Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Costs of Nursing Care for British Citizen

Costs of Nursing Care for British Citizen

Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

CarrieW is on a distinguished road
Default Costs of Nursing Care for British Citizen

Hi - hope you don't mind I have come over from the Italy expat board to ask those of you in the know about Australia a little question.

My husband's grandmother moved to Australia from the UK last September and got married to her childhood sweetheart (at the age of 80 - bless her!). Sadly, a few weeks ago she suffered a severe stroke and was rushed to hospital where things were touch and go for a while. She has now been transferred to a rehab home where they are trying to rehabilitate her using physio and help her get the most mobility she can. My mother in law has just got back from a 2 week visit and has managed to get the hospital care costs covered (we think) but as my husband's grandmother had not added herself to her new husband's health insurance they will have to pay for the rehab home and should she need a full time nursing home (which it is looking likely she will) she will also need to pay for that herself.
My mother in law has been told that it may be possible, as nan is still a British citizen, that this cost could by covered by the UK health service. Does any one know if this is the case, and if so where we could find out some more info on the situation.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give.
Carrie
Old Mar 5th 2007, 10:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costs of Nursing Care for British Citizen

Originally Posted by CarrieW
My husband's grandmother moved to Australia from the UK last September and got married to her childhood sweetheart (at the age of 80 - bless her!).
What is her visa status in Australia?
Old Mar 6th 2007, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

CarrieW is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Costs of Nursing Care for British Citizen

The info I have from my mother in law is that the visa was extended to 13th May 2007 to give their marriage certificate a chance to arrive. Immigration have now said that they will extend it from then on a ‘medical treatment’ visa (or something like that). She has a reciprocal Medicare card on the way which should, hopefully, cover the hospital costs.

Thanks again
Carrie