Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Could someone explain Brisbane for me please

Could someone explain Brisbane for me please

Old Mar 12th 2012, 9:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could someone explain Brisbane for me please

Originally Posted by bingobob777
North Lakes and Ormeau are part of Brisbane the same way Stockport and Macclesfield are part of Manchester.

If you were looking for a house in Manchester would you search in rightmove for Stockport? No.

Ormeau and North Lakes are about the same distance apart as Glasgow and Edinburgh, do you consider them the same city?

You've had your head bitten off because your're being absolutely incorrect in referring to them as Brisbane.

Is that any clearer? I mean god forbid you would have to type more than a couple of words in to realestate.com.au
Getting your head around the sheer size of the country, the States and the cities is not always easy when you start out on the emigration road, and BE is here to help people not hinder them. Your idea of comparing the scale here is great - but why ruin it with the sarcastic comments?
Old Mar 12th 2012, 9:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Part of the problem arises because people insist on calling far flung places part of Brisbane.

Redlands, for instance, is not part of Brisbane but people always refer to it as a suburb of Brisbane...hence the confusion.
Indeed. Many Aussies refer to the entire area as Brisbane - I work with people who are Brisbane born and bred who talk about the area around North Lakes as being part of Brisbane so what hope is there for those people starting out?!!
Old Mar 12th 2012, 11:48 pm

Jensanco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Indeed. Many Aussies refer to the entire area as Brisbane - I work with people who are Brisbane born and bred who talk about the area around North Lakes as being part of Brisbane so what hope is there for those people starting out?!!
Thank you both.
Apologies for the outburst - moving house frustrations maybe?
I was looking for help in understanding the difference between Brisbane suburbs and those that come under a different name.
The majority of you have been gracious enough to be patient and helpful and I want you to know it is appreciated.
I appreciate perhaps this is a question that comes up in a variety of descriptions maybe but we want to get to know as much as we can about the country and state we'll soon be living in, my questions may not always be well worded but their intention isn't to offend or upset anyone - only to learn more.

Should a student be chastised for not knowing all the answers at the start of a new subject?
Old Mar 13th 2012, 12:12 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensanco
Thank you both.
Apologies for the outburst - moving house frustrations maybe?
I was looking for help in understanding the difference between Brisbane suburbs and those that come under a different name.
The majority of you have been gracious enough to be patient and helpful and I want you to know it is appreciated.
I appreciate perhaps this is a question that comes up in a variety of descriptions maybe but we want to get to know as much as we can about the country and state we'll soon be living in, my questions may not always be well worded but their intention isn't to offend or upset anyone - only to learn more.

Should a student be chastised for not knowing all the answers at the start of a new subject?

Hi there jensanco - Let us know roughly what your budget is for renting/buying a house. Also let us know what suburb you/ your husband will be working in.

That way, the folks on BE can give you some great info on where you should be looking to rent.

cheers
Old Mar 13th 2012, 4:18 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

The confusion arises because Brisbane metropolitan area has been under one council for decades, and so the boundaries of what is "Brisbane" are well defined. However in all the other capital cities the area that is actually 'Sydney', 'Melbourne', 'Adelaide', etc is relatively small with the result that the whole metropolitan area is known by the same name as the small central bit - think of it like London where the name strictly only applies to the City but is generally used to refer to the entire Greater London area.

So exactly where 'Adelaide' or 'Melbourne' extends to is not clear in terms of suburbs, but which suburbs constitute Brisbane and which don't is definitive. Postally Brisbane is just the 4000 post code, just as Sydney is 2000.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

North Lakes and Ormeau are part of Brisbane the same way Stockport and Macclesfield are part of Manchester.

If you were looking for a house in Manchester would you search in rightmove for Stockport? No.

Ormeau and North Lakes are about the same distance apart as Glasgow and Edinburgh, do you consider them the same city?

You've had your head bitten off because your're being absolutely incorrect in referring to them as Brisbane.

Is that any clearer? I mean god forbid you would have to type more than a couple of words in to realestate.com.au
How can Ormeau which comes under Gold Coast City Council jurisdiction be part of Brisbane???
Old Mar 13th 2012, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

I bet you feel very good about your self with that don't you. you have been so heplfull NOT. you need to take a good hard look at yourself.
:thumb down:
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:34 am

Jensanco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by asprilla
Hi there jensanco - Let us know roughly what your budget is for renting/buying a house. Also let us know what suburb you/ your husband will be working in.

That way, the folks on BE can give you some great info on where you should be looking to rent.

cheers
Asprilla I'd love to.
We were actually destined for Melbourne for a job but having sold the house we contacted the company hubby would be working for to say we'd sold and would be starting to make arrangements to get out there and did they have an exact date they'd like hubby to start and they replied saying they'd already given the job they'd said would be his on arrival to someone else - was a bit upset as they could have at least emailed to tell us!

Hubby has two possible positions just South of Brisbane? One at Yatala and one in Richlands, but we don't know if we'll find out before we get out there if he has managed to get one or neither of them :$. Not the best situation to be in really but there you go. Hubby is happy to do any job until he can get a position in his area of work but picking up just any job in the UK isn't easy so not sure about Australia.

