constantly had to remind myself that

* better to regret the things we try, than to regret the things we have never tried

Like everyone else says on this site, it will all work out. The best advice I was given though a few weeks ago is to look at the next year or two being really hard, don't think of this as the land of milk and honey, and then when the positives happen it becomes great. It is the right state of mind you are in to be doubting, because you already know it will be hard, and when the positives happen (and they will) it will feel great !!!

(by the way landed last Saturday and come across with all the concerns in the world. Secured an interview after a few days, and got the job. Got a house to rent on the same day. Suddenly it all feels like it is coming together. I know that I have only been here a week, but this really does feel like home now in a big way)

Good luck, hang in there.
just made me chuckle to myself our removals start their journey to perth on 4th january we leaving here early February out of our house mid jan and kipping on friends floors til we go.... so yeah glastonbury sounds about right.

whereabouts in perth are you? would be great to keep in contact.

if theres anything else u found u had to do that was missing from the BE list of things to do please pass it on.

thanks

marie
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:04 am
Degenerate

lolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by GoodToBeInPerth

Wise words.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 10:18 am
Just Joined

The Wella Fella is an unknown quantity at this point

Be real to yourself....

Why are you actually wanting to move over here to Australia?

Take all the fluff and excitedness out of it and have a reality check, you still have to get a job, you still have to pay the bills, you still have to mow the lawn, sometimes the commute to work is crap, the sun doesn't always shine, the tv is crap, the food IS different, there's no Tesco open 24/7, the beer isn't great, it's expensive to do anything

But hey if you don't try it you'll never know

Good Luck
Old Nov 30th 2011, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Boo2008
Marie!!!

Good luck Dude!!

Boo

Can I be friends too.

After nearly 5 years of shall we, shan't we, we are making the move. Flights booked for January. I am now thinking of everything that could go wrong, so everything that goes right will be a bonus!!!

Good luck to everyone,

JO
Old Nov 30th 2011, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I wish you all a great move over.

Don't worry, be happy.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

wow am so glad its just not me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

am happy to "be friends" with everyone who wants to i think we all need a bit of support through these last few weeks.

anyone who wants to take me up on this pm me

marie

ps. perhaps we can start adding tips for each other under this post, you know if u find something out post it on here in case it helps someone.

eg. remember to check when your uk driving license PHOTOCARD expires!!! juat found mine expires in march and needs to be vALID FOR 12 MONTHS REALLY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.