Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Costs - School/Uniform/Other

Costs - School/Uniform/Other

Old Feb 27th 2007, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Willij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura about
Default Costs - School/Uniform/Other

Hi,

Been meaning to post this for a while - hope it may be of interest to people coming over with children.

I have 2 children year 2 and 5. Below is a list of what I have paid so far this school term. Obviously it is for a particular state primary school in Victoria but, hopefully, is reasonably representative. (If not, I'm sure someone will let me know.)

Exercise books + stationery box AUS $135 each
Term 1 activities - Year 2 $12
Term 1 activities - Year 5 $270 (incl. camp trip)

Optional activities:
Swimming training $7 (3 sessions)
Swimming matches $6 (bus fare if away)
Singing lessons $10 (1/2 hr group lesson)
After school sport $70 (run by private company)

Uniform:
Polo shirt, short sleeve $23.50 each
Netball skirt $20.50
Cycle shorts (worn under skirt) $15.50
Gaberdine shorts $17.50
Windcheater (sweatshirt) $22.50
Summer Dress $38.00
Bucket hat $13.00
School bag $27.00

Other activities:
Drama class $135 (10 sessions)
Soccer club $285 (incl. shorts, socks, jacket)
Judo $8 (per session)

We found it a lot of expenditure in one go - particularly the school uniform, which has to be purchased from the school. Also a lot of the other activities (such as soccer) have to be paid for at the beginning of the term/season.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Costs - School/Uniform/Other

Good idea - I'll chip in too ---- my costs are for Kindy (aged 4) and Reception in State Primary in SA (aged 5 nearly 6)

For reception (and would be same up to Class 3) I think!

Printed and Electronic Materials $70
Stationery Items $39
Access to materials and services $90
Access to library resources $40

So $239 in total for the whole year ... over here each child has own stationery, books etc - which need wrapping, labelling and so forth - add at least $20 for all that stuff!

Optional activities:
We don't get too involved in these at the moment but if hadn't been member of swimming pool, lessons through school are $2 each. Membership for whole family, for year, $140.

Uniform:
Polo shirt, short sleeve $25 each

However our children are allowed to wear non-logo uniform so get cheaper t-shirts, shorts etc from Target, K-Mart etc for about $8

Bucket hat $13.00
School rugby shirt $30.00

We don't have pe kit either which is so much easier and just have trainers for sports day or can wear every day - only other rule re: footwear must have a back (as in no thongs!)

Kindy :

My son is attending Kindy two mornings a week, he then attends Occasional Care immediately after so does two full days.

$88 per term
$1 per week for bus
$1 per week for lunch cover costs

Occasional care is now free as he's older but last term it was $5 a session.

Yes it's a lot to find at beginning of term/year but essentially we find school better equiped and better facilities so we've no complaints.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Costs - School/Uniform/Other

That's nothing guys, wait till they get to high school!
We have years 3, 4 and 8. The primary school wanted $106 and $113 for the younger 2, which covers text books, materials, photocopying etc. Plus extra for trips, school sport sessions, and competitions. To top the lot they then asked for $60 voluntary contribution per child!
Just as we are starting to recover from the shock of that, a bill turned up from the high school yesterday, asking for $609 for our year 8 son (of which $140 is voluntary contribution for the P&C.
When you consider that we've already spent a small fortune on uniforms (it's times like this that I miss Asda!), excercise books, all the basics etc. and the real killer, $4500 per year per child to the NSW government as we are on a 457 visa (apparently this fee only applies in NSW) we're beginning to wonder whether it might have been best to have left the kids at home!
Old Feb 28th 2007, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

andeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really niceandeos is just really nice

Is there any possibility to buy the things used? At our high school there is a small second hand market (private, but organized by the school) with used books at the end of each year - should be possible with clothes etc., too. You can save a lot through this.

Do they have it in AUS, too?
Old Feb 28th 2007, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andeos
Is there any possibility to buy the things used? At our high school there is a small second hand market (private, but organized by the school) with used books at the end of each year - should be possible with clothes etc., too. You can save a lot through this.

My daughters school sell second hand clothes. The books are all included in the school fee which was $240. She's in primary school, year 3.

My sons school requires you to buy a polo shirt, but that's all in the uniform department. I had to buy him writing books, pens and calculator (cost about $30 altogether) and his fees were $244 (year 9 at high school). He has to attend a trip this year as well, which is $150.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, both schools that my sons went to (primary and high) had a clothing pool where you could buy (and sell) used uniforms.

Also, a similar deal at the High School for used textbooks. No textbooks as such are used much in primary schools so not really necessary there.

Last edited by NickyC; Feb 28th 2007 at 6:13 am.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yanH
That's nothing guys, wait till they get to high school!
We have years 3, 4 and 8. The primary school wanted $106 and $113 for the younger 2, which covers text books, materials, photocopying etc. Plus extra for trips, school sport sessions, and competitions. To top the lot they then asked for $60 voluntary contribution per child!
Just as we are starting to recover from the shock of that, a bill turned up from the high school yesterday, asking for $609 for our year 8 son (of which $140 is voluntary contribution for the P&C.
When you consider that we've already spent a small fortune on uniforms (it's times like this that I miss Asda!), excercise books, all the basics etc. and the real killer, $4500 per year per child to the NSW government as we are on a 457 visa (apparently this fee only applies in NSW) we're beginning to wonder whether it might have been best to have left the kids at home!
We're looking into possibility of boarding school by then ... not what I would've thought I'd ever say but as so rural I fear our children may lack a bit of "towny" awareness and government do a lot of sponsorship for rural children as a result. It's a good opportunity for them, and they'd be home weekends so best of both worlds ... maybe!
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:47 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

And they like the school books covered in "contact" - more expense and very time consuming. My kids are 5, 7 and 8 so I basically had to do it otherwise they would have wrapped themselves up like mummies I fear! And this has to be fitted into the nightly homework shedule which seems to take forever too. I do like the routine that school brings but I am ready for the holidays again!

B
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

maybe of use, in victoria, if you have a prep staring of year 7 high school you get a cheque from government to help, its not means tested, its 300 dollars one off payment. Its not much in comparison but helps towards uniform

http://www.education.vic.gov.au/abou...olstartfaq.htm

thanks

sj
Old Mar 1st 2007, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Willij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jothefw
We're looking into possibility of boarding school by then ... not what I would've thought I'd ever say but as so rural I fear our children may lack a bit of "towny" awareness and government do a lot of sponsorship for rural children as a result. It's a good opportunity for them, and they'd be home weekends so best of both worlds ... maybe!
Funnily enough, my daughter said only yesterday, that she wouldn't mind boarding school - may have something to do with all the Enid Blyton books she's been reading.

I've got the ooposite problem - I'm afraid that she's getting too much 'towny' exposure and I'd like to slow things down a bit.

Fancy a swap.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Unfortunately, the school has only just started doing this and so there wasn't anything available in the right size.

I tried buying some cheaper shorts for my son but he keep complaining becuase they're too big (same label size as school ones but fit seems to vary enormously).
Old Mar 1st 2007, 4:53 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

We have bought a mix of school uniform and cheaper alternatives and I must say that the uniform is so much better quality that we're going to stick with that from now on. Besides, the cost is offset n=by the fact that they need so little other clothing I feel (they didn't have a uniform in the UK)

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by Willij
Unfortunately, the school has only just started doing this and so there wasn't anything available in the right size.

I tried buying some cheaper shorts for my son but he keep complaining becuase they're too big (same label size as school ones but fit seems to vary enormously).