Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cottesloe & Fremantle ..... a locals perspective?

Cottesloe & Fremantle ..... a locals perspective?

Old May 18th 2008, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

amt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really nice
Default Cottesloe & Fremantle ..... a locals perspective?

Hi!!

I'm in my early 20's moving out in July ..... just wanting to get a locals perspective on Cottesloe and/or Fremantle as I've got about 2 days when I get there to find a house before I fly out for my first stint on a FIFO job....

Really appreciate any advice, especially regarding local amenities and any nightlife ..... I know they're both fairly pricey suburbs already so I guess just wanting an inside perspective on what they're like to live in!!!

Cheers,

Amy
Old May 19th 2008, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

leftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really nice
Default Re: Cottesloe & Fremantle ..... a locals perspective?

Hi
Cottesloe will probably be a bit more expensive than Fremantle.

Although Cottesloe has the beach there isn't much there really.
two pubs and a handful of restaurants /convenience stores.

Fremantle has much more going on with a more city/ town feel. Approximately 8 pubs couple of clubs, lots of shops and restaurants.

Its the only place in perth that I have been to that feels like it has any identity. ( I live in Fremantle so I am biased). Also there are a couple of beaches in town ( not great ones) but leighton Beach is 5 mins in car and cottesloe about 10-15mins.

As for getting a place to rent in a couple of days. You might have some trouble there. There are very few rentals available at the moment and often if you want to look at a place you have to wait until it is conveniant for the letting agent and then it is usually a group viewing with 20 odd people looking.

Check out http://www.realestate.com.au/ for rental prices.
Old May 19th 2008, 12:25 am
Just Joined

amt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really nice

I think the whole 2 day thing is going to prove a bit of an issue and the best plan atm is going to try and find a houseshare I think...... Fremantle's sounding more and more like the place I'm gonna focus on though, heard nothing but good things about it!! Is it best to try and stick to the city centre, how far out does the 'good' area stretch??

Amy
Old May 19th 2008, 12:41 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

nobodys mentioned the fremantle beggars and winos yet,hanging around the shopping centres during the day.
Also, hands up whod like to walk from little creatures thru the park to the Esplanade hotel after dark?
Freo is good but its not great.
Old May 19th 2008, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Wow, someone's on a bit of a downer about Perth eh?
Old May 19th 2008, 1:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
Wow, someone's on a bit of a downer about Perth eh?
Exactly. The homeless/wino/wanker problem there is no different from any other waterfront/trendy area in Australia.
Old May 19th 2008, 1:21 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

I agree but where exactly was the OP asking information about? please see thread title............................
Old May 20th 2008, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

leftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really nice

Originally Posted by this charming man
nobodys mentioned the fremantle beggars and winos yet,hanging around the shopping centres during the day.
Also, hands up whod like to walk from little creatures thru the park to the Esplanade hotel after dark?
Freo is good but its not great.
Yes there are these in Fremantle much like a British town centre ( thats why I like it). But at least its not death by suburbia.
Old May 20th 2008, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by amt383
I think the whole 2 day thing is going to prove a bit of an issue and the best plan atm is going to try and find a houseshare I think...... Fremantle's sounding more and more like the place I'm gonna focus on though, heard nothing but good things about it!! Is it best to try and stick to the city centre, how far out does the 'good' area stretch??

Amy
Just so you know the full picture lots of people in Perth complain that Fremantle is a 'rough' area.

But I think that is just due to there actually being people out and about having fun.
Old May 20th 2008, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by amt383
Hi!!

I'm in my early 20's moving out in July ..... just wanting to get a locals perspective on Cottesloe and/or Fremantle as I've got about 2 days when I get there to find a house before I fly out for my first stint on a FIFO job....

Really appreciate any advice, especially regarding local amenities and any nightlife ..... I know they're both fairly pricey suburbs already so I guess just wanting an inside perspective on what they're like to live in!!!

Cheers,

Amy
Hi Amy ...I've not been to Fremantle at night so can't personally comment. I do like it during the day though. I think you'll have Buckley's of finding a house in 2 days . There are a couple of 'Backpackers Hostels' which might suit your needs for 2 days
Best wishes.