With an uncertain job position we really don't want to pay more than about $450 per week for a rental, we have 4 children but don't have a problem with 2 of them sharing at least initially so a 4 bed min would be great, don't want an acreage or anything but enough room for the little two to play in the garden would be good.
I know the potential jobs are south of Brisbane but I'm leaning more to the North, I did look up a few schools in the Gold Coast??? area and was shocked really by the reviews for around half of the schools I looked into with comments like the school having serious bullying problems, and the worst one being that there was problems with knives being taken into school :$ and these would have been fairly good commute if hubby were to get the job in Yatala. He would be working shift work for either so perhaps traffic would be less of a problem. ( I appreciate it's only a handful but they would have been the places we'd be looking at commute wise to Yatala that would be a walk to school for the kids.

I'm not daft I know there can be a few louts even in the nice areas, but we'd prefer to live somewhere that is on the whole, family friendly, good infrastructure, we want to manage with one car if possible so having shops, generally good schools, parks, drs, pharmacy etc all in one area would be ideal.
I quite like the look of the North Lakes area but obviously I need to be realistic hubby wants to avoid an hours commute if he can

Jen

Last edited by Jensanco; Mar 13th 2012 at 8:37 am. Reason: trying to explain clearly
Old Mar 13th 2012, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

It is confusing because when referring to a city some people think it refers to the city council area, eg Brisbane City Council, when in most official cases the term Brisbane refers to the metro area which is far larger.

Melbourne and Sydney have exactly the same issue but this is mistaken in Brisbane more because the Brisbane City Council includes more suburbs than the Melbourne or Sydney City Councils so it is more obvious in those cities. Brisbane is no different to these cities in that regard.

So unless someone is specifically referring to the Brisbane City Council area, officially the term Brisbane refers to the Brisbane metro area which includes all of the council area's in Kim's link:

Brisbane City Council
Ipswich City Council
Logan City Council
Moreton Bay Regional Council
Redland City Council
Scenic Rim (part)

This means that the Redlands is in Brisbane and so is North Lakes, just not part of the Brisbane City Council.

Last edited by fish.01; Mar 13th 2012 at 9:59 am.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassie
How can Ormeau which comes under Gold Coast City Council jurisdiction be part of Brisbane???
It can't, that's my whole point
Old Mar 13th 2012, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert cowan
I bet you feel very good about your self with that don't you. you have been so heplfull NOT. you need to take a good hard look at yourself.
:thumb down:
Yeh I felt a bit guilty hence my subsequent post containing a link to a realestate search for all rental properties in the greater Brisbane region.

You otherwise have contributed a dig at me without actually providing any help, thanks for that.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jensanco
Asprilla I'd love to.
We were actually destined for Melbourne for a job but having sold the house we contacted the company hubby would be working for to say we'd sold and would be starting to make arrangements to get out there and did they have an exact date they'd like hubby to start and they replied saying they'd already given the job they'd said would be his on arrival to someone else - was a bit upset as they could have at least emailed to tell us!

Hubby has two possible positions just South of Brisbane? One at Yatala and one in Richlands, but we don't know if we'll find out before we get out there if he has managed to get one or neither of them :$. Not the best situation to be in really but there you go. Hubby is happy to do any job until he can get a position in his area of work but picking up just any job in the UK isn't easy so not sure about Australia.

With an uncertain job position we really don't want to pay more than about $450 per week for a rental, we have 4 children but don't have a problem with 2 of them sharing at least initially so a 4 bed min would be great, don't want an acreage or anything but enough room for the little two to play in the garden would be good.
I know the potential jobs are south of Brisbane but I'm leaning more to the North, I did look up a few schools in the Gold Coast??? area and was shocked really by the reviews for around half of the schools I looked into with comments like the school having serious bullying problems, and the worst one being that there was problems with knives being taken into school :$ and these would have been fairly good commute if hubby were to get the job in Yatala. He would be working shift work for either so perhaps traffic would be less of a problem. ( I appreciate it's only a handful but they would have been the places we'd be looking at commute wise to Yatala that would be a walk to school for the kids.

I'm not daft I know there can be a few louts even in the nice areas, but we'd prefer to live somewhere that is on the whole, family friendly, good infrastructure, we want to manage with one car if possible so having shops, generally good schools, parks, drs, pharmacy etc all in one area would be ideal.
I quite like the look of the North Lakes area but obviously I need to be realistic hubby wants to avoid an hours commute if he can

Jen
Seriously do not move to North Lakes if your husband is going to work in Yatala or Richlands.

Last edited by bingobob777; Mar 13th 2012 at 10:42 am.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

It can't, that's my whole point
Ok, I must have misinterpreted your quote:

"North Lakes and Ormeau are part of Brisbane"
Old Mar 13th 2012, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sassie
Ok, I must have misinterpreted your quote:

"North Lakes and Ormeau are part of Brisbane"
yeh you did, what I said was

Do you consider Macclesfield part of Manchester?
Old Mar 13th 2012, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

North Lakes is part of Brisbane, Ormeau isn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.