Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Could someone explain Brisbane for me please

Could someone explain Brisbane for me please

Old Mar 13th 2012, 1:13 pm

Jensanco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Could someone explain Brisbane for me please

Originally Posted by Grayling
Yatala is also easily commutable from The Gold Coast....at least the Northern part.

Redlands Bay or Victoria Point would also be places worth looking at.
Thank you Grayling.

I gave suburbs around North Lakes (Moreton) as an example of trying to find out about what the different areas were called.
We currently don't have a definate job to go out to - there are possible jobs that we're hopeful for but possible isn't definate is it!
So I'm trying to keep an open mind and it's really helpful to know should hubby get the job in Yatala where the nicer suburbs are in the Gold Coast/ Bayside?
Same with Richlands.
An should something come up north of Brisbane in the moreton area it's gonna be really helpful to know the good suburbs there!
Old Mar 13th 2012, 1:17 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensanco
Thanks Asprilla, last comment wasn't directed at you.

I think if he got a job in Yatala the commute from Bayside wouldn't be too bad. just having had a look at the map. Though I've been told to avoid the school in Mount Cotton :$ - there was me thinking the area looked nice but a couple of people have said the school is terrible :$

It is very hard without having a job to go to isn't it?

Thanks Again
Had friends living in Mount Cotton, they love it. Not heard anything about the school. The NAPLAM results look fine - if you go by such things. You can only judge a school by your own personal experiences. A so called great school can and does still fail some children and other children have a brilliant education and social life in a school that others hate.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Shenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Could someone explain Brisbane for me please

One way to find out the suburbs in the different areas is to pick a suburb and type it into realesate.com and pick a house, any house with an address on it and then go to the map of which will show you where the house is and play around with the zoom and as you move further away from the house the suburbs will be named. The site also gives you some information as to teh make up of that suburb. But I guess you will have found out that bit by now.

I would also say that North lakes is a big commute to Yatla. We do find that you either love the north side or hate it and vis-versa with the south side. I have been a long term queenslander(1979) and find I rarely go south of the city. Which is fairly common here if you live south people rarely travel north, they both have very different personalities.

Brisbane council stops at the start of Strathpine eg Bald Hills/ Bracken Ridge and you then move into Pine Rivers council area.

Bracken Ridge has a reasonable rental situation and is very easy access to the highway over the gateway to Yatla. Not sure about the schools though as my children went to Bald Hills and then Morayfield / Caboolture which at that time Caboolture had a good high school.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

JAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really nice

Asprilla I'd love to.
we want to manage with one car if possible so having shops, generally good schools, parks, drs, pharmacy etc all in one area would be ideal.
I quite like the look of the North Lakes area but obviously I need to be realistic hubby wants to avoid an hours commute if he can

Jen
Hi Jen

I would say that if you end up in North Lakes you will definitely need a second car - it is a massive area and most of the house are a long way from the shops, schools etc.

Cheers
Old Mar 13th 2012, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by JAMFC
Hi Jen

I would say that if you end up in North Lakes you will definitely need a second car - it is a massive area and most of the house are a long way from the shops, schools etc.

Cheers
Thank you, I guess living in the UK I'm used to smaller towns, everything in walking distance.
Duly noted
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

When you do a search in Realestate.com there is a map option and you can just zoom out as much as you need. The houses for rent are highlighted.........I find it really useful........
Old Mar 14th 2012, 10:25 am
Just Joined

lkquick is an unknown quantity at this point

Asprilla I'd love to.
We were actually destined for Melbourne for a job but having sold the house we contacted the company hubby would be working for to say we'd sold and would be starting to make arrangements to get out there and did they have an exact date they'd like hubby to start and they replied saying they'd already given the job they'd said would be his on arrival to someone else - was a bit upset as they could have at least emailed to tell us!

Hubby has two possible positions just South of Brisbane? One at Yatala and one in Richlands, but we don't know if we'll find out before we get out there if he has managed to get one or neither of them :$. Not the best situation to be in really but there you go. Hubby is happy to do any job until he can get a position in his area of work but picking up just any job in the UK isn't easy so not sure about Australia.

