Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Costs of obtaining visa's

Costs of obtaining visa's

Old May 18th 2005, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice
Default Costs of obtaining visa's

I have been on the site for a few months now and it appears most people obtain there visa's through an agent.

I started the process myself after having received a plan from www.livinginaustralia.com this cost me £100. They produced a plan and also provided links to the relevant documentation. I took it on from there and about 18mths down the line received my visa. The only thing an agent could have prevented for me was silly things like dates next to my employer's signature when providing a reference and may also have cut the time of processing by a couple of months.

Total cost of visa including medicals for myself, wife & daughter have come in at £2000.

Has anyone else out there gone through the process themselves and questioned why so many people use agents or have I just been lucky!!!!!
Old May 18th 2005, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

willkerr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Costs of obtaining visa's

We did ours without the aid of an agent. Not sure of the total cost in the end. I think it all depends on what type of application you are doing and if you have to TRA which by the sounds of it you need an agent to help with.

I wish agents had offered part services, such as checking an application or on an hourly rate for answering questions. I might have used one then but for the cost and how relatively simple our application seemed I could see the value in using an agent for it all.
Old May 18th 2005, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice

The link I provided offered the service on an hourly rate. After the initial £100 you could purchase more time from them if required. They also offered a time period free of charge after your initial plan had been produced. I was very impressed with them.

No threads I have read have mentioned them.

Anyway if anyone is looking to go it alone then try www.livinginaustralia.com
Old May 18th 2005, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

address was wrong, try this

www.liveinaustralia.com

it was nearly 2 yrs ago I used them now so apologies.
Old May 18th 2005, 5:12 pm
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bhoywonder
address was wrong, try this

www.liveinaustralia.com

it was nearly 2 yrs ago I used them now so apologies.

We used an Agent and our total cost (including meds, nursing reg fees, etc) has come to about £5600. A lot of money :scared: In hindsight we could have done it yourselves but at the time you believe an agent will help and take the stress out of it. For us this wasn't the case and we should have done it ourselves. I think if we knew about this site prior to starting the process we may have gone alone.

Carolyn
Old May 18th 2005, 6:52 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NAC
We used an Agent and our total cost (including meds, nursing reg fees, etc) has come to about £5600. A lot of money :scared: In hindsight we could have done it yourselves but at the time you believe an agent will help and take the stress out of it. For us this wasn't the case and we should have done it ourselves. I think if we knew about this site prior to starting the process we may have gone alone.

Carolyn
We have spent about £4500 all up.
Money well spent I think, if your case is simple then you probably could do it yourself.
If it is complicated or your evidence needs to be found and presented well, then an agent who knows what he's doing is worth the money.

luckily our first agent was crap at his job of migration agent and just at crap at collecting money, so we never ended up paying them.

Kevin
Old May 18th 2005, 7:30 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Yep Ive heard of them...I used them to..paid the £100.00 and about £1700 since in paperwork fees and Bobs ya uncle...visa 2 years later...and I had 2 major areas of dodgy ground on my application...so yes Id recommend them too
Old May 19th 2005, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Just thought I would bump this up as it appears www.liveinaustralia.com is a good option as an alternative to an agent and is nearly half the cost. For me the main issues were obtaining all the certified documentation and no agent can help you with that.
Old May 21st 2005, 1:04 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bhoywonder
The only thing an agent could have prevented for me was silly things like dates next to my employer's signature when providing a reference
Just so I don't do anything "silly": can you please clarify this for me: should there be a date next to the employer's signature or not? (Getting husband's signed next week.)

Thanks.

Gina
Old May 21st 2005, 1:09 pm
Banned

Hunkyhenry will become famous soon enough

I actually paid about $5,000 which was the whole bribe. I found that the Aussies would not move for less than $3000,00. Mind you I got photos of the the Ozzie guy in bed with a sheep which helped.

Usually you can bribe an Ozzie for very little money if you find out which football team they support and tell them that you are a supporter as well!!! Most Ozzies have got a brain the size of a pea and all the culture of a dog fouling the footpath, so just act the same and they will love you!!!!!
Old May 23rd 2005, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Just so I don't do anything "silly": can you please clarify this for me: should there be a date next to the employer's signature or not? (Getting husband's signed next week.)

Thanks.

Gina
Gina they do look for a date next to the signature. Our application came back because we were missing that detail. It safeguards against using an old reference.

If you have anymore queries then please let me know