Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

coughs, colds and flu

coughs, colds and flu

Old Sep 6th 2003, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default coughs, colds and flu

Hi there, I have a theory that as soon as the weather changes and we're stuck indoors (school, workplaces etc) all the lurgies get passed about and we all get ill. Is this less likely to happen in a warmer climate, or are the lurgies worse because they're hardier?
Larissa
Fed up with a stinking cold
Atishoe!!! Just sneezed on you!!!!
Old Sep 6th 2003, 8:37 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: coughs, colds and flu

Originally posted by Larissa
Hi there, I have a theory that as soon as the weather changes and we're stuck indoors (school, workplaces etc) all the lurgies get passed about and we all get ill. Is this less likely to happen in a warmer climate, or are the lurgies worse because they're hardier?
Larissa
Just avoid ALL social intercourse and the lurgies will never find you.
Old Sep 6th 2003, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

We have some really nasty flu viruses around at the moment , most of the kids and adults have it around here. Tonite i have my youngest burning up and full of a cold , and we are now in spring , so we dont really get the cold to kill the germs. We have been lucky so far as this is the first bout we have all had and very nasty to. So looks like you cant escape the lurgies even in australia
Joanne
Old Sep 6th 2003, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Yep same here I'm afraid. Most Aussies around here have been complaining of the change in season giving them colds, coughs etc. But on the other hand we've been out here for 18 months and none of us has suffered yet, but I suppose it will catch up with us soon!!

Mandy

Originally posted by Larissa
Larissa
Old Sep 6th 2003, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, looks like I will have to become a hermit after all. We're supposed to be going out to a posh hotel in the New Forest to celebrate our wedding anniversary and I just want to curl up and sleep!!!! Well at least I won't have to wash up tonight!!!

Larissa
Old Sep 8th 2003, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Have been sick in bed for past three days here in Sunny Oz
(was sick at work and while travelling for work for 4 days before that so who knows how many Ozzies I have infected).

Have been here 12 months and was congratulating myself on how well I had been protected by the flu shot when the dreaded lurgy struck - and very hard too.

The schools in Adelaide have been very hard hit over the last few weeks.

Old Sep 8th 2003, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Sometimes you really wonder how people must perceive OZ, as if its one big disneyland perhaps.

Would you emigrate to USA and ask questions like do people get colds and flu there? People would look at you as if you were mad!

This is the second time we have had this post, Why do people think there is a Country on the planet where people do not get sick?

Think about it, how ridiculous is that?

Oh and by the way, tummy bugs and head lice love heat, really big problems here too!!

And kids get pimples and old folk get boils on there bums and babies even spit up milk.

Is it a coincidence that so many people post piccys of themselves at Disneyland, honestly I think some of you expect to get off the plane and the immigration officers will be wearing mickey mouse masks, spotted dresses and singing over the bloody rainbow.

Well that should incite a few posts over the next few days.

I shall now go an post the Question "Do people in America get colds and flus" on the USA forum and see if I get arrested for insanity.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I'd just like to verify the head lice thing. Never had any problem in UK dunno why but both kids have had them and ME TOO!!!!!EEEKkkkkkk. Yukkkkk. It's orrible!! Seem to have got it under control now. My son picked them up at holiday care then they had a super time jumping from head to head. I am now a manic mum with a bright green nit comb. If the kids sit still for long enough I pounce on them just "to check"

Diane (ooh I've suddenly gone all itchy - anyone else scrathing!)
Old Sep 8th 2003, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by DianeOZ
I'd just like to verify the head lice thing. Never had any problem in UK dunno why but both kids have had them and ME TOO!!!!!EEEKkkkkkk. Yukkkkk. It's orrible!! Seem to have got it under control now. My son picked them up at holiday care then they had a super time jumping from head to head. I am now a manic mum with a bright green nit comb. If the kids sit still for long enough I pounce on them just "to check"

People are too tight assed or too broke to pay for the potions to get rid of them. Huge problem here. Schools have finally started to crack down on lousy kids tho, up to last year it was classed as discrimination to send them home.

Get hair gel, the cheap clear stuff about $1.10 from woolies, slap it through the kids hair before school. I swear you will never see another louse again, it sticks their legs together and they cant grip the hair. 'Dottys chemical warfare on Lice guaranteed to work' but yeah your hair will be pretty crunchy ffom all the gel.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

It's not cheap for all the lotions n potions is it? I used about 1/2 a $15 bottle on my hair alone for one application! I've heard of the hair gel trick though and it does seem to work.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 8:09 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aussies don't wash anyway

Aussies don't wash anyway.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by dotty
Sometimes you really wonder how people must perceive OZ, as if its one big disneyland perhaps.

Would you emigrate to USA and ask questions like do people get colds and flu there? People would look at you as if you were mad!

This is the second time we have had this post, Why do people think there is a Country on the planet where people do not get sick?

Think about it, how ridiculous is that?

Oh and by the way, tummy bugs and head lice love heat, really big problems here too!!

And kids get pimples and old folk get boils on there bums and babies even spit up milk.

Is it a coincidence that so many people post piccys of themselves at Disneyland, honestly I think some of you expect to get off the plane and the immigration officers will be wearing mickey mouse masks, spotted dresses and singing over the bloody rainbow.

Well that should incite a few posts over the next few days.

I shall now go an post the Question "Do people in America get colds and flus" on the USA forum and see if I get arrested for insanity.
Well dotty, if you'd read my post, you'd have seen that I was under no illusions about actually getting ill... one question I asked was whether the bugs were hardier. The reason I was asking was to find out whether you get different types of viruses etc. due to the climate. Duh?

Maybe we should be asking if some people contract some sort of rude / arrogant disease when they've lived in Aus too long.

:scared:

Larissa
Briefly wound up, but lifes too short
Old Sep 8th 2003, 9:08 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DianeOZ

Nit combs are great for the walking ones, but crap for the eggs,esp if you have fine hair. I've yet to find ANYTHING that will 'un-glue' them from their hair.

My head feels alive with the little nasties now.........cheers
Old Sep 8th 2003, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

the only time my kids are nit free is during the holidays! they first got them just after starting nursery and when I spotted them we sorted it and told the nursery, they just said that it happens so often now they dont bother putting out notices anymore! I couldn't believe it. So now we are back to the routine of leaving conditioner in their hair once a week and going through their hair with a nit comb, my daughter has very fine hair and I have to pull the eggs out by hand! takes a while but if you keep on top of it it doesnt get too bad. We were taking bets amongst ourselves how many days they would be back at school before they got them again - no sign of the beasties so far!

PS I know quite a few kiwis who swear by active Manuka honey every day on toast to ward off colds - quite expensive for the high % activity though.

A very itchy nell
Old Sep 8th 2003, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Yeah - eating honey can also may help with hayfever, if you eat natural, local honey. Something to do with the honey containing the pollen and so your body can respond to the allergen better... not an expert.

Nits - apparently dabbing teatree oil behind your ears helps ward them off as they hate the smell. Bit of a problem though if you hate the smell. Being a teacher, I've often come across the little itchy ones and got my long hair cut not long after starting my first teaching post! With older kids you can educate them about not putting their heads together, but its much harder with little ones.
Perhaps you can tie their hair back well (girls) or give em a skinhead (boys!).

:scared:
I think that emoticon has got very bad nits - the hair is moving!
Also, in UK schools you aren't suposed to look for nits - this can be classed as assault!!! It was always really hard when to know to send a child home as it's such a dodgy issue. I always got the LSAs to send them home for me!!!

Larissa
PS Do the electric nit combs work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.