With an uncertain job position we really don't want to pay more than about $450 per week for a rental, we have 4 children but don't have a problem with 2 of them sharing at least initially so a 4 bed min would be great, don't want an acreage or anything but enough room for the little two to play in the garden would be good.
I know the potential jobs are south of Brisbane but I'm leaning more to the North, I did look up a few schools in the Gold Coast??? area and was shocked really by the reviews for around half of the schools I looked into with comments like the school having serious bullying problems, and the worst one being that there was problems with knives being taken into school :$ and these would have been fairly good commute if hubby were to get the job in Yatala. He would be working shift work for either so perhaps traffic would be less of a problem. ( I appreciate it's only a handful but they would have been the places we'd be looking at commute wise to Yatala that would be a walk to school for the kids.

I'm not daft I know there can be a few louts even in the nice areas, but we'd prefer to live somewhere that is on the whole, family friendly, good infrastructure, we want to manage with one car if possible so having shops, generally good schools, parks, drs, pharmacy etc all in one area would be ideal.
I quite like the look of the North Lakes area but obviously I need to be realistic hubby wants to avoid an hours commute if he can

Jen

We live in Forest Lake which is just south of richlands about 5 mins away, its a really nice area and we like it so far, very easy to get into Brisbane if you need to and quick onto motorway to get to the coast.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lkquick
We live in Forest Lake which is just south of richlands about 5 mins away, its a really nice area and we like it so far, very easy to get into Brisbane if you need to and quick onto motorway to get to the coast.
I like Forest Lake. Been there a few times now, just passing through. Does look really nice.

A bit far from the east of Brisbane though, if you work that side.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

i would say rent somewhere in the city for a couple of weeks and then spend a few days driving around to find out which surburb u like when u get here.By then u will also know where he will be working.Good luck
Old Mar 15th 2012, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
It is confusing because when referring to a city some people think it refers to the city council area, eg Brisbane City Council, when in most official cases the term Brisbane refers to the metro area which is far larger.

Melbourne and Sydney have exactly the same issue but this is mistaken in Brisbane more because the Brisbane City Council includes more suburbs than the Melbourne or Sydney City Councils so it is more obvious in those cities. Brisbane is no different to these cities in that regard.

So unless someone is specifically referring to the Brisbane City Council area, officially the term Brisbane refers to the Brisbane metro area which includes all of the council area's in Kim's link:

Brisbane City Council
Ipswich City Council
Logan City Council
Moreton Bay Regional Council
Redland City Council
Scenic Rim (part)

This means that the Redlands is in Brisbane and so is North Lakes, just not part of the Brisbane City Council.
Nice explanation!

If this indeed incorrect then I can understand the confusion. Of course, what is official is sometimes different to what is reasonable...I know there have been arguments in the past ..but I reckon anything in a vast radius could be Brisbane...most people would reasonably expect that Brisbane is what is metro... (and maybe a few hangers on too...)

Australian cities are big : Pakeham is a country town in VIC, gateway to Gippsland..if you called it Melbourne you'd get away with it in context..!

Parts of Surrey and Kent in the UK are very much 'London'. But they are not London boroughs are they not?

Apologies for not helping the OP in any form...
Old Mar 15th 2012, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Yes, Ipswich City Council. But all Australian capital cities are amalgams of cities in their own right. That's how it works.

From memory the Gold Coast is counted as a separate city because it is self reliant enough to justify it. They base this on a bunch of things including the flow of people for employment etc.

Blame the boffins but this is how it is done, otherwise Melbourne's population will have to drop back to 93,000
Sounds about right to me.. I would never even hazard that the 'Goldy' was part of Brissy...
Old Mar 15th 2012, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donna
i would say rent somewhere in the city for a couple of weeks and then spend a few days driving around to find out which surburb u like when u get here.By then u will also know where he will be working.Good luck
Yep, good advice.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Grayling.

I gave suburbs around North Lakes (Moreton) as an example of trying to find out about what the different areas were called.
We currently don't have a definate job to go out to - there are possible jobs that we're hopeful for but possible isn't definate is it!
So I'm trying to keep an open mind and it's really helpful to know should hubby get the job in Yatala where the nicer suburbs are in the Gold Coast/ Bayside?
Same with Richlands.
An should something come up north of Brisbane in the moreton area it's gonna be really helpful to know the good suburbs there!
We live in Murrumba Downs until Monday - we've just bought a house in Mango Hill which is the suburb over the road from North Lakes.

