Reload this Page >

Costs of Living in Sydney...

Costs of Living in Sydney...

Old Sep 10th 2010, 2:07 am
Just Joined

AmyV is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Costs of Living in Sydney...

Hi All,

I'm hoping to get some advice on the costs involved with living in Sydney. My husband has been offered a job transfer from Boston, MA, where we currently live, to Sydney. Having read through some recent threads on the forum concerning the costs of living in Australia, and Sydney in particular, I'm worried that my husband's salary won't be enough to support us comfortably.

He will be earning around 100K plus maybe a little more with commission. Boston is quite an expensive city and before that we lived in London, so we are used to not being particularly frivolous with money, but I was hoping maybe a couple in a similar situation could breakdown some estimated costs for the essentials with living in Sydney, for example rent, food, utilities, so we could get an idea of what we're looking at? We don't have any kids and would probably not need a car.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costs of Living in Sydney...

Originally Posted by AmyV
Hi All,

I'm hoping to get some advice on the costs involved with living in Sydney. My husband has been offered a job transfer from Boston, MA, where we currently live, to Sydney. Having read through some recent threads on the forum concerning the costs of living in Australia, and Sydney in particular, I'm worried that my husband's salary won't be enough to support us comfortably.

He will be earning around 100K plus maybe a little more with commission. Boston is quite an expensive city and before that we lived in London, so we are used to not being particularly frivolous with money, but I was hoping maybe a couple in a similar situation could breakdown some estimated costs for the essentials with living in Sydney, for example rent, food, utilities, so we could get an idea of what we're looking at? We don't have any kids and would probably not need a car.

Well Sydney is more expensive than London. $100K's not really a lot of money. Depends on the lifestyle you want to lead.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:37 am
ABCDiamond

Hi All,

One thing that may help to understand incomes required is a survey at: http://www.livesalary.com.au/salary-...&frommonths=12

It shows for Sydney Full Time:
25% of your peer group makes less than $52,000
25% of your peer group makes $52,000 - $70,000
25% of your peer group makes $70,000 - $100,000
25% of your peer group makes more than $100,000
Therefore on your income you will be in the top 25% income group.

It shows the Median Total Salary Package as $81,205 which is equal to a salary of $74,500 + super.

Rent can vary a lot depending on what part of Sydney you choose.

Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

No kids, no car? You'll be fine.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 5:28 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's tricky because everyone has different definitions of what constitutes "comfortable" but I think you'll be fine esp. if you don't need a car. (And if you lived carfree in London and Boston, you won't have any trouble living car-free in Sydney).

IMO, costs are a little higher than in London or NYC but not radically so. Nothing is cheap particularly.

But don't forget that if you fly back to the NE USA once a year, that's a good $3-4,000 cost in one shot... Hmm...
Old Sep 10th 2010, 6:13 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
No kids, no car? You'll be fine.
What he said!!!
Old Sep 10th 2010, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paddyo
What he said!!!
I agree!

As I always say, I used to have a disposable income, now I have children
Old Sep 10th 2010, 7:26 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
I agree!

As I always say, I used to have a disposable income, now I have children
I was thinking along those lines too........

Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
And if you lived carfree in London and Boston, you won't have any trouble living car-free in Sydney
Apart from the fact that public transport is a thousand times better in London than it is in Sydney.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Supertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
One thing that may help to understand incomes required is a survey at: http://www.livesalary.com.au/salary-...&frommonths=12

It shows for Sydney Full Time:
25% of your peer group makes less than $52,000
25% of your peer group makes $52,000 - $70,000
25% of your peer group makes $70,000 - $100,000
25% of your peer group makes more than $100,000
Therefore on your income you will be in the top 25% income group.

It shows the Median Total Salary Package as $81,205 which is equal to a salary of $74,500 + super.

Rent can vary a lot depending on what part of Sydney you choose.
Hi. We are moving out in the new year too and I am only on 80K, so sounds like you will be ok. Same as you no kids, no car. Hopefully my husband will get work quite soon after we arrive though, so we should go over the 100K relatively quickly I think. Although, does anyone know what a teacher is paid on average in Sydney??? This will help my husband.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 11:35 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Apart from the fact that public transport is a thousand times better in London than it is in Sydney.
I am a slave to Sydney Buses, it ain't good but it gets me there.....eventually@!
Old Sep 10th 2010, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Eloisa will become famous soon enough

Hi Amy, do you have plans to work? That's an option maybe if you found you were struggling. I have to agree though, no car, no kids, you should be fine if you rent wisely.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:03 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Eloisa
Hi Amy, do you have plans to work? That's an option maybe if you found you were struggling. I have to agree though, no car, no kids, you should be fine if you rent wisely.
Thats a good point...Amy...what are YOU going to do to contribute to your lifestyle??
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

AmyV is an unknown quantity at this point

I definately plan to look for work when we arrive and come from an Education Administration background so I'm hoeful of finding something. I just wanted to make sure we'd be alright in the scenario that I may not find employment at first...
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:17 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

I definately plan to look for work when we arrive and come from an Education Administration background so I'm hoeful of finding something. I just wanted to make sure we'd be alright in the scenario that I may not find employment at first...
Thats a good approach and exactly what we did...plan for the worst and hope for the best.
Adult or child education?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.