Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Costs associated with settling down?

Costs associated with settling down?

Old Jan 15th 2007, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

dade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nice
Default Costs associated with settling down?

Trying to figure out how much we can expect to spend on the initial one-off costs associated with settling down. Going to Melbourne. I'm sure I've left a lot of things out. Please add to my list and if posible please share how much you had to pay for what:

Temp accomodation
6 months rent + bond (in case we have to offer to do this)
furniture items and whitegoods
car hire
car purchase
Day care/nursery
sim cards
electricity connection
gas connection
telephone connection
internet connection
Old Jan 15th 2007, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Re: Costs associated with settling down?

Originally Posted by dade
Trying to figure out how much we can expect to spend on the initial one-off costs associated with settling down. Going to Melbourne. I'm sure I've left a lot of things out. Please add to my list and if posible please share how much you had to pay for what:

Temp accomodation
car hire
car purchase
Day care/nursery
sim cards
electricity connection
gas connection
telephone connection
internet connection
You will definately have to put a bond down on a rental, its usually 4 weeks rental.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 9:00 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Temp accomodation
car hire
car purchase
Day care/nursery
sim cards
electricity connection
gas connection
telephone connection
internet connection
Initial deposit into bank account (although strictly not an expenditure)
Potentially, a term deposit to get a local Australian credit card (to escape forex fees when using UK credit card) - HSBC Australia does this for people without credit history I am not commercially related to HSBC Australia
Fee for driver's licence

Peter
Old Jan 15th 2007, 9:13 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Temp accomodation
car hire
car purchase
Day care/nursery
sim cards
electricity connection
gas connection
telephone connection
internet connection
I assume you are briging this over by container?
other things - cultery/pans etc to make do with before container arrived
we had car seat for toddler,
cheap TV: something to do when stuck in the evening billy no mates & toddler to curb going out for a drink or 2 (again before container arrives)
money aside for other items like Dr visits/prescriptions
we also bought stuff that had been put on hold in UK - like large patio set (doubled up as dining rm table/chairs), bed for us (we always wanted a king size, & I lurveeee the space)

we found that for many weekends if we did not spend into the 4 figures we were not trying hard enough. Was very scary spending when there is no income and no job secured.

Expect it to take ages to buy a few items - not knowing where or whom sell what you want and is it a good price? Ensure you bargin for better prices especially on big items, even david Jones or Myer you can push for free delivery but not really on price of goods.