Murrumba Downs is nice, 2 minute drive from the gateway which is really handy for commutes.
Kallangur is a bit shitty. Sorry to anyone who lives there, but we lived there for a year - it was a bit crap and it's got a dodgy reputation.
Bray Park/Strathpine - Ok - bit bogan and not overly close to the motorway.
Warner is nice.
Petrie is ok
Lawnton bit bogan and parts can easily get flooded
Dakabin - bit far out
North Lakes - some nice house, some small houses, traffic is a bit heavy around school times but good location as close to Westfield and the motorways.
Mango Hill - obviously we like this suburb - we've just bought our house there !
Rothwell - ok in some areas not in others
Deception Bay - AVOID - bad bad reputation...

I'd only live in Murrumba Downs, North Lakes or Mango Hill out of all them.

If your hubby is working in Yatala I wouldn't recommend any of the north side suburbs - I work in Cannon Hill which is 30kms south east of where I live and my commute at 7am takes approx an hour.

Good luck with the move - hope all goes well
Old Mar 15th 2012, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by LouiseR
We live in Murrumba Downs until Monday - we've just bought a house in Mango Hill which is the suburb over the road from North Lakes.

Murrumba Downs is nice, 2 minute drive from the gateway which is really handy for commutes.
Kallangur is a bit shitty. Sorry to anyone who lives there, but we lived there for a year - it was a bit crap and it's got a dodgy reputation.
Bray Park/Strathpine - Ok - bit bogan and not overly close to the motorway.
Warner is nice.
Petrie is ok
Lawnton bit bogan and parts can easily get flooded
Dakabin - bit far out
North Lakes - some nice house, some small houses, traffic is a bit heavy around school times but good location as close to Westfield and the motorways.
Mango Hill - obviously we like this suburb - we've just bought our house there !
Rothwell - ok in some areas not in others
Deception Bay - AVOID - bad bad reputation...

I'd only live in Murrumba Downs, North Lakes or Mango Hill out of all them.

If your hubby is working in Yatala I wouldn't recommend any of the north side suburbs - I work in Cannon Hill which is 30kms south east of where I live and my commute at 7am takes approx an hour.

Good luck with the move - hope all goes well
Thank you Louise.

It's hard as there is no job right now to go out to only possibles, but I really appreciate the suburb advice - it's really helpful.
I'd love it if hubby could get something north but if he's working south then south it will be.
Can't get much better recommendation than you buying a house somewhere - that would be a huge thing for us.
Do you mind me asking if you have kids? and if you put the kids in school, got uniforms etc paid fees and then moved and had to do it all again?
We really want to place the kids in a school as early after arrival as possible to not only help them settle in but so we can get on with looking at rentals, and jobs etc. But I don't really want to be getting it all sorted then moving again

thanks again
Old Mar 16th 2012, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you Louise.

It's hard as there is no job right now to go out to only possibles, but I really appreciate the suburb advice - it's really helpful.
I'd love it if hubby could get something north but if he's working south then south it will be.
Can't get much better recommendation than you buying a house somewhere - that would be a huge thing for us.
Do you mind me asking if you have kids? and if you put the kids in school, got uniforms etc paid fees and then moved and had to do it all again?
We really want to place the kids in a school as early after arrival as possible to not only help them settle in but so we can get on with looking at rentals, and jobs etc. But I don't really want to be getting it all sorted then moving again

thanks again

Eatons Hill is very nice, good primary school, buses into the city and lots of sports and a big hotel (pub) just around the corner, it's got a few English peolple settled in the area and just far enough from the city but not too far. It's around 15 mins from Strathpine Shopping Centre and Chermside and it's all Northside, I suppose it would be about 25 mins from Northlakes.

I liked Northlakes however the traffic going home every night would put me off, the Australians have built these huge housing estates without the infrastructure to suppor them, if you are driving from the CBD to home every night the drive would be insane after a while, having said that lots do it.

We got our son into Grade1 in the January (we arrived the September before), he had already done the first year of schooling in the UK but did another year of grade 1 over here (they start older) and it was the best thing we did. We have kept them in the primary school they started in even though we moved out of the area slightly, good school is worth a commute to drop them off.

We have always lived Northside and it is true that you are either Southside or Northside and you don't tend to venture either side much, we love going up to Bribie Island for the day and the kids love the surf side, we are not huge fans of the gold coast but others love it.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you have

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.