Costs

Old Feb 14th 2013, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Gardgang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Costs

Hi everyone

I just wanted opinions on the cost of living in oz. I have looked at old threads but wanted it to be similar to our family and people's actual living.
We will be a family of 5 come July. All children under 6.
Anyone who replies(thank you) could you let me know if that includes things like insurances (health, car etc) schooling and running a car, electric, council tax or similar versions of it etc?
Thanks

Sam
Old Feb 14th 2013, 9:54 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costs

Originally Posted by Gardgang
Hi everyone

I just wanted opinions on the cost of living in oz. I have looked at old threads but wanted it to be similar to our family and people's actual living.
We will be a family of 5 come July. All children under 6.
Anyone who replies(thank you) could you let me know if that includes things like insurances (health, car etc) schooling and running a car, electric, council tax or similar versions of it etc?
Thanks

Sam
Hi Gardgang

It would be useful if you let people know where abouts you are headed and what visa you will be coming on.

Old Feb 15th 2013, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

wolfhound77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I am in the same situation as Gardgang....

Been offered sponsorship on a 457 visa, and can choose Melbourne or Sydney to live.
My wife and 2 year daughter will be coming too, like Gardgang I'd like to find out the average costs so I can see if my offer would be .

I know for a decent rented house 45min outside city would be approx $600 + per week, but (on average) how much is:

- Gas /Electricity ?
- Broadband ?
- Food ?
- Car (reliable hatch car)
- Petrol

At the start it will just be my wage so want to find out how far my monthly wage would stretch. Also my wife is a primary school teacher and could look for work once settled in, but probably not in the first 2-3 months.

Also what is the current income tax rate in OZ?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 5:13 pm
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wolfhound77
Hi,

I am in the same situation as Gardgang....

Been offered sponsorship on a 457 visa, and can choose Melbourne or Sydney to live.
My wife and 2 year daughter will be coming too, like Gardgang I'd like to find out the average costs so I can see if my offer would be .

I know for a decent rented house 45min outside city would be approx $600 + per week, but (on average) how much is:

- Gas /Electricity ?
- Broadband ?
- Food ?
- Car (reliable hatch car)
- Petrol

At the start it will just be my wage so want to find out how far my monthly wage would stretch. Also my wife is a primary school teacher and could look for work once settled in, but probably not in the first 2-3 months.

Also what is the current income tax rate in OZ?

Thanks in advance.
Hi mate, cost of living varies a lot depending on where you are, Sydney and Melboune are pretty expensive if you want to live somewhere reasonably nice.

My wife is a primary school teacher doing relief teaching at the moment on the east coast, and let me tell you work is bloody thin on the ground, if your wife wants a full time job she will most likely only get that in remote areas, aboriginal communities or isolated outback towns, in the cities there are many more teachers than jobs.

The teachers in Victoria are on strike as we speak, the pay isn't that great for the amount of work that a teacher does either.

Stretching one wage between two people isn't going to be eay, in my opinion you need at least 75k AUD a year to be comfortable in any sense of the word in Australia at the moment, and that's if you live frugaly, have a second hand car and don't go out much.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Hi Pomikev..

Thanks for the info on the teaching situation in Victoria...

My wife is also qualified in Special needs and also could look at working as a classroom assistant.

I think the extra income would make a great difference to us, to keep us further above water.

I don't want to make the move down under to be scrimping...( been there, done that :-) ) ... a comfortable lifestyle is want we're looking for.

Some more research and fine tuning of our finances is needed, before making the big decision.

Cheers!!
Old Feb 15th 2013, 5:37 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pomikev..

Thanks for the info on the teaching situation in Victoria...

My wife is also qualified in Special needs and also could look at working as a classroom assistant.

I think the extra income would make a great difference to us, to keep us further above water.

I don't want to make the move down under to be scrimping...( been there, done that :-) ) ... a comfortable lifestyle is want we're looking for.

Some more research and fine tuning of our finances is needed, before making the big decision.

Cheers!!
The 457 visa isn't the best visa to be moving a family on either because if you lose your job, you have 4 weeks to find another or leave the country. Is there any chance of getting them to sposor you on a permanent visa?
Old Feb 15th 2013, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Good point old.sparkles..

I haven't accepted the offer yet, so can ask sponsor if this is possible.

It maybe possible if sponsor and me are happy with job and can see us staying longer in Oz, and could then apply for residency. i.e. Employer Nomination Scheme ?

But I understand that if things go sour, then 4 weeks is not that long to get a new job.

Thanks!
Old Feb 16th 2013, 7:31 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

Also my wife is a primary school teacher and could look for work once settled in, but probably not in the first 2-3 months.
Also - Primary school teachers are not on the list of skilled occupations needed at the moment.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1.pdf
Old Feb 16th 2013, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by pomikev
Also - Primary school teachers are not on the list of skilled occupations needed at the moment.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1.pdf
But OP's wife would get same working conditions as OP and wouldn't need to have a skill in demand on his visa

You also need to check the CSOL which lists Schedule 1 and Schedule 2 occupations

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...tions-csol.pdf
Old Feb 16th 2013, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Don't pick Sydney, if you're coming on a 457.

You'll have to pay $4.5k for your daughter to attend state schools (when the time comes), if you do.

Victoria doesn't charge school fees for 457 visa holders (at the moment).
Old Feb 16th 2013, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info NickyC :-)
Old Feb 16th 2013, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney would be well above $600 per week for a decent rented house wihtin 45 minutes